Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8701 8702 [8703] 8704 8705 ... 10973

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 12997532 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #130530 on: February 02, 2018, 04:55:17 am »

No, we can fix that: butt-hands.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #130531 on: February 02, 2018, 05:05:17 am »

I disagree. Shooting web from his hands is dumb. Maybe shot it from his butt if would be okay.

Spider-butt, spider-butt
Does whatever a spider butt does

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "SPIDERMAN" today o_O
« Reply #130532 on: February 02, 2018, 05:18:45 am »

adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #130533 on: February 02, 2018, 07:48:11 am »

It’s been six posts man, not even half a page on default ppp.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #130534 on: February 02, 2018, 08:30:41 am »

Hec, hec, hec. It's cruel to talk about what that spider did to parker's lasting power. Half a page at default is unfortunately asking a lot of someone that... slings webs... like that poor guy.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130535 on: February 02, 2018, 08:34:31 am »

http://www.news.com.au/finance/work/leaders/north-korea-trump-administrations-sloppy-work-in-nuclear-posture-review/news-story/15d4114708e70085f87d96d5bbc2ddfe

Trump Whitehouse puts out a nuclear threat report which shows North Korea's flag covering all of South Korea. Kim Jong Un reported to be happy that the USA has seen the reunification light.

That's the funny part. The scary part is that the report is pushing Trump's idea of more "usable" nukes. e.g Trump is like a kid going to the supermarket.

"Can I fire a nuke, mommy?"
"no"
*throw tantrum*
"how about a little nuke mommy?"
"Well, maybe"
« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 08:38:03 am by Reelya »

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #130536 on: February 02, 2018, 11:34:52 am »

So, to drag this moaning from its grave:
I'm not saying that ancient works are inherently holy/free of profanity. One need only look at Sophocles' work to see the fault in that opinion. What I am saying is that even the most virulent writer of that time would be offended by the sloppiness Tingle's work screams of.

And yet, have you actually read any?

This appears to be an extreme case of sentimentality mixed with literature snobbery that frankly misses the point. The words of "Dr. Chuck Tingle" may not be crafted with elegance and brevity, and he doubtless did not intend to write lyrically. That would ruin the effect, as his own brand of wit clearly depends on cliche, surrealism and trope, rather than writing desirable for its own sake.

An ancient example of this would be the plays of Aristophanes, which involve ludicrous plots, unnaturalistic dialogue, stupid neologisms, and broken meter all of which must be to great effect, given the survival of his work over more than a thousand years.
And yet, have you actually read any? If not, your defence is as fallacious as my attack.
Perhaps my views are elitist, I'm not quite sure. I simply believe that there is such a thing as good literature, and such a thing as bad literature. You can call an unguided scribble modern art and hang it on the wall, but to me it is just an unguided scribble. You can say Tingle's work displays "cliche, surrealism and trope." I would say it's easy to attach terms like that to an unguided scribble. To, in short, bad literature.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130537 on: February 02, 2018, 11:45:09 am »

I don't think you can mirror that back like that.

e.g. if I review a book I haven't read then it's not a legitimate review.

If someone else asks "have you actually read the book in question?" it's not a logical argument to say "no, but neither have you, so my review stands!"

NJW2000's point is that you can't make a categorical statement about a book you haven't read. Whether or not NJW2000 themself read the book isn't a relevant point to bring up, since NJW2000 isn't the one making claims about the book itself.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 11:49:18 am by Reelya »

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130538 on: February 02, 2018, 11:50:25 am »

What the hell is going on with Amazon?

I've had nothing but excellent service from them before. Free shipping orders usually ship the next day and arrive 1-2  days after that. Customer service has been great (they once refunded my sister's entire order because there was a live bug in the box when she opened it and she called to complain).

But I just called them to ask why my "pre-order" (of MHW) still hasn't been shipped 7 days after release, and they were completely unapologetic. Calmly explaining that because the order said it would arrive between the 1st and the 7th, they have until the 7th to send out the order. Uh, WTF??

I'd have cancelled my order already except then I'll be cheated out of my pre-order bonus... :/

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130539 on: February 02, 2018, 11:59:58 am »

*Shrug*

I didn't pretend to make a review. I consistently stated that I had not read the books, but from my impression of it... [etc.] Not a review as such, more a comment based off the author's attitude and titles. So my argument is based off the opinion that "Pounded In The Butt By My Book "Pounded In The Butt By My Book 'Pounded In The Butt By My Book "Pounded In The Butt By My Book 'Pounded In The Butt By My Book "Pounded In The Butt By My Own Butt"'"' does not seem like it constitutes good literature, whereas NJW's defence is based on other works such as Aristophanes. Because defending Tingle's works based on themselves seems to be a terrible idea.

Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130540 on: February 02, 2018, 12:05:21 pm »

However, checking Amazon reviews, the most negative review of "Pounded In The Butt By My Own Butt" (2/5) says that the reader was surprised by how good the writing was. And that's someone who said they wanted to give it a 1/5 because of the subject matter.

https://www.amazon.com/product-reviews/B00UYC1ASU/ref=cm_cr_dp_d_cmps_btm?ie=UTF8&reviewerType=all_reviews

Here are some quotes:

The biggest question I had when I started this was: what does being pounded in the butt by my own butt even means and it turned out to be a funny and clever H.G Wells-esque allegory on narcissism.

I will give this a solid two, no matter how much it kills me to do so.
The writing was surprisingly good. The verbiage was quite smart.

And this is the blurb:

Kirk is a scientific researcher on the leading edge of cloning technology, but his team has reached a standstill. In an effort to stabilize rapid clone growth, researchers have been taking DNA from various parts of their bodies and combining it with small amounts of animal DNA.

But when the scientists combine samples from Kirk’s butt, brain, and a hawk, the resulting effect is a handsome, living ass who immediately sweeps Kirk off of his feet over a candlelit dinner for two.

At least the blurb is hilarious.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 12:14:10 pm by Reelya »

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130541 on: February 02, 2018, 12:25:30 pm »

....which compelled me to click on the "Read extract" button. I promised myself I wouldn't read any of them, curse you.

Anyway, I retract my assumptions on the quality of writing. It's actually not that bad - I expected it to read like that hilarious Laura/Legolas fanfic. I do maintain that it's still not good literature, but it's not as bad as my mind painted.

To highlight this, I'll put in the rest of one of the reviews you posted:
The biggest question I had when I started this was: what does being pounded in the butt by my own butt even means and it turned out to be a funny and clever H.G Wells-esque allegory on narcissism and I'm not ashamed to say I enjoyed it until jizz started flying all over the place like it was Spiderman shooting webs. Jizz might be your thing, but any other jizz than my own clearly isn't mine.
So, it seems to be a good form of the type of literature which it is. Personally, I do not think that form is "Good" literature, though. Still, I was wrong - and I will apologise and seek therapy at the same time.

Much like this fellow
I was given a digital copy of this book as a gift by my friend. I thought she was just sending me some kind of gag gift book, butt little did I know that this book was going to change my life and entire worldview. No longer shall I condemn the gays and their want to pound butts and be pounded in the butt. Having read this epic love story between a man and his living, sentient, and thoughtful flying butt I now understand. I came to the realization that I didn't really hate the gays and their butt pounding... I have just been scared all along of the deep, repressed desire I held to pound my own butt and to be pounded by my own butt... I need therapy and anger management no more. I have Chuck Tingle now.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130542 on: February 02, 2018, 12:29:53 pm »

well here's Goodreads, sample of the actual text of his space raptor one:

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/24453778-space-raptor-butt-invasion

The entire wall is translucent, showing off a truly breathtaking view of a hilly grey landscape beyond where two separate moons hang brilliantly in the dark sky. If I hadn't seen this view every morning for far longer than I'd care to remember, I might even be moved to tears by the sight, a real manifestation of mankind's commitment to science and space travel.

Instead, I find myself bored, reminded that as Pike is taking off in his shuttle pod towards earth, I'm going to be trekking back across the massive grey dunes to gather data from the terraforming station.

The reviewer was upset that there wasn't more sex, and that almost the entire book was like this (then he tacks the sex scene on the end, basically). So in other words, it seems like he's actually serious about the writing / sci-fi part, but he's done the whole insane gimmick thing to get a foot in the door. Which is actually really clever given the odds of getting stuff published and talked about.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 12:35:03 pm by Reelya »

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #130543 on: February 02, 2018, 01:59:51 pm »

Y'all should read his interview. It's really quite a fun read.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #130544 on: February 02, 2018, 02:11:24 pm »

I like how he brings up ‘Ted Cobbler’ like we’re all supposed to know who he is
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*
Pages: 1 ... 8701 8702 [8703] 8704 8705 ... 10973