Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8478 8479 [8480] 8481 8482 ... 10983

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13183105 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #127185 on: October 01, 2017, 01:19:46 am »

I was more like:

"what--- why is she disassembling company assets? She does not look like IT---- WAIT, WTF---.... OPEN FLAMES!? HOLY HELL---  WHAAAAT!!??   How does this person still have a job??"

Considering that even just one of the things this lady did would get you fired in the US. She DOES get props from me for knowing how to hotwire an ATX power supply's power good rail  to turn it on though.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127186 on: October 01, 2017, 01:50:29 am »

I was more like:

"what--- why is she disassembling company assets? She does not look like IT---- WAIT, WTF---.... OPEN FLAMES!? HOLY HELL---  WHAAAAT!!??   How does this person still have a job??"

Considering that even just one of the things this lady did would get you fired in the US. She DOES get props from me for knowing how to hotwire an ATX power supply's power good rail  to turn it on though.

I was thinking that if we had the same video of a guy doing it, we'd assume he was an IT guy who had the right to play around with some defunct PC cases, so not a big deal. Like I said: possible unconscious bias because we assume a guy tinkering with PCs is authorized to do so.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #127187 on: October 01, 2017, 01:54:00 am »

No.  Typically, the IT person is not doing their own tech work in an office setting, due to the bureaucratic nonsense of accountability, ticket sign-off, and things of that nature.  That there is only one person in the cube, and that it is clearly their assigned cube, and that they are not working on another user's system, directly invokes that this is not an IT person.

But again, she DOES get props for being geeky enough to know how to hotwire the ATX power supply. :P

Generally speaking, the gender of the person does not trigger me, it is the behavioral archetype that triggers me. "bubbly airhead" is not limited to blonde secretaries with nail files. There are plenty of airheaded guys in offices, who cant figure out how to use the printer.  If you are a bubbly moron, you set off my competency alarm. If you set off my competency alarm, I am going to WTF if you even so much as look like you are picking up a screwdriver.  Male or female. If however, you are confident, and show basic competencies, I will give benefit of the doubt.  In the case of this lady, I did not question that she knew what she was doing, as far as disassembling her workstation -- She was doing it correctly. I was just wondering "why is she doing it?", as in "Is there something wrong with it? It seemed to be operating fine---" with the secondary thought of "This looks like her own workstation, why did she not file a ticket instead?... That clearly cannot be kosher in her company..." then "WTF!? why is she washing the door?!" which then became "OPEN FLAMES!? WTF!!!" etc.

« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 02:04:00 am by wierd »

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #127188 on: October 01, 2017, 02:12:52 am »

Well, they could fire her for messing with equipment.

Or they could shift her to tech support, because she clearly is skilled enough for it.

EDIT: And I mean a high ranking tech support.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 02:15:09 am by Mathel »
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127189 on: October 01, 2017, 07:12:04 am »

Has anyone seen the PSA's on youtube warning against dipping? They portray chewing snuff like a black tentacle monster wrestling you down and raping your mouth with its molesty tobacco tentacles. Literally not kidding, it's the most WTF thing I've seen in a while.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127190 on: October 01, 2017, 07:15:07 am »

That French Onion dip is pretty vile, but I didn't know it could literally rot your face off. I'll be more cautious what I put my chips in from now on.

lol, never heard of dipping before.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
  • Normal Person Doing Normal Things
    • View Profile
« Reply #127191 on: October 01, 2017, 07:51:02 am »

I'm more confused by the Little Lung in a Great Big World PSAs. And by confused, I mean horrified.

The worst part is, I can't skip them and they come up as ads. So I kinda have to either watch them or refresh the page, which I often do. So... what's wrong with them? EVERYTHING. They're creepy, they're violent, they don't even give me a strong emotional response against smoking, which is there job... Really, just look one up if you want to.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127192 on: October 01, 2017, 08:01:04 am »

