Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8662 8663 [8664] 8665 8666 ... 10984

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13190390 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #129945 on: January 15, 2018, 05:59:22 pm »

... eh? Why'd you have to restart? Been well over a decade since I looked at ccleaner, but unless something has gone hilariously wrong*, you can use task manager (or an equivalent) to run explorer again.**

Explorer going kaput doesn't tend to stop other programs from running, too, so for stuff like that you can usually chill until whatever it is finishes, then do what you need to get going again.

* I'm actually dealing with a hilariously wrong right now, ha. Making backups onto a flash drive via recovery disk command line is somewhat annoying :V

** Which is particularly good if you're on a really shitty rig and need that extra little bit of memory or CPU power or whatev'. Been a while since I've had strong need of it, but there was a good few years I tended to just kill explorer until I actually had use for it.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 06:00:57 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #129946 on: January 15, 2018, 06:08:17 pm »

Ah, I seem to have neglected to describe the entire problem...

I couldn't restart.

I'd just wind up restarting to a black screen.

I had to restart enough times to trigger the "open up the reset options" menu and then reset my laptop.

CCleaner said something about how some files in Windows.old may be needed by my computer, but...

I'm not sure.

All I know that there seems to be some sort of correlation with deleting the Windows.old file folder and messing up my laptop, and I'm not sure what it is. Ah well, I don't need free space that badly. Yet.

In other news, some things made by Microsoft are actually not terrible?

I'm using Edge now and it seems to be loading faster than Firefox. I've also heard that Mixer, a streaming service made by Microsoft, is pretty damn good at what it does, and even has a few advantages over Twitch.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #129947 on: January 15, 2018, 06:20:00 pm »

Oh hey. You got the black screen thing? Mouse cursor still there but basically sod all worked? If so, that's actually what I'm in the process of fixing.

... though fixing in this case is backing up the important stuff and then doing a clean reinstall. Computer's been an elderly's internet browsing machine, which means it wasn't doing all that well :V
Ask not!
Ask!

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #129948 on: January 15, 2018, 06:26:53 pm »

Just a question about backing up...

If I just wanted to back up the OS (I don't really have too many important files I don't already have on Dropbox or other services) of Windows 10 in case something happened, what would I need to do?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #129949 on: January 15, 2018, 07:23:13 pm »

Settings->security->backup, apparently. Then you'd presumably find the backup file(s) and put it on a flash or something. Quick google for backing up win 10 will get you more details. I've still basically not used anything past vista, ha.
Ask not!
Ask!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129950 on: January 15, 2018, 07:53:05 pm »

Spambots getting active....

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #129951 on: January 16, 2018, 03:37:47 am »

Californian police freed 13 severely neglected 'children' ranging from age 2 to age 29 from a house in Perris.
Some were chained to beds.
The malnourished children's parents, a 57 year old man and a 49 year old woman have been arrested and will be charged with severe neglect and torture.

https://www.volkskrant.nl/buitenland/politie-californie-bevrijdt-13-verwaarloosde-kinderen-uit-huis-ouders-ketenden-sommigen-vast-aan-bedden~a4557193/

Police got onto the case after one child, age 17, managed to escape and call the police with a found cellphone. Initially, the police thought the girl to be about 10 years old, but she turned out to be 17 and extremely malnourished.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #129952 on: January 16, 2018, 08:17:40 am »

Quote from: english sauce
"Deputies located what they believed to be 12 children inside the house, but were shocked to discover that seven of them were actually adults, ranging in age from 18 to 29.
The police statement said: "Further investigation revealed several children shackled to their beds with chains and padlocks in dark and foul-smelling surroundings, but the parents were unable to immediately provide a logical reason why their children were restrained in that manner.
wot the fuck

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #129953 on: January 16, 2018, 08:44:33 am »

Religion is a really odd thing.  My guess?

They felt they had to protect their children from evil sinfulness, and went way off the deep end.

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #129954 on: January 16, 2018, 09:35:23 am »

Read the article, still no idea what was their idea.

I know a few things about the Bible, what could make they think that stuff was okay?
In a time before time, I had a name.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #129955 on: January 16, 2018, 09:40:58 am »

How can anyone do this to their children? It's simply wrong, in so many levels. I'm capable of not eating if that means my kid has enough to eat. I'll do anything for his well being, I can't conceive any excuse to do something so evil.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #129956 on: January 16, 2018, 09:56:18 am »

been watching a few new tv shows, and I suspect i see what I could only refer to as 'modular' writting, with little blops of what I guess or dead ends that seem to be there to test a response to a potential action.

not to deepen a plot or throw confusion, but to test for positive response.

:(
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #129957 on: January 16, 2018, 01:55:09 pm »

Read the article, still no idea what was their idea.

I know a few things about the Bible, what could make they think that stuff was okay?
Old testament, parts of the new that can excuse physical harm if it leads to spiritual whatever, various supplementary works that go all over the bloody place, stuff considered personal revelation (also called bugnut insanity, often enough), the myriad problems that pop up with sufficiently insular groups, etc., etc., etc. The list is as long as that of people that have used and abused the texts in order to abuse others, which is to say very, very long.

Exactly what it was if it was strongly christian/biblically influenced is questionable, but religious works get twisted into flayed manskin pretzels pretty easily if someone involved wants to make with the fleshsnacks. That's probably more literal than anyone should be comfortable with in the rare case, too...
Ask not!
Ask!

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #129958 on: January 16, 2018, 04:31:49 pm »

I just discovered that I was running 2 dwarf fortress instances. Of the same fort (same .exe). Killed hem both with DFHack die command.
Hope I didn't corrupt my save.

WTF is that it is actually possible to run two instances of the same DF.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #129959 on: January 16, 2018, 04:33:15 pm »

Why?

A fort is a savefile.  And has all the relevant information loaded up for each instance when it loads, meaning that it doesn't need the savefile until it has to save the progress.  Which I presume will overwrite whatever indiscriminately, allowing one to overwrite the other's progress.

It is possible to have a 'rip in time' as it were, and run two variants of DF reality at once.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!
Pages: 1 ... 8662 8663 [8664] 8665 8666 ... 10984