Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8358 8359 [8360] 8361 8362 ... 10984

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13204476 times)

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #125385 on: August 15, 2017, 09:30:23 am »

"your a bad person"
Disgusting.

I am not saying you're a bad person for using your instead of you're, especially considering english is your native language... but you're a bad person for doing so.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125386 on: August 15, 2017, 09:31:50 am »

Why is Green Technology so frequently targeted for Pseudoscience and Faulty Science?

No, I don't mean "Solar energy is bunk!"

I mean "This is solar powered, which means it even generates power as it cleans your entire house"
Because free electricity/performance is something people will always respond to. And people associate (fairly rightly) renewables with free power. While people reason that anything involving coal or oil must have a catch.

See also quantum zero-point energy extraction scams. There actually is energy lurking around in vacuum, we just can't use it. And a lot of other Quantum stuff because the word sounds sciency.

Green technology, or more specifically renewables, seems a lot less exclusively the domain of the liberal left these days, partly because free energy is, and seems like, such a damn good idea. For example, Trump's solar powered wall that dispenses free soup to unemployed Mexicans, or China's massive focus on renewables.

Actually, China IS trying to pivot away from coal fuelled plants and is pivioting hard to catch up with the rest of the world.

Also, a few years ago, there was this ad floating around purpoting to have found some incredible source of power from grains of something, allegedly it was just sand... really, sand, which you melt down to make glass.... If it turned out to be an incredible source of power, it'd have been found out LONG ago.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #125387 on: August 15, 2017, 09:35:04 am »

mutter mutter cold fusion mutter e=mc^2 mutter  :P
One wheel short of a wagon

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #125388 on: August 15, 2017, 09:38:25 am »

Update on the Openxcom thing:

Trollium was created to prevent the player from immediately researching the alien electronics. Capture aliens and eventually you'll get the research from interrogating an engineer, leader, or commander.

Same goes for alien codes, too, which are also required to research the Data Slate.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125389 on: August 15, 2017, 10:08:09 am »

China's massive focus on renewables.
I never thought I'd see the day when China was focusing more on renewables than America

Trollium was created to prevent the player from immediately researching the alien electronics. Capture aliens and eventually you'll get the research from interrogating an engineer, leader, or commander.

Same goes for alien codes, too, which are also required to research the Data Slate.
I can't tell if that guy is an asshole, or awesome, I'm going to settle on Magnificent Bastard (as in the trope) until further notice

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #125390 on: August 15, 2017, 10:10:52 am »

What was the rest of the mod?

if good then sure, hes a swell guy.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #125391 on: August 15, 2017, 10:11:32 am »

"your a bad person"
You're worse than Hitler *slaps Neonivek*

There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #125392 on: August 15, 2017, 10:26:15 am »

The mod is OK, there is a lot of men in black instead of real aliens, but otherwise fine.

With the trollium, I later looked at openxcom forums and found out that it is to prevent crashing on research topics only gainable by interrogations. The real problem was, that in order to research Alien Data Slates, I had to already know Alien Electronics, which are rarely gleaned from... Alien Data Slates.

The other prerequisite of the slates was Alien Codes, which I already had. I just removed the need for AE, because I was stuck researchwise.

Edit:

I just reread the original file (I kept backup) and yes, you can get it from engineers. The problem is, catching them alive.
Even now, that I capture aliens with stun rods (Because Dart rifles are terribly inaccurate) and have losses trying to do so, I mostly just get navigators, sometimes medics.

The fact that the most common aliens are Anthropods, which do not have ranks does not help things.

I just think that it should not be required to catch the correct live aliens to get the tech to identify which aliens to catch. Though then again I was going by the tech tree image that came with the mod and which does not seem to be correct.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 10:38:23 am by Mathel »
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #125393 on: August 15, 2017, 10:31:17 am »

You know what I am starting to find hilarious?

When someone goes "Now, I am not saying your a bad person" and then goes "But your a bad person"

So here is my #1 Rule for "I am not saying your a bad person": If you NEED to say it, you probably are saying they are a bad person.

Neon, I'm not saying you're a festering blight upon humanity whose irredeemable vileness undermines the strong and corrupts the weak, and who regularly disgorges rotting mental vitriol of such unspeakable and blasphemous purulence that the reeking stench of it brings forth tears in the eye of almighty God, but a bit of context would not go amiss for why that's a WTF.

I'd ding you for the grammar too, but other people have already done that.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #125394 on: August 15, 2017, 10:39:26 am »

trollium

I just want to say that this is literally what cobalt means. Like, literally literally.
Love, scriver~

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #125395 on: August 15, 2017, 10:43:21 am »

trollium

I just want to say that this is literally what cobalt means. Like, literally literally.

True, but should not X-COM already know cobalt?
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125396 on: August 15, 2017, 10:44:17 am »

but a bit of context would not go amiss for why that's a WTF

It is just a really general statement.

I could probably google "I am not saying you're a bad person" and get a few examples it is such a hilariously prolific problem.

But look I am not saying you are a bad person, I am just saying every single thing you do is bad.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 10:48:56 am by Neonivek »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125397 on: August 15, 2017, 10:47:45 am »

trollium

Kobolds (where the name eventually derived from) and Goblins aren't the same as Trolls. Though it might be different in Scandinavian mythology.

trollium

True, but should not X-COM already know cobalt?

Trollium in that mod is the same as unobtanum, just more blatant in the trolling.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #125398 on: August 15, 2017, 11:18:21 am »

Im not saying youre a bad person

is like saying

Its not you, baby, its me
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #125399 on: August 15, 2017, 01:02:47 pm »

trollium

Kobolds (where the name eventually derived from) and Goblins aren't the same as Trolls. Though it might be different in Scandinavian mythology.

Cobalt is "kobold/goblin iron", ie stone that tricks you into thinking it's iron when it's actually lethal gasses when you try to refine it, ie stone that trolls you.

Also trolls is literally beings of only Scandinavian folklore, modern spread exempted.

Also also trolling does not refer to the mythic unanimal but to the fishing method.
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 8358 8359 [8360] 8361 8362 ... 10984