Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8385 8386 [8387] 8388 8389 ... 10983

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13184690 times)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #125790 on: August 23, 2017, 07:03:01 pm »

Tony Montana was a cockroach
Muslims cannot eat Tony Montana
He is 90% indescribable rage and 10% cocaine. I think that's..... *hits buttons on calculator* .....100% non-kosher.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #125791 on: August 23, 2017, 07:45:52 pm »

Oh goddammit.

Updated Firefox and now none of my add-ons work. Of particular note is my now-absent adblocker.

How the hell do people browse without blocking ads nowadays?! Damn things are everywhere!
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #125792 on: August 23, 2017, 07:48:18 pm »

Oh goddammit.

Updated Firefox and now none of my add-ons work. Of particular note is my now-absent adblocker.

How the hell do people browse without blocking ads nowadays?! Damn things are everywhere!

There's usually a built-in one that you can enable.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #125793 on: August 23, 2017, 08:00:42 pm »

I absolutely love adblockers.

But then again I dont really peruse sites that spam at me
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #125794 on: August 23, 2017, 09:16:15 pm »

That's good, fake ham is probably even worse than everything else.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #125795 on: August 23, 2017, 09:16:49 pm »

Hey, whats the reasoning for having two different words for magma?

surface magma is called lava why?

The difference as its been explained to me has to do with whether its under pressure or not. Lava, having an access route to the surface, is no longer under significant pressure. Magma is. When magma attains surface access its usually associated with some sort of explosive outburst, even if its a small one, theres always the pressure of rocks above it pressing down and the gasses within seeking an outlet.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #125796 on: August 23, 2017, 09:34:56 pm »

That's good, fake ham is probably even worse than everything else.
It's not that they can't, Muslims won't eat spam
Also they can't
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

Avarice

• Bay Watcher
  • ××××××××
    • View Profile
« Reply #125797 on: August 23, 2017, 09:42:27 pm »

So correct me if I'm wrong...
But have we come to the conclusion because muslims dont like spam they use ad blockers?
××××××××××××××××××

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125798 on: August 23, 2017, 09:49:06 pm »

Honestly spam isn't that bad. Fry it up over a camp fire and it's a (probably) food item. And it's fairly easy to have with you and cook when camping.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #125799 on: August 23, 2017, 09:53:34 pm »

I'm not a vegan or a vegetarian or whatever, hell, I'm practically a carnivore. But these questions don't seem that hard or hugely important to the idea to me. You just need to make the realization that just because somethings the good thing to do or the right thing to do doesn't mean that absolutely every aspect about it will be an upside.

What to do with the animals: Stop breeding them/euthanize them. If everyone suddenly turned vegetarian for some reason I guess you can burn the bodies. Some will be kept in zoos of course. In some cases they might be releasable, but probably in most like you say they wouldn't be.

As for all the places and people involved in the animal product industry, it'd sure suck for those places and people but economic shifts happen all the time. Eventually the areas would be repurposed or abandoned and the people would find other employment.
As much as it's nice to imagine some better world where the animals are re-homed as pets (or well-treated work animals, or non-artificially-inseminated dairy cows), how many people would really have the energy or inclination to care for some fucked-up, traumatised unhealthy critter that's spent its whole life in a factory farm?

Short of some really far-fetched pipe dream scenario where humanity collectively realises its crimes against other species and expends the resources necessary to terraform some nearby planet as a home for its freed animal-slaves by way of atoning for its sins, putting them out of their misery is really the best/only realistic option I can see. 'Course, we're a long way off from having to make such decisions yet, anyway.

There's still a lot of work to be done - the meat industry sure as hell doesn't seem to be losing any steam, even in the year 2017. Kinda horrifying how commonplace it still is to see huge signs in shops depicting cuts of meat, or to have the front page on whatever catalogues one is sent covered in advertisements for and graphic illustrations of discounted dead stuff.
A friend recently told me how the global percentage of vegetarians was some tiny number, and expressed his disbelief at that statistic - but it seemed believable to me. Look at how ingrained the act of eating meat still is in our culture, even as more and more people realise the wrongness of it. Here in Australia, "throwing snags on the barbie" still usually refers to sausages consisting of actual meat, and steak is worshipped like some sort of minor deity or the equivalent of a patron saint.

It seems like a large percentage of the growing number of vegans/vegetarians who would feel strongly enough about the meat-eating issue to try and combat it are foolishly caught up campaigning about other, less important political issues like human migration and racial politics and whatever other so-called "problems" the hivemind tells them it is fashionable to care about. Humans are humans are humans, whatever their colour or creed. They all contain the potential for limitless evil and, until they prove themselves to be "good" or at least the more-attainable "decent" they are deserving of everything that's coming to them.

