Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8403 8404 [8405] 8406 8407 ... 10973

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 12998191 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #126060 on: August 28, 2017, 04:49:53 am »

Aw fuck, I didn't realize she's canonically 17.  That's even worse than I thought.

You know, I never read it because for what I heard it was Interview with a vampire for teens. And for me ITWAV was bad enough. It even had shining vampires for chrissake.

Regarding the age... leaving the creep factor aside, does anybody else find it unlikely? I mean, the guy is supposed to be centuries old. That sort of experience... has to show. I cant help but think that if to someone on his thirties a 18 y/o seems a tad shallow, to someone centuries old it would get boring really really fast.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #126061 on: August 28, 2017, 06:01:25 am »

I mean this is a guy who has reattended the same high school year over and over again for over a hundred years just because 17 was the age he was turned at. I don't think he is the kind of person who finds old experiences all that dull.
Love, scriver~

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #126062 on: August 28, 2017, 06:06:06 am »

Not the same high school, but supposedly a similar curriculum.

Also, I'm 21 and other 21 year olds often seem shallow and...lacking character?...to me. Not sure how to describe. Even worse for a 17 year old.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #126063 on: August 28, 2017, 06:34:12 am »

Not the same high school, but supposedly a similar curriculum.

Also, I'm 21 and other 21 year olds often seem shallow and...lacking character?...to me. Not sure how to describe. Even worse for a 17 year old.
This is what I mean.  Now imagine that instead of 21 you were 210. You'd have an amount of life experience that the 17 y/o couldnt even begin to fathom. They would seem ridiculously bidimensional. You'd likely get fed up early.

Now, in other vampire films (eg: Coppola's Dracula) they address this by making the love interest the reincarnation or whatever of the vampire's significant other.

This has its own problems. In particular, I'm thinking that if you are a 500 y/o nobleman turned vampire and meet someone who looks like your late wife, odds are that rather than dealing with her reincarnation, you're trying to pork your greatgreatgreat grandchild. Just something to consider
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #126064 on: August 28, 2017, 06:40:54 am »

vampires wouldn't care?

but, something that far removed has less than 10% of your genes anyway, sooooo
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #126065 on: August 28, 2017, 07:22:54 am »

Even better, vampires are undead. If the vampire overlord turns her into a vampire, they can not have children anyway.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #126066 on: August 28, 2017, 07:31:46 am »

That depends entirely on the mechanics of undead in the setting in question. Sometimes vamps are (cross)fertile despite being undead.

More than just them, really, and at times even when they're not horrific abuse of magic and/or science occasionally finds a way. I wouldn't be claiming she couldn't get knocked up post death without justification more solid than "is undead". Settings with vampires in them have probably impregnated chairs before, never mind things that actually have/had a functioning biological system.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #126067 on: August 28, 2017, 07:42:26 am »

I can't speak to vampires, but I think it's probably safe to say that rules as written you could probably in some edition of DnD get away with an Undead Half-Dragon <Inanimate Object>, a grace that one could possibly extend.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #126068 on: August 28, 2017, 07:48:38 am »

Clearly, vampirism is not a specific form of undeadness but a persistent magic effect which blocks all other physical concerns by maximizing consumption of blood and damage caused by sunlight.

This is why things like rings of vampirism can exist. As a result, all you really need is an archmage to instill a vampiric effect on a chair. And awakening unless you want it to just sit there, I guess.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #126069 on: August 28, 2017, 07:51:37 am »

Way I figure it, arx, at some point people in the setting figure out they need to just stop telling wizards what can or cannot happen.

"Vampires can't get pregnant, Elminster!"

"Oh yeah? Hold this, I'm drunk enough to prove you wrong."
Ask not!
Ask!

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #126070 on: August 28, 2017, 07:53:49 am »

Unfortunately, that only slows the rate of progression. As long as there are at least two wizards, they will eventually collide and begin one-uping each other. At this point the destruction of the world is certain unless action is taken before they reach the point of making themselves immortal, which won't be long.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #126071 on: August 28, 2017, 07:56:48 am »

"Owls can't be mixed with bears and also do all my chores and make me rich and famous and maybe also solve world hunger if you still have the time afterwards, Elminster!"
Love, scriver~

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #126072 on: August 28, 2017, 08:01:31 am »

Eh, I think they generally spin off into artificial (sub)dimensions before the world itself gets destroyed, MSH. Either intentionally or because some god and/or other meddling wizard tricks them into it some way or another. I can only assume there's a divine of Subtle Wizard Herding quietly existing somewhere in the background of whatever pantheons are involved making sure things don't blow up.

... alternatively, timeline splitting. Lots and lots of timeline splitting. The world gets destroyed a lot, but it happens in throwaway temporal strands and the causes mutually annihilate.

Also pretty sure trained owlbear maids are a thing, scriv. How well they manage on the latter bits of that, I'unno, but...
Ask not!
Ask!

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126073 on: August 28, 2017, 08:21:39 am »

I don't think I've charged the battery of my electric shaver in nearly three months or more. It's still going strong.

Likewise, I don't think I've changed the AA battery in my toothbrush in over a year, and that still works perfectly well.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #126074 on: August 28, 2017, 08:23:45 am »

Unfortunately, that only slows the rate of progression. As long as there are at least two wizards, they will eventually collide and begin one-uping each other. At this point the destruction of the world is certain unless action is taken before they reach the point of making themselves immortal, which won't be long.
Quote from: Terry Pratchett
Once upon a time the plural of 'wizard' was 'war'.
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway
Pages: 1 ... 8403 8404 [8405] 8406 8407 ... 10973