The worst part is that the people who make those PSAs are all secretly in the pay of Big Lung.

~~~

http://www.news.com.au/sport/sports-life/nrl-grand-final-viewers-react-after-no-to-ssm-campaign-ad-airs-after-macklemore-sings-same-love/news-story/9b905a372972e10a0c186c9c00dafe30

Macklemore finally sing Same Love ... the marriage quality anthem.

So it's a "marriage quality" anthem, right? Helps people avoid shit marriages apparently.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 08:10:58 am by Reelya »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #127193 on: October 01, 2017, 08:33:54 am »

The worst part is that the people who make those PSAs are all secretly in the pay of Big Lung.

Reminds me of when EU outlawed snuff, traditionally used only in three EU countries  (Sweden, Finland, and Estonia - possibly also the other two Baltics), for "health" reasons, yet cigarette and other smoked tobacco is allowed despite being many times as unhealthy. Maybe, just maybe, Big Fag thought there was a market slice not being filled by their own poisonous cake up here?

(it's also funny because non-European snuff, fron countries like Pakistan as an example, is still legal in the EU. It's just the Nordo-Baltic snuff that was forbidden)

lol, never heard of dipping before.

Me neither. Is it dipping the tobacco in gasoline?
Love, scriver~

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127194 on: October 01, 2017, 08:50:41 am »

I've never touched the stuff myself, but it's just chewing tobacco, dubbed such because of the action of 'dipping' your finger into the can to get it out.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #127195 on: October 01, 2017, 09:56:06 am »

I'm pretty young, but I've never even understood why people smoke at all.

I mean, maybe it looks cool, but when I think for a few seconds about what smokers do (deliberately inhale smoke) I immediately wonder why people do that.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #127196 on: October 01, 2017, 10:00:42 am »

Nicotine is a stimulant, and is very quick to work. Consequently, it's highly addictive. You may only smoke once or twice out of curiousity, but then it has its hooks in you.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127197 on: October 01, 2017, 10:07:22 am »

There are also suggestions that nicotine is useful for dealing with symptoms of various mental conditions. People with schizophrenia smoke at rates far, far above the population average. The most likely scenario is that they are self-medicating.

http://apt.rcpsych.org/content/6/5/327
For example in one study they found that 88% of schizophrenics were smokers.

http://www.brainfacts.org/diseases-disorders/psychiatric-disorders/articles/2008/smoking-and-schizophrenia/

Thanks to research advances, scientists are learning how and why smoking and schizophrenia are so tightly linked. Nicotine — in cigarettes and other forms — appears to help normalize some of the cognitive and sensory deficits that people with this disorder experience. Scientists have looked inside the brain to uncover regions involved in deficits of schizophrenia and to learn how and where nicotine works to combat them. Now, enhanced knowledge is helping scientists develop drugs to treat this debilitating disorder.

So it's not all bad new for nicotine. The stuff is leading to new medications! Basically, schizophrenic smokers are trading off increased cancer risk against not having to deal with the symptoms of their disorder. Which considering it's a "quality of life" thing is perhaps a reasonable trade-off.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 10:12:26 am by Reelya »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #127198 on: October 01, 2017, 12:13:49 pm »

Nicotine is a stimulant, and is very quick to work. Consequently, it's highly addictive.

you're implying that it's the stimulant properties that make it addictive, which is massively simplified at worst. it's extremely physically addictive for reasons that are correlated with that but it's not due to that.

And in completely unrelated news: I realized yesterday that none of my online friends are boys.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 12:18:44 pm by Putnam »

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #127199 on: October 01, 2017, 12:19:20 pm »

Mixing tobacco/nicotine with other stimulants is delightful.
I never really saw the point of things like shisha until I tried that... now it's moderately enjoyable even without accompaniment.

Also the single biggest appeal of cigarettes, to me, would be the idea of having the ritual of it, simply having something to do with one's hands to stave off the onset of an anxiety attack whilst standing around in some public place or other.
Really, there isn't much like it. Staring at your phone doesn't really compete, that takes up a lot more attention and is also slowly killing your power of individual thought. Reading a book is nice, but a less portable option and also one that draws far more attention due to being unusual.

That said, I don't smoke much tobacco. I've certainly never dropped money on a pack of cigarettes - but who am I to rebuff the generosity of someone wishing to share their cancer stick collection?

Edit: oh dear I started a new page. How stressful.
...I think I need a smoke. :))
« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 12:21:08 pm by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.
Pages: 1 ... 8478 8479 [8480] 8481 8482 ... 10983