[/rant]

...Hoo, sorry. I seem to have gotten somewhat worked up there.
It is a subject I think about a lot and which aggravates me greatly - it seems that most of my fellow herbivorous humans are "left-wing" in other aspects of politics as well, and are too caught up in the whole, silly social justice craze to remember to do anything to help animals other than humans. Not going to redact what I wrote, because it is what I believe, but at the same time I am not intending it as a verbal/textual attack on anyone here. I just get touchy whenever anyone discusses 'veganism/vegeterianism/animal rights' or related topics in disparaging terms and feel honour-bound to defend them.

Fakeedit: to introduce some levity into this post I shall weigh in on the current discussion: ham is bland (unless it's that "honey ham" stuff), bacon is extremely overrated (unless you fry it 'til it's crispy, then it's only severely overrated) and spam is freakin' horrifying. This much I remember from my omnivorous childhood. :P 
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • what about full of shit? is that a meme too?
    • View Profile
« Reply #125800 on: August 23, 2017, 10:04:23 pm »

Meh, like I'd trust a vegetarian's opinion on meat. :P
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

Avarice

• Bay Watcher
  • ××××××××
    • View Profile
« Reply #125801 on: August 23, 2017, 10:33:59 pm »

Woah tl;dr
I stand by the fact I have canine teeth and am able to digest meat as a clear indication that is what I am designed to do.
In survival there are no morals. When I go out in the bush for weeks there is no way I can survive without killing something be it grubs or eels because the vegetation here doesn't provide enough energy to live off straight and even worse natural carbohydrate sources.
Massive agricultural investment allows that lifestyle for the good and bad.
Sure Vegetables are delicious but unless your country has plants that have nearly everything in it you can't survive let alone develop.
Meat is a great source and we shouldn't care about killing animals until our tech level is high enough for everyone to have personal sustenance gardens so of course the meat industry is still booming, the opinions of vegetarians is below many people's radar when meat is easier to prepare and provides far more energy.

Put it this way. Its easier to kill an animal and live off it over tending crops, fighting insects, waiting for harvest etc.
Its unrealistic unless someone enlightens me
××××××××××××××××××

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #125802 on: August 23, 2017, 10:52:04 pm »

...(channels the essence of "That Guy")...

Hunter gatherer societies could rarely become larger than 100 members, due to the extreme energy costs associated with hunting and gathering. The invention of agriculture enabled large numbers of people to be able to live together, because the energy costs for food collection dropped precipitously, and is what fundamentally enabled specialization within the society. (Ug makes the best bows, Teela makes the best clothes, et al.)

Now, humans were initially hunter gatherer organisms. Our bodies are geared for that existence, and so we are geared to eat meat, in addition to vegetative matter.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • what about full of shit? is that a meme too?
    • View Profile
« Reply #125803 on: August 23, 2017, 11:08:57 pm »

Of course, just because doing something is our "purpose" doesn't mean it's what we should be doing. Even if our god created us for the purpose of destruction, that doesn't make the act of destruction right. The amount of meat that americans now eat has nothing to do with "survival". It's perfectly healthy to eat much less meat than we do, and that's what most people in the world do.
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125804 on: August 23, 2017, 11:17:17 pm »

Put it this way. Its easier to kill an animal and live off it over tending crops, fighting insects, waiting for harvest etc.
Its unrealistic unless someone enlightens me

Those scale very differently, though. Let's say for argument that you can choose between killing wild hogs or raising corn. Sure, killing one hog gets you fed a lot quicker than raising one hog's worth of corn, but every acre of corn you can grow is worth 13,648.7 pounds of pork -- and growing an acre of corn doesn't take twice as long as growing half an acre of corn, just twice (ish) the active time while the plants do their thing. Hunting down seven tons of hog is way more dangerous, too.

So yes, you have canine teeth and the ability to digest meat. You also have amylases that evolved within a handful of millennia to break down starches from grains and a potentially carcinogenic immune reaction to the Neu5Gc in meat, to say nothing of your gut flora's capacity to turn L-carnitine into the precursors of arterial plaque. Meat is only "a great source" in the short term, in more senses than one.

If you want to believe you're designed to do something, go ahead; that's on you. I will, however, point out that you're the beneficiary of thousands of years of genetic hotfixes to make you better at eating plants, and especially cooked plants, as are the people whose hunger you are claiming makes vegetarianism unrealistic -- and who would rapidly exhaust the sources of wild meat you're claiming they need. Our "tech level", if you want to reduce it to that, is already sufficient to allow us to genetically engineer crops to handle environments previously incompatible with agriculture; furthermore, we have previously done exactly that and it's saved a billion of lives with nary a rasher of bacon -- in large part because it's more efficient to grow crops and eat them than to grow them, feed them to something else, and then eat that. The chief obstacle to actually fixing the problem is just the combination of fear and ignorance that has always held us back, not some fundamental problem with vegetables.

I really don't care if you support killing animals for food or not, but neither world hunger nor your belief that you're "designed" for anything can really be said to justify dismissing vegetarianism as unrealistic.
Pages: 1 ... 8385 8386 [8387] 8388 8389 ... 10983