Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8553 8554 [8555] 8556 8557 ... 10984

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13194095 times)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #128310 on: November 01, 2017, 06:59:42 pm »

One hell of a trip they got you going on
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #128311 on: November 01, 2017, 07:05:34 pm »

I kinda' wish this was a trip, but it's probably part of the reason I subject myself to these things. Not too often stuff is translated or past the points this shit starts happening, but thematically there's not really much unusual going on. Pet demon cat turning into a dude (or chick, whatever. Pretty sure I've seen a hermaphrodite or two, things can turn weird when punch magic gets involved) at some point in the story is just how this stuff rolls.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #128312 on: November 01, 2017, 07:47:40 pm »

Love, scriver~

BlackHeartKabal

• Bay Watcher
  • You are doomed, doomed, I tell you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #128313 on: November 01, 2017, 10:00:36 pm »

Confirmed: big three anime makes you a terrorist.

Naruto, Bleach, and Dragon Ball games

(EDIT I think he was more of a gamer, the only actual anime series on the drive was Devil May Cry. And ... that's not actually something that's popular with the anime crowd as a whole, only people who are into the game).
implying people would actually touch the big three due to archive panic

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #128314 on: November 01, 2017, 10:06:56 pm »

If you’re not willing to watch 20,378,639,452 episodes of Dragon Ball then you’re not a true anime fan.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #128315 on: November 01, 2017, 10:29:34 pm »

My quintessential anime gatekeeping line is "you have to watch all of Bleach", which fucking nobody has done because Bleach is pointless and gigantic in a way that somehow stretches it beyond even longer things like One Piece.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128316 on: November 01, 2017, 11:51:38 pm »

I think true dedication would be someone who's up to date with Detective Conan actually. Not me however. And that's only the fifteenth longest anime series out there. One piece only clocks in at #17 by episode count.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 11:53:44 pm by Reelya »

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #128317 on: November 02, 2017, 01:33:00 am »

If you’re not willing to watch 20,378,639,452 episodes of Dragon Ball then you’re not a true anime fan.
Which is why the abridged series exists.  DBZ Abridged: weirdly accurate to the originaltm
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #128318 on: November 02, 2017, 01:39:01 am »

I think true dedication would be someone who's up to date with Detective Conan actually. Not me however. And that's only the fifteenth longest anime series out there. One piece only clocks in at #17 by episode count.

I feel like Sazae-san is kind of cheating somehow.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128319 on: November 02, 2017, 02:17:58 am »

Only a little. Sazae-san is 7500+ episodes and counting. They're shorter than regular ones, but it's still 2500 episodes x 25 minutes, which would still be far longer than anything else in either run-time or episode count. The next actual contender is 1400+ regular episodes in length.

To give a comparison, you could watch all of Detective Conan, all of One Piece and all of Naruto+Shippinden in that time and still have enough time to watch all 110 episodes of Legend of the Galactic Heroes before you'd be done with Sazae-San.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 02:37:55 am by Reelya »

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #128320 on: November 02, 2017, 03:31:33 am »

I was actually introduced to anime by a friend with a really short one that's name I don't recall. (Most notable thing I remember is a cat-rabbit thing that turned into a spaceship)  And I was thinking 'Oh ok so anime is just japenese cartoon series that are paced like movies and only go on for a dozen or so episodes before coming to a final conclusion, I actually kinda like that idea'.

Then the next show I decided to look up was Dragonball Z.  Completely expecting it to end a few episodes in.  Thus ended my anime phase about 1/4th the way in the freiza arc.  Only other anime I ever really got into was Cowboy Bebop.  I wish there were more short and sweet series like that, instead of the mega series like yall are describing.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 03:34:50 am by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128321 on: November 02, 2017, 04:03:31 am »

Yeah ... i mainly stick to the 12 episode ones. For example, in the time you spent watching One Piece which isn't even finished you could knock over about 64 entire shows which are 12-13 episodes. Then, if you get e.g. 5 episodes into one and decide you don't like it, you're only 2 hours away from finishing the thing anyway so it's not a huge slog.

But ... there are a lot of shorter shows, each season (3 months) there are about another 25 - 30 or so one-off animes. This season, which is just average, around 40 new animes are starting up, and 3/4 of those will only run for 1 season (< 13 episodes). Then, multiply that by four  to get how many new shows you get per year, then multiple that by 7 to get how many new animes have aired since around 2010. Hint: it's about 150-160 new shows a year, or something like 1000 new animes that have aired only since 2010. if you want some suggestions then pm me or ask in the anime thread.

I'll just name drop a few classics: Detroit Metal City, Black Lagoon, Death Note and Paranoia Agent.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 04:24:17 am by Reelya »

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #128322 on: November 02, 2017, 05:37:16 am »

Everyone I've shown Gurren Lagann to ended up liking it.  Its a little longer than you're looking for (I think... 21 episodes?) but its paced in such a way that it will feel short.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #128323 on: November 02, 2017, 05:39:47 am »

FLCL is short and awesome in a similar way to gurenn lagann.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128324 on: November 02, 2017, 05:47:17 am »

... Guess what? at lot of the same people worked on those. They all worked at Gainax, and related series that generation did all have a similar vibe.

- Dead Leaves
- Gunbuster II (it's like a 6 episode mini TTGL in some ways, which would be clear if you watch the whole thing)
- Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi (well, only episode 3 which was directed by the TTGL guy and has proto-TTGL mecha)
- Panty and Stocking

And later, those guys split off to formed Studio Trigger:

- Inferno Cop
- Ninja Slayer
- Uchuu Patrol Luluco
- Kill La Kill

Basically if you like their bent sense of humor you should check all those things out. (except maybe Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi).
Pages: 1 ... 8553 8554 [8555] 8556 8557 ... 10984