Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8606 8607 [8608] 8609 8610 ... 10984

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13195057 times)

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #129105 on: December 01, 2017, 07:48:19 am »

Hmmm. I was going to post a somewhat heated response to that, but I suppose that could be rather inflammatory. Let's just say I disagree and leave it at that.
I'd like to pile on with the curiosity here. C'mon, don't leave us hanging like that :3
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129106 on: December 01, 2017, 08:35:13 am »

I actually have something of a sense of direction in life for the first time in years. It feels completely, utterly, absurd, but I'd like to go into teaching. I'll probably still be mulling it over for another year or so before I have to make a final call, but a lot of it feels right.

It also feels really strange, though, because this is... not where I expected my life to go. I always anticipated I'd go into engineering, up until I got towards the end of high school and decided it didn't actually interest me that much, but then I changed to a CS degree and it wasn't actually a big deal. I always kind of planned on doing a three year B.Sc. and then an Honours degree, but if I go into teaching it'll be a PGCE (teaching certificate) instead of Honours, and that's completely unfamiliar.

I've always wanted to make a difference for the good, cast my ripples in eternity as it were, and teaching is probably the best way for me to do that. Nonetheless, though, if you'd told me three years ago I'd go into teaching... I don't know what I'd say, but I don't know if I'd believe you.

My life feels like some kind of bizarre novel right now.

Before you make a decision like this, I need to ask a few questions:

1. Do you like kids? Have you seen how annoying they can be? Kids aren’t always bad but they have this weird habit of being cruel to teachers specifically. Are you sure you can handle that?

2. Are you aware of the state of the teaching job market at the moment? There are several unemployed teacher’s college graduates at the moment and you will likely become one of them unless you have some way of differentiating yourself. This applies to almost any job but teachers are particularly bad.

I know this seems negative, but I’ve met many great people who decided to become teachers and they still haven’t found a job yet. I don’t want that to happen to you.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #129107 on: December 01, 2017, 02:43:27 pm »

Weirdly, kids have grown on me. I used to hate them, now I... don't. The job market for teachers is pretty reasonable around here, fortunately (for me if I become a teacher, at least).

There are also a couple of other, less obvious, factors. Like that whether I decide to do Honours or a PGCE, I still come out with a B.Sc. Comp Sci, which is highly employable; and educational technology is on the uptick, especially locally.

I haven't made a final call, and don't have to for a while, so don't worry about me too much. :P I'm just musing on how much things can change in so short a timespan.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #129108 on: December 02, 2017, 12:32:17 am »

Some people will tell you the Confederates fought for states' rights.

They're wrong. States' Rights fought for the Confederates.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #129109 on: December 02, 2017, 03:54:13 am »

We're having flooding in my area. Some dipshit tried to drive his Maserati through floodwaters. More dollars than sense. How dumb do people have to be? Everyone in the state received a text message from the State Emergency Service, with the hilarious number of 0444 444 444 saying there would be major flooding, and that CARS CAN FLOAT IN 15CM OF WATER, DO NOT DRIVE THROUGH FLOODWATERS, DO NOT PLAY IN FLOOD WATERS.

People are fuckwits.

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #129110 on: December 02, 2017, 03:56:39 am »

I thought you were trying to start an arguement, then I laughed.
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #129111 on: December 02, 2017, 05:27:23 am »

We're having flooding in my area. Some dipshit tried to drive his Maserati through floodwaters. More dollars than sense. How dumb do people have to be? Everyone in the state received a text message from the State Emergency Service, with the hilarious number of 0444 444 444 saying there would be major flooding, and that CARS CAN FLOAT IN 15CM OF WATER, DO NOT DRIVE THROUGH FLOODWATERS, DO NOT PLAY IN FLOOD WATERS.

People are fuckwits.

Back immediately after the last hurricane I overheard some moron in the store talking about how he's going to go looking around in some of the flooded areas.  And said that his truck won't get stuck if he drives through the water fast enough that he'll drift to the other side of any deep spots.  Ignoring everything wrong with that logic, it astounds me that he didn't realise that the wake from cars driving through flood zones even at low speeds causes waves that greatly increases the amount of water damage homeowners have to recover from.   Some asshole driving as fast as he can manage makes huge waves.  The water damage does not end at the height the flood waters stopped, the water damage ends at the height all the assholes driving through waves stopped.

Wish whatever neighborhood he was checking out got his ass on camera and was able to sue him for additional damage if he actually did blast through full tilt.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2017, 05:30:47 am by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #129112 on: December 02, 2017, 05:44:28 am »

There's a gated community called South Park in a city here in my country. It became news because a woman was murdered there this week by the gardener to steal 100 american dollars or something, which equal around two or three years of work here.

I'm pretty, pretty sure the community was called because of the show and nothing else.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #129113 on: December 02, 2017, 06:10:47 am »

People are fuckwits.
Man, I sure hope my house doesn't flood while I'm out. Some of my books are at or around floor level... D:

I don't think it will flood, but then I've never been in a flood (or any other natural disaster for that matter, apart from one or two extremely brief earthquakes) so I can hardly judge.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #129114 on: December 02, 2017, 06:28:24 am »

Been in about 6 tornadoes.  Lots of fun. Seen some good flooding too.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #129115 on: December 02, 2017, 08:27:33 am »

So it turn out States Rights did die in the Amwrican Civil War.
Love, scriver~

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #129116 on: December 02, 2017, 08:39:46 am »

I have a question to Americans here.

Are Buffalo Wings supposed to be 50% charcoal?
I ask because one of the local (Swedish) food joins serve them almost.. charcoal-like.
They even taste like charcoal.

Don't get me wrong, they serve decent food, but they seem to make some of their stuff a bit..
Well.. What I posted about their Buffalo Wings sums it up well enough.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2017, 08:42:51 am by Ultimuh »

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #129117 on: December 02, 2017, 08:42:43 am »

grisha5
« Last Edit: February 04, 2018, 12:00:56 am by penguinofhonor »

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129118 on: December 02, 2017, 08:48:03 am »

We don't have big fat eating contests where gluttonous Americans eat'em hundreds at a time because they taste like charcoal. They're meant to taste like buffaloes, duh.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129119 on: December 02, 2017, 09:13:26 am »

I find a sick amusement whenever someone talks about earthquakes or other disaster type things, since over here in Wisconsin we don't get much more than the occasional tornado or maybe a small wildfire
Pages: 1 ... 8606 8607 [8608] 8609 8610 ... 10984