Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8735 8736 [8737] 8738 8739 ... 10983

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13171243 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #131040 on: February 20, 2018, 10:33:11 pm »

If the shop is not very popular, or designs cakes to the customer's request, it would make sense for then to require the customer to place an order beforehand instead of keeping several cakes in stock at all times. So perhaps they made a birthday cake, but the customer didn't show up to claim it, so they just threw it away.

Nah, it's normal. The number of people coming into your store on any day asking for birthday cakes will have some mean and standard deviation, it won't be the same every day. You'll get the occasional outlier where either many people want a birthday cake, or no-one does.

It's a dumpster in an apartment complex (well, a small one, but still an apartment complex), not a dumpster in the back of the store.....

Don't know how people assumed it was a dumpster in the back of a store :P
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 10:35:24 pm by smjjames »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131041 on: February 21, 2018, 12:53:50 am »

It's a dumpster in an apartment complex (well, a small one, but still an apartment complex), not a dumpster in the back of the store.....

I can't say I've ever heard of a dumpster for a residential apartment building before. Only at the back of restaurants and the like. Maybe the fat Americans produce so much rubbish they need industrial grade bins instead of normal ones?
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 12:57:35 am by Reelya »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #131042 on: February 21, 2018, 01:14:02 am »

Large apartment complexes for hundreds of residents do tend to have a dumpster, yes.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Khan Boyzitbig

• Bay Watcher
  • [THOUGHTS:CHAOTIC] [ACTUALLY A SWAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #131043 on: February 21, 2018, 07:09:35 am »

I wouldn't call the complex I live in large yet it has at least 18 dumpsters. (to support 9 blocks with about 10-16 flats each)
////;::;\\\\ Scuttle Scuttle...

Milk for the Khorneflakes!

Luminous Bolt of Bacon
"Excuse me sir, You are on Fire."

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #131044 on: February 21, 2018, 07:34:02 am »

What else are they meant to do with the waste, Reelya? :P
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131045 on: February 21, 2018, 07:40:50 am »

So in Australia apartments garbage collection is done individually by dozens or hundreds of little containers instead of a single large container that garbage men can pick up and empty neigh instantly and then move on? That sounds like it has less to do with the waste of Americans (legendary though it may be) and more to do with the intelligence of whoever made the Australian system.

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #131046 on: February 21, 2018, 07:46:24 am »

The unintelligence, you mean. That must take forever to take it all away.
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #131047 on: February 21, 2018, 09:15:58 am »

The two apartment complexes I've lived in had shared dumpsters, while all the homes had individual bins for each house.  Including attached townhouses, despite kinda looking like apartments.  So I guess it's kinda a legal/bureaucracy thing:  The cities provides bin service to individual home-owners (who pay property tax), while apartment complexes are expected to contract bulk waste management for renters.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #131048 on: February 21, 2018, 10:15:35 am »

The two apartment complexes I've lived in had shared dumpsters, while all the homes had individual bins for each house.  Including attached townhouses, despite kinda looking like apartments.  So I guess it's kinda a legal/bureaucracy thing:  The cities provides bin service to individual home-owners (who pay property tax), while apartment complexes are expected to contract bulk waste management for renters.
Fortunately that's not how it is here. You just put trash bags outside and the government sends a truck by at night to pick that up.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Khan Boyzitbig

• Bay Watcher
  • [THOUGHTS:CHAOTIC] [ACTUALLY A SWAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #131049 on: February 21, 2018, 10:53:17 am »

Fortunately that's not how it is here. You just put trash bags outside and the government sends a truck by at night to pick that up.
Does Brazil have foxes, wolves, bears or raccoons? Each and everyone one of those is a good reason to use actual bins rather than bags due to their ability to shred bags with ease. Stopping rats is easier said than done, bloody things can get through concrete.
////;::;\\\\ Scuttle Scuttle...

Milk for the Khorneflakes!

Luminous Bolt of Bacon
"Excuse me sir, You are on Fire."

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #131050 on: February 21, 2018, 11:13:51 am »

I can't say I've ever heard of a dumpster for a residential apartment building before. Only at the back of restaurants and the like. Maybe the fat Americans produce so much rubbish they need industrial grade bins instead of normal ones?

That's how the apartment complex I lived in for a while was. There were six blocks of flats with 2 units each arranged around a "courtyard" (really just a strip of grass around a parking lot) with a single big dumpster for trash and a second one for unsorted recyclables. No raccoons, no deer, no nothing got in, and everyone just pitched their trash bags in the open top. Easy to drop off, easy to collect.

But Australia is far more enlightened than us poor bumpkins, I'm sure.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

wobbly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131051 on: February 21, 2018, 11:18:12 am »

So in Australia apartments garbage collection is done individually by dozens or hundreds of little containers instead of a single large container that garbage men can pick up and empty neigh instantly and then move on? That sounds like it has less to do with the waste of Americans (legendary though it may be) and more to do with the intelligence of whoever made the Australian system.

Houses are more common then large apartments complexs in most areas and the arms on a garbage truck are designed for picking up a garbage bin. A dumpster would require a seperate truck or the hassle of a dual purpose truck. It's not that slow, ten bins next to each other from a ten unit building is still a heap quicker then 10 bins from ten houses.

Also most dumpster trucks pick up from the front (at least the ones I've seen). It's potentially slower if you have to manoeuvre on a major road rather then just pulling into the curve.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 11:46:19 am by wobbly »

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131052 on: February 21, 2018, 11:30:25 am »

Does Brazil have foxes, wolves, bears or raccoons? Each and everyone one of those is a good reason to use actual bins rather than bags due to their ability to shred bags with ease. Stopping rats is easier said than done, bloody things can get through concrete.
We got our own wolf species, though not around these parts. Capyvaras, though, are a common sight. Keep in mind I live in a major urban area (the metropolitan region of Rio de Janeiro, though not in the actual city (one of the neighbouring ones instead)), so the selection of wildlife is limited.
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #131053 on: February 21, 2018, 11:42:35 am »

(the metropolitan region of Rio de Janeiro, though not in the actual city (one of the neighbouring ones instead))

Rio de Febreiro?
Love, scriver~

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131054 on: February 21, 2018, 11:51:27 am »

(the metropolitan region of Rio de Janeiro, though not in the actual city (one of the neighbouring ones instead))

Rio de Febreiro?
It'd be Fevereiro, but no.
Pages: 1 ... 8735 8736 [8737] 8738 8739 ... 10983