Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8603 8604 [8605] 8606 8607 ... 10983

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13173728 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #129060 on: November 28, 2017, 04:29:54 pm »

Looked at their site and it's a whole bunch of stuff with a humorous take on santas elves watching you. I guess they took the joke too far here. I suppose they could replace the camera with a elf head in the dome, but then it'd just end up creepy instead of funny.

Is that the same or something different as that elf-on-a-shelf thing?

It's a spinoff of the elf-on-a-shelf, except taking it further and more places.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129061 on: November 28, 2017, 04:34:34 pm »

It's supposed to be shocking and horrifying and repulsive, because it's trying to get you to either buy it as a joke or show it around your social networks in disgust until it reaches someone who will. This is clickbait made real. "You'll never believe what they turned Elf on a Shelf into!"

Being vociferously outraged and loudly proclaiming how much you'd never do such a thing to your kids to everyone who will listen is exactly what they want you to do, and they thank you for the free publicity.

EDIT: Now just wait for people to buy and publicly destroy them.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 04:37:45 pm by Trekkin »

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #129062 on: November 28, 2017, 04:54:47 pm »

Not to mention it'd get kids acting up intentionally.
One wheel short of a wagon

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #129063 on: November 28, 2017, 05:01:33 pm »

it reaches someone who will.
Not going to buy it, but yea it almost just did exactly what you described there with me.  What with it still being cheaper than a real security system (and arguably just as effective) but looks enough like one to be a deterrent.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #129064 on: November 28, 2017, 05:40:17 pm »

At this point, I no longer remember which of the security cameras round our place are real.

It's kinda off-putting :P
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129065 on: November 28, 2017, 05:42:09 pm »

I’m honestly surprised by the outrage going on here. When I was a kid, we were given these monthly catalogues at school and I remember fake cameras showing up there all the time. Hell, I even bought one because I was a dumbass who thought they were real. I was pretty disappointed when I found out it wasn’t, but otherwise I don’t see the harm.

Does it have to do with the fact that this device is specifically marketed as something meant to trick kids?
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129066 on: November 28, 2017, 05:44:20 pm »

More like "kids think there's a Big Brother out there, and this is psychologically bad."

Though my primary school had security cameras all over the place, and I'm (somewhat) sane. Guess it coming from a parent adds a layer of betrayal of trust.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #129067 on: November 28, 2017, 05:56:51 pm »

More like "kids think there's a Big Brother out there, and this is psychologically bad."
Doesn't the whole idea of Santa knowing naughty children from nice ones do that already? I always just assumed he was omniscient somehow. Don't think it ever stopped me from doing bad things, though - guess I was just a hardcase.

...Now I'm picturing the bloated, red-glowing form of Santa Claus hovering above a tower set in some desolate landscape, rotating to face this way and that ala the Eye of Sauron.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129068 on: November 28, 2017, 06:38:13 pm »

"We must take the candy cane to Santa's Grotto! Only where it was sugared may it be destroyed!"

"One does not simply walk into Santa's Grotto."
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129069 on: November 28, 2017, 06:40:23 pm »

Doesn't the whole idea of Santa knowing naughty children from nice ones do that already? I always just assumed he was omniscient somehow. Don't think it ever stopped me from doing bad things, though - guess I was just a hardcase.

...Now I'm picturing the bloated, red-glowing form of Santa Claus hovering above a tower set in some desolate landscape, rotating to face this way and that ala the Eye of Sauron.

I think part of the idea is it's worse when there's a constant physical reminder you're under constant observation by this slave-driving overlord silently judging all from his polar sweatshop/aircraft hangar, awaiting the day when he is free to roam the Earth at aphysical speeds, break into their homes, and dispense either toys or fuel according to his whim.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 06:44:18 pm by Trekkin »

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #129070 on: November 28, 2017, 08:02:46 pm »

"We must take the candy cane to Santa's Grotto! Only where it was sugared may it be destroyed!"

"One does not simply walk into Santa's Grotto."
Legolas is certainly less glamorous in this interpretation. :))

New wtf: I am in a very weird mood indeed. It's as though I am simultaneously inexplicably happy and irrationally sad. Idk wtf omg bbq. Think I shall just sit on this train and finish my book, then get some all-you-can-eat Indian food in the city and buy some fancy earplugs for the weekend.

I swear there was something in particular that was upsetting me just a moment ago, but I cannot for the life of me remember what it was.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #129071 on: November 29, 2017, 04:19:35 am »

i had a dream where an army of identitical mes were created, all  exactly me in every way down to the memories.

and we all highlighted my best and worst features by working together on large projects, from building homes to revolutions.

and though even working together speaks to my ability, what a messed up dream.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #129072 on: November 29, 2017, 10:53:15 am »

It was no dream, it was an interdimensional work meeting with your co-selves.
I hope yours didn't go like mine, when you find out 3 years afterwards that after the meeting was over, you were accidentally swapped out with a co-self from one of the more extreme parts of the mulitverse, and suddenly Trump is elected president in this familiar yet strange new place you ended up in. I still miss my old normal universe.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #129073 on: November 29, 2017, 10:55:40 am »

I'm a minor celebrity among all my other selves for living in such a radical universe. Raddest of the Egans, right here.
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129074 on: November 29, 2017, 12:36:45 pm »

I'm on the low end of self-celebrity.

Cannibal me, dictator me and genocidal-maniac me vie for the top position. The meetings are fun, though.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread
Pages: 1 ... 8603 8604 [8605] 8606 8607 ... 10983