Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8336 8337 [8338] 8339 8340 ... 10974

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13002614 times)

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #125055 on: August 06, 2017, 11:01:10 pm »

So this is kinda just something I thought of that I'm done pondering over in my head. It makes zero sense to me why fans cool you down. I mean think about it, heat comes from the motion of atoms. That's not just an outdated science fact, right? So why would a fan, which just moves air, make you cooler when realistically it's making the air hotter by an incredibly small amount? So why doesn't a fan make you hotter?

It evaporates the sweat on your skin man. Same reason if it's 100% (or w/e) humidity, then you can't cool down even in low-ish temperatures.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #125056 on: August 06, 2017, 11:01:21 pm »

Normally your body is hotter than the surrounding air. So your heat naturally dissipates out into the air. But as that happens, you're making the air immediately around you hotter, which in turn makes it harder for more heat to escape your body. If the air is moving, new, cooler air is passing over your body constantly, making it easier to cool off.
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #125057 on: August 06, 2017, 11:14:00 pm »

So this is kinda just something I thought of that I'm done pondering over in my head. It makes zero sense to me why fans cool you down. I mean think about it, heat comes from the motion of atoms. That's not just an outdated science fact, right? So why would a fan, which just moves air, make you cooler when realistically it's making the air hotter by an incredibly small amount? So why doesn't a fan make you hotter?

Saying that heat comes from the motion of atoms is one of those statements that's correct depending on how it's clarified. It is possible, for instance, for something very cold to be moving very quickly. 'Heat' refers to a chaotic motion of particles, and thus is unrelated to most kinds of purposeful motions.

A person who is hot radiates heat into the air around them, based both on convection (the heating most people think about) and by thermal radiation (You are Radioactive Man! Sorry, it's slightly less thrilling than people make it out to be). If the temperature is in the 80-95 range and the air is still, this means you're surrounded by air that's picked up most of the heat it can from your skin, and by waving a hand fan you can move that air out of the way and replace it with new, cooler air. Now, friction both at the surface of your skin and the surface of the fan will increase the temperature of the air, but that is a very minute effect unless the speeds are absurdly high, and then you have other problems.

Now, if the temperature is above human core temp (98.6), using a fan is still refreshing, because you're very likely sweating. Sweat is water, and water likes to be free and evaporate into the air. This change of phase (liquid to gas) requires some amount of energy, and it also requires there be relatively little humidity (already present water vapor). If the air is still, your body will rapidly humidify the air around you, and thus lose the ability to cool via evaporation. By fanning yourself while sweaty, you feel much cooler (even if the air you're moving across your body is in excess of your core temp) because the phase change taking place on the surface of your skin is taking energy from your flesh.

I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Caz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125058 on: August 06, 2017, 11:40:46 pm »

Dragnen gave a good explanation I suppose, but yea if you wanna be cool grab a fan or at least put some water on yourself, tho this is less useful if you're in a hot and humid place. Keep hydrated and run away if your country goes over 20c regularly, too warm tbh.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #125059 on: August 06, 2017, 11:52:27 pm »

One tray of ice into a tub of cold water.  Allow to sit until the ice melts. Stir the water. Sit in the water.

This will lower your body temperature below environmental levels, allowing you to operate in the environment again comfortably.  I did something similar when I went to scout camp (waaaaaaay back) in 106F weather. The camp was driven by well water (so a nice 50F), so I filled the rain barrel up, and used it as a cold water jacuzzi. Did eventually get in trouble, but it was VERY popular with the rest of the troupe in that weather. Sure beat sweating in hot humid weather.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #125060 on: August 07, 2017, 06:47:56 am »

One tray of ice into a tub of cold water.  Allow to sit until the ice melts. Stir the water. Sit in the water.

This will lower your body temperature below environmental levels, allowing you to operate in the environment again comfortably.  I did something similar when I went to scout camp (waaaaaaay back) in 106F weather. The camp was driven by well water (so a nice 50F), so I filled the rain barrel up, and used it as a cold water jacuzzi. Did eventually get in trouble, but it was VERY popular with the rest of the troupe in that weather. Sure beat sweating in hot humid weather.
Nothing beats a bucket of cold water in a tropical nation

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
  • Normal Person Doing Normal Things
    • View Profile
« Reply #125061 on: August 07, 2017, 08:39:03 am »

This feels like one of those things that only I didn't know xD Thanks for telling me!

Keep hydrated and run away if your country goes over 20c regularly, too warm tbh.

I live in Texas, so I've had to deal with 100 degrees before (in Fahrenheit because I'm a dumb American). Honestly I can't wait to get out.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #125062 on: August 07, 2017, 08:56:12 am »

Gases aren't particularly great at conducting heat, which is why when you open an oven that's been at 400F it doesn't cook your face.

Ain't it a dry heat in Texas?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125063 on: August 07, 2017, 09:09:16 am »

Ain't it a dry heat in Texas?

Yup. I'm pretty sure this is where Satan makes his jerky.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125064 on: August 07, 2017, 09:46:31 am »

I live in Texas, so I've had to deal with 100 degrees before (in Fahrenheit because I'm a dumb American). Honestly I can't wait to get out

Sorry to hear this. It's alright man one day you will escape!!

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Love, scriver~

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125066 on: August 07, 2017, 10:04:19 am »

I live in Texas, so I've had to deal with 100 degrees before (in Fahrenheit because I'm a dumb American). Honestly I can't wait to get out.

The heat isn't so bad once you get used to it to be honest. Once you get over the fact that it's literally over 100 degrees, you sort of just forget about it and focus on the worst part: ants. More specifically, fire ants that are desperate for water and willing to swarm you just to consume your sweat. Any water or food product of any kind is going to become a massive pile of ants in a short period of time. Now that's a problem a fan can't fix.

The stylish black cloaks of the Game of Thrones rangers is actually made from cheap IKEA rugs xD

I don't watch game of thrones, but I still find that hilarious for so many reasons.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125067 on: August 07, 2017, 10:12:45 am »

The stylish black cloaks of the Game of Thrones rangers is actually made from cheap IKEA rugs xD

Shouldn't surprise you that those Hollywood costume designers can work miracles from cheap materials.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #125068 on: August 07, 2017, 10:20:13 am »

The heat isn't so bad once you get used to it to be honest. Once you get over the fact that it's literally over 100 degrees, you sort of just forget about it and focus on the worst part: ants. More specifically, fire ants that are desperate for water and willing to swarm you just to consume your sweat. Any water or food product of any kind is going to become a massive pile of ants in a short period of time. Now that's a problem a fan can't fix.

Clearly you haven't tried a bigger fan!
Love, scriver~

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #125069 on: August 07, 2017, 11:19:45 am »

Not really a wtf, but not sure where else to put it.

I'm rebuilding a pathfinder character and decide to give it the Explorer's Outfit.

This set of clothes is for someone who never knows what to expect. It includes sturdy boots, leather breeches or a skirt, a belt, a shirt (perhaps with a vest or jacket), gloves, and a cloak. Rather than a leather skirt, a leather overtunic may be worn over a cloth skirt. The clothes have plenty of pockets (especially the cloak). The outfit also includes any extra accessories you might need, such as a scarf or a wide-brimmed hat.

Is it just me or is that referencing both Matrim Cauthon from WoT and Kvothe from Name of the Wind?
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread
Pages: 1 ... 8336 8337 [8338] 8339 8340 ... 10974