Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8554 8555 [8556] 8557 8558 ... 10983

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13187377 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #128325 on: November 02, 2017, 05:49:42 am »

I've actually met a few that were ho-hum on lagann, heh. Remember at least one was turned off by the anti-intellectual thematic aspects.
I was actually introduced to anime by a friend with a really short one that's name I don't recall. (Most notable thing I remember is a cat-rabbit thing that turned into a spaceship)  And I was thinking 'Oh ok so anime is just japenese cartoon series that are paced like movies and only go on for a dozen or so episodes before coming to a final conclusion, I actually kinda like that idea'.
Probably tenchi muyo, going by the cabbit. Fairly distinctive for the series, depending on how far back you started it was pretty easy to encounter for a bit. Chunk of it ended up on cartoon network and whatnot.

... also it's not really that short, exactly. Relatively to the nutjob ones, sure, but it sounds like you watched one of the OVA sets, of which there are multiple and sub-10 in individual set episode count, and not one of the TV series sets (of which there are also multiple) that clock in at more traditional anime standards (and western cartoon, for that matter) with lengths of 20s or so per lot.

That said, if you're looking for short and sweet stuff there's something like a metric fuckton of it. Sometimes supplementary to a larger work, sometimes stand alone. Both OVA/short run stuff and short sub-20 minute episode junk. Not entirely sure whether short or long makes up more of the total body of work but there's very very much a bunch of the former.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #128326 on: November 02, 2017, 08:10:01 am »

Started feeling really down earlier, then just now it occurred to me that it might just be that I am tired and my brain is somehow mistaking that for sadness. Silly brain.

But still, I am having a hard time telling if this feeling is exhaustion or despair.

Also I tried giving someone I care about helpful advice (after wracking my brain to try and come up with at least something to say) and finished with "comma, probably". I'm pretty sure there was an "I guess" in there somewhere too, if memory serves. What kind of piss-weak advice is that? I'm a moron, probably.

Communicating by text is awful sometimes. Most of the time. If this conversation took place in person I could offer initial sympathies through the medium of body language, some monosyllabic platitudes and/or a hug, and then something more meaningful to say would just come to me as I went along.
Instead, I wind up worrying for twenty minutes over a stupid, brief, unhelpful and entirely inadequate excuse for a message that leads to me shortly applying all of those adjectives to myself... except perhaps "brief", because I am nothing if not overly wordy.

In hindsight, this post could easily fit in the Mildly Sad thread, but these feelings are also certainly a WTF as I am supposed to be happy right now, damnit.

Edit: to add insult to injury, I now have an 'edited' tag on here because I wanted to add just two, short sentences immediately after posting, but the internet here decided to be shitty. Nice.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 08:17:32 am by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #128327 on: November 02, 2017, 09:09:59 am »

Two things: one, I avoided aspirin and had a chamomile tea instead- what have I become?

Two: I am increasingly annoyed by movies with big holographic globes and dots all over to show populations, and somehow have a bundle of dots in places like central Australia and the Sahara.
Figure your shit out, Hollywood.

Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #128328 on: November 02, 2017, 10:00:25 am »

Two things: one, I avoided aspirin and had a chamomile tea instead- what have I become?

Two: I am increasingly annoyed by movies with big holographic globes and dots all over to show populations, and somehow have a bundle of dots in places like central Australia and the Sahara.
Figure your shit out, Hollywood.
Beep boop I am a bot. The relevant XKCD is https://xkcd.com/1451/
+/-   comment  gib gold
« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 10:04:57 am by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • what about full of shit? is that a meme too?
    • View Profile
« Reply #128329 on: November 02, 2017, 10:03:03 am »

It's the secret underground reptile people cities.
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

Khan Boyzitbig

• Bay Watcher
  • [THOUGHTS:CHAOTIC] [ACTUALLY A SWAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #128330 on: November 02, 2017, 10:17:52 am »

Or Skaven. Any ruined city you find is probably Skaven. Random signs of life? Skaven. No signs of life? Skaven. Smells like fish? Deep Ones.
////;::;\\\\ Scuttle Scuttle...

Milk for the Khorneflakes!

Luminous Bolt of Bacon
"Excuse me sir, You are on Fire."

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #128331 on: November 02, 2017, 11:09:15 am »

Burrowing rodents living beneath the city? Fanciful tilean sedition.
Also my disbelief gives me a public order bonus.

Beep boop I am a bot. The relevant XKCD is https://xkcd.com/1451/
+/-   comment  gib gold
good bot
« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 11:12:15 am by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128332 on: November 02, 2017, 12:06:38 pm »

Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128333 on: November 02, 2017, 04:04:56 pm »

I think I walked by a head of state without noticing. The president of Palau was apparently visiting.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • what about full of shit? is that a meme too?
    • View Profile
« Reply #128334 on: November 02, 2017, 06:04:53 pm »

I actually enjoy text communication much more than voice-only. It feels really, really weird to have a conversation with somebody when you're not in the same space and can't see their face. Face-to-face works well because we've been evolved for a ridiculous amount of time to be good at it, and text works because it's so very abstracted that it's really just hard to get stressed about it. But fuck phone calls.
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128335 on: November 02, 2017, 09:03:08 pm »

Yeah, I also prefer communicating either by text or face-to-face (or by video chat when that's not possible). Texting allows me room for expression by varying not just words but also punctuation, spellings (for example, wat vs. what), and by adding emoticons as necessary. Face-to-face allows me to speak (which isn't just words but also things like inflections) and also allows for body language to communicate things like smiles and being interested in what the other person has to say. Speaking by phone chops out all the important nonverbal things and always feels funny. And depending on the phone it might cost a lot more than other choices.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #128336 on: November 02, 2017, 10:00:06 pm »

Thing that made me go WTF?

