Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8600 8601 [8602] 8603 8604 ... 10983

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13173993 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #129015 on: November 26, 2017, 10:26:59 pm »

I feel like we kinda did that already, by running the dishwasher (uh, and clothes washer).  I've toweled up a lot of warm soapy water that hit the blockage ):

I did flush some "removes damn everything" style draino, though, which is the same idea but more x-treme!  Going to flush some more and see if it clears up overnight, fingers crossed X:

And I tried to get the snake through the toilet, but just couldn't get it around the bend.  Instead of a thin flexy snake with a sheath, this one is like half an inch thick and scratched up the porcelain to no avail.  That's why I'm going to try removing the J-thingy from under the downstairs sink - I assume that the disposal for the sink has no such sudden turns, after that point.

I hope it's not a burst pipe somehow, but I guess I'll find out when these things don't work and I call a professional ):
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #129016 on: November 26, 2017, 10:30:59 pm »

I feel like we kinda did that already, by running the dishwasher (uh, and clothes washer).  I've toweled up a lot of warm soapy water that hit the blockage ):

I did flush some "removes damn everything" style draino, though, which is the same idea but more x-treme!  Going to flush some more and see if it clears up overnight, fingers crossed X:

And I tried to get the snake through the toilet, but just couldn't get it around the bend.  Instead of a thin flexy snake with a sheath, this one is like half an inch thick and scratched up the porcelain to no avail.  That's why I'm going to try removing the J-thingy from under the downstairs sink - I assume that the disposal for the sink has no such sudden turns, after that point.

I hope it's not a burst pipe somehow, but I guess I'll find out when these things don't work and I call a professional ):

To get the blockage removed, the hot water needs to sit on it, and it sounds like most of the hot water you sent down before got flushed back out (when I had a similar problem, it was backing up into the tub, so I just filled up the tub). That's why I suggested the toilet method, as that allows you to control the amount sent down easily. That said, if the drain cleaner you used is a high end one instead of the cheap stuff I thought you were using, you probably will need to snake it.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129017 on: November 26, 2017, 10:49:55 pm »

There was also all that soap from the dishwasher and clothes washer, if the hot water from those plus soap/detergent didn't do it, then trying more isn't likely to work.

Also, I don't think a burst pipe would cause a blockage, unless it's big enough for dirt to get in.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #129018 on: November 26, 2017, 11:51:45 pm »

Today, I realized just how useless Japanese Google Translate is. Its first response to practically anything is the English word written in katakana--translating "dragon", for example, told me that the Japanese word is "doragon"--and as a side effect, it appears to misread almost anything written in katakana as an English approximation. A great way to show this is how Japanese Wikipedia articles get nonsensical translation results, like the page for rat being titled "caterpillars" on the page and "rattus rats" on the tab; the title for caterpillar, meanwhile, becomes "cemetery" and "chemistry".

It's not even consistent in how it translates the katakana. King Lear becomes "Leah", "Liah", and "Leia" throughout the page for no apparent reason.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129019 on: November 26, 2017, 11:54:38 pm »

Google translate being nonsensical isn't surprising.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #129020 on: November 27, 2017, 02:53:46 am »

Use babylon online, or some other program that isn't terrible.
One wheel short of a wagon

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #129021 on: November 27, 2017, 03:19:17 am »

Thanks for the recommendation. I was trying to get individual words for a minor worldbuilding project. This usually works out alright, because most languages are more or less internally consistent in terms of writing systems (and most of them use the Latin alphabet, as well,) so it only screws up the grammar and gets the words themselves roughly correct. The three different character systems in Japanese seem to be out of its league, though. Once in a blue moon, it gives out a kanji or hiragana word; outside of that it's katakana all the way down.

On a different note, has anyone else heard of the hideously racist trolling someone or some group did to Somali on Google Translate? Typing in "ooga booga" nonsense in Somali turns up vaguely coherent phrases, presumably due to false positive user feedback. It's disgusting.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129022 on: November 27, 2017, 03:29:41 am »

Meanwhile that "egu" (Japanese えぐ) thing in Google translate is still "evolving" but not getting any better.

"えぐえぐえぐえぐ" (egu egu egu egu) = "Wednesday Eggpling" which is new.

babylon must be doing some similar method:

"えぐえぐえぐえぐ" = "Don't miss liken gouged hollowed"
« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 03:32:21 am by Reelya »

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #129023 on: November 27, 2017, 07:17:52 am »

On a different note, has anyone else heard of the hideously racist trolling someone or some group did to Somali on Google Translate? Typing in "ooga booga" nonsense in Somali turns up vaguely coherent phrases, presumably due to false positive user feedback. It's disgusting.

I just tried to type 'ooga booga' in google translate, Somali to English, out of curiosity. It doesn't give anything coherent in English translation, in fact, it's still 'ooga booga'. Looks like Google staff quickly stopped that shit.

Nevermind, I've typed it in English, and Google Translator has suggested Somali language.

Also, it seems that it was /pol/ who decided to raid Google Translator. Nothing surprising from them.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 07:31:59 am by CrocAndBearLover »
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129024 on: November 27, 2017, 10:16:41 am »

Looked up the consumer reviews for my health insurance provider. Over 600 bottom-score reviews with some pretty horrifying stories to go with them. Very surprised that they haven't been hit with a class-action. It's a shame they're the only one available through my job...
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129025 on: November 27, 2017, 11:06:11 am »

This is both a wtf and an EuroPol thing, apparently Der Spiegel (a German news mag) asked this British singer Morrissey whether he'd kill Trump given the chance. Leaving aside the fact that Morrissey got baited with the question and could have answered differently, why did the magazine ask that? Killing the leader of a country isn't something to casually make a joke question about. Were he American, Morrissey would be getting a visit from the Secret Service, wouldn't be surprised if he got blacklisted by them already. http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/361951-morrissey-i-would-kill-trump-for-the-safety-of-humanity  The Die Spiegel article itself is in German though.

The tl;dr is that the wtf is why did Der Spiegel even go there, though they're kind of a somewhat provocative magazine, but still.... seriously?
« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 11:09:20 am by smjjames »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #129026 on: November 27, 2017, 04:36:46 pm »

I could have sworn i heard a kitten mewing earlier, but none of our cats are young enough to mew quite like that at this point. I might be going insane
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #129027 on: November 27, 2017, 04:42:03 pm »

I could have sworn i heard a kitten mewing earlier, but none of our cats are young enough to mew quite like that at this point. I might be going insane

You post on Bay12, you already are
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #129028 on: November 27, 2017, 04:49:11 pm »

You post on Bay12, you already are
We were all escaped lunatics once.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #129029 on: November 27, 2017, 04:55:35 pm »

This is both a wtf and an EuroPol thing, apparently Der Spiegel (a German news mag) asked this British singer Morrissey whether he'd kill Trump given the chance. Leaving aside the fact that Morrissey got baited with the question and could have answered differently, why did the magazine ask that? Killing the leader of a country isn't something to casually make a joke question about. Were he American, Morrissey would be getting a visit from the Secret Service, wouldn't be surprised if he got blacklisted by them already. http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/361951-morrissey-i-would-kill-trump-for-the-safety-of-humanity  The Die Spiegel article itself is in German though.

The tl;dr is that the wtf is why did Der Spiegel even go there, though they're kind of a somewhat provocative magazine, but still.... seriously?
Find me the full version somewhere and I'll be happy to translate - that sounds like something taken way out of context.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.
Pages: 1 ... 8600 8601 [8602] 8603 8604 ... 10983