The "Gay marraige" poll in Australia cost a reported $170 million. About 75-80% of people apparently responded,  making it two-way postage for some, only one-way postage for about a quarter of the voting populace.

Now, this vote included an envelope, a piece of paper with a quick blurb on what it was about and yes/no checkboxes, and a return envelope, all paid for by the government. Yes, there's staff and electronic counting machines to be considered in the cost, but 95% of the needed information for mailing purposes is in our recent census data.

So, high-balling the figures, say that there's 17 million eligible voters in Australia (there's probably less). How the fuck does sending a letter, and then sending it back, cost $10 per person?

I mean, I quite agree that they can get married. But they could have just said "If you're gay and want to get married, we'll give you a few $100. Go and have a civil ceremony. It's cheaper than asking everyone if you should be able to. "

Would have been a lot cheaper, easier and better really. $170 million to send out less than 17 million bits of mail? Fuck, I hope the next plebiscite is "Would you like a Steam, Google or pre-paid Visa gift card, in the following plebiscite?" Sheesh.......
« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 04:19:17 pm by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128337 on: November 02, 2017, 10:10:04 pm »

At least part of that cost goes into paying people to run the poll. A larger part probably went into paying a few statisticians to interpret the results.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #128338 on: November 02, 2017, 10:24:03 pm »

Yes. But say postage is $1 each way, and printing costs were about $1 due to bulk order prices, that's $51 million accounted for.

That leaves between $70-120 million (depending on accuracy of costs) for polsters unaccounted for. Someone got rich, quick, off this. Or, richer, as is the way of our current government.

I hope they're having a gay old time......

(just for some stats:
Australian Electoral Roll Comission
Australians are enrolled to vote

Australians are eligible to be enrolled

Cost of plebiscite: $120-170 million

So yep, about $7.50-$10 per head.

You could get this, for that. Well, one to two of them. Hell, I've started entire relationships like this. No one agreed with them, either.

http://www.frugalfeeds.com.au/mcdonalds-deals-vouchers-and-coupons/
https://www.frugalfeeds.com.au/2017/news-new-hungry-jacks-vouchers-valid-until-28-november-2017/
http://www.frugalfeeds.com.au/kfc-deals-vouchers-and-coupons/
https://www.liquorland.com.au/White Wine?sort=4&facets=pricevariant_QLD_variantpricerange%3dBelow+%2410
https://www.liquorland.com.au/White Wine/tangled-vine-crisp-dry-white-cask-4lt_5340301

These aren't even the cheap guys. This is quality, and exactly what we already know the Australian demographic wants. As well as gay marriage, but food and wine is more predominantly acceptable, no matter your views on other things.

Maybe we should all have an upsized Maccas meal once a year, or a free "cask of goon" day, instead? Coz it'd do the country a service. Even the gay community can get a bit of meat in 'em, regardless of sexuality, if we're all horned up on cheap wine and Maccas.  Hell, I've made some awesome tucker for a decent sized crowd for less.....
The Biggest Barbeque day? :)
Turn $170 million into so much fish and bread that even Jesus would be proud....  )
« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 11:35:20 pm by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128339 on: November 03, 2017, 12:13:58 am »

Yes. But say postage is $1 each way, and printing costs were about $1 due to bulk order prices, that's $51 million accounted for.

That leaves between $70-120 million (depending on accuracy of costs) for polsters unaccounted for. Someone got rich, quick, off this. Or, richer, as is the way of our current government.

Probably not. You have to consider handling time for each letter, not just the postage costs. Planning, printing, checking electoral roles and addresses, distribution, collection, opening the letters, checking that the serial number is valid, data entry etc etc. And that's just the stuff that involves the individual letters / individual enrolments. You also have to account for all the overheads and higher-level data collection and analysis in the process.

For example, consider how many seconds of time each letter takes up out of some public servants time. How long would it take to open each letter, being careful there's no razor blades or dog poop in there, check that it has a valid serial number, record what the result was in case the serial number is valid etc etc. Then, each letter needs to be handled carefully, since with the right database access you could in fact tell who voted for what (each plebiscite has a serial number for security), so you have to factor in proper storage/disposal of each letter into the handling time.

Then,  multiply that by 16 million, and work out how many hours that is at the rough rate of $50 an hour that the average civil servant earns. Then you have to account for the fact that those employees have to be recruited, costing more money, and they need managers and computer systems to be set up to run all this. You don't just process a "surprise" 16 million letters in an existing office. You need to set up an entire process with it's own offices and IT systems.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 12:22:07 am by Reelya »
Pages: 1 ... 8554 8555 [8556] 8557 8558 ... 10983