Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8771 8772 [8773] 8774 8775 ... 10983

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13176670 times)

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #131580 on: March 17, 2018, 10:53:23 am »

USA and Russia have around 1700 ICBMs each, most launching MIRV warheads in shotgun blast patterns, with each component consisting of a bomb of roughly 10 to 15 megatons.

Tsar Bomba was a 50 megaton bomb. When it went off it was visible for hundreds of miles.

Anyway, the estimates on how bad a nuclear exchange would be vary, but most sources agree that 100 Hiroshima size weapons would cause significant climate disruption.

Hiroshima was a 15 kiloton bomb btw.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #131581 on: March 17, 2018, 11:06:53 am »

ICBM's aren't all there is. That's just the most visible thing publicly.

By that I mean my buddy in the navy had shorter-ranged MIRV style missiles that contained 12 nuclear warheads each and could take out a small-medium size city each. They parked out in the arctic/indian ocean for months at a time just in case nuclear war actually happened. They had 20+ of these missiles on the sub.

We disarmed our ICBM's, not our nukes.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #131582 on: March 17, 2018, 11:35:59 am »

Yeah. Submarines, long range bombers, cruise missiles, tactical nukes. Russia claims to have "suitcase nukes", alongside their more recent claims. All sorts of city annihilating power thankfully just sitting around quietly and not being used.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #131583 on: March 17, 2018, 03:05:08 pm »

USA and Russia have around 1700 ICBMs each, most launching MIRV warheads in shotgun blast patterns, with each component consisting of a bomb of roughly 10 to 15 megatons.

We don't have hard data on the Russian arsenal, but there is a great deal of information on the US one. For the US, you're off by quite a lot.

Going by unclassified information:

The United States has 661 ballistic missiles. 431 of these are silo-based Minuteman III ICBMs, and the remaining 230 being submarine-launched Trident SLBMs. The Minutemen are armed with a single 300 kiloton W87 warhead.

This is a total of 129.3 megatons.

The Tridents are capable of carrying up to 12 warheads, but are treaty restricted to 8. There are two warhead options for the missile, the 100 kiloton W76, and the 400 kiloton W88. The majority are armed with the W76.

Depending on warhead mix, this totals 184 (all W76) to 874 megatons (all W88)

Thus, the US missile based force has a total yield of between 313 megatons and 976, probably on the lower end of that number.

By the figures you gave, the floor figure would be 17,000 megatons.

As for nuclear winter, most of the studies involving it require a "firestorm" effect in cities hit. Not only are most of the missiles on both sides probably aimed at the other side's missiles, airbases, and such (which won't create the firestorm needed for nuclear winter to occur), a 2010 Homeland Security study suggested that a modern city won't create a firestorm at all, even if hit with a large warhead.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #131584 on: March 17, 2018, 05:07:39 pm »

Also, our shameless exploitation of all the shallow and easy to tap fossil fuels assures that another hightech revolution wont happen for a *VERY* long time.

I'd be more worried about the humans that control machines, to be honest. I mean, we do already have flying death machines that are remote-controlled...

Hell, with the range of their weapons we might not even notice they were there until it was far, far too late...

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #131585 on: March 17, 2018, 05:09:25 pm »

That's actually the main point of those, TBH.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #131586 on: March 17, 2018, 05:22:34 pm »

Dear Youtube;

Just because I subbed to one person who does workout parodies and watched a few more on form and technique does not mean I want to know which random internet celeb is using 'fake weights'.  Nor does it imply I'd like to see clickbait on my recommended vids section.  Please bring back the old ones, and stop fixing what isn't broken.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #131587 on: March 17, 2018, 05:34:57 pm »

Dear Youtube;

Just because I subbed to one person who does workout parodies and watched a few more on form and technique does not mean I want to know which random internet celeb is using 'fake weights'.  Nor does it imply I'd like to see clickbait on my recommended vids section.  Please bring back the old ones, and stop fixing what isn't broken.

Yes it does.

Sincerely,
algorithms that want your money

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131588 on: March 17, 2018, 07:24:04 pm »

One of my roommates likes to wash his dishes in our bathroom sink. Kind of gross, but that's fine as long as he cleans up afterward. What's not fine is how he's recently started washing clumps of rice and noodles down the drain. The drain got clogged this week, and I'd hoped the several days before it got unclogged would make him realize why he shouldn't do that. Clearly it did not, as evidenced by the noodles left in the sink when I got home.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #131589 on: March 17, 2018, 08:18:13 pm »

It could be worse. He could be washing his butt in the kitchen sink
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #131590 on: March 17, 2018, 09:03:31 pm »

One of my roommates likes to wash his dishes in our bathroom sink. Kind of gross, but that's fine as long as he cleans up afterward. What's not fine is how he's recently started washing clumps of rice and noodles down the drain. The drain got clogged this week, and I'd hoped the several days before it got unclogged would make him realize why he shouldn't do that. Clearly it did not, as evidenced by the noodles left in the sink when I got home.
Does he do that because he eats in his room and he's too lazy to walk all the way to the kitchen or something?

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #131591 on: March 17, 2018, 09:15:52 pm »

Maybe he exclusively eats on the loo.
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131592 on: March 17, 2018, 10:20:31 pm »

Does he do that because he eats in his room and he's too lazy to walk all the way to the kitchen or something?

Most likely, yeah. I confronted him about it and he said he'd be more careful. I'd rather he just use the kitchen sink which has mesh guards to catch food, but I guess that'll have to do for now.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #131593 on: March 18, 2018, 01:05:22 pm »

Please do not quote:

This is awful: https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/father-sues-boy-scouts-america-rejecting-15-year-old-son-syndrome-autism-eagle-scout-153042248.html

Don't lead the kid on for years and then pull the rug out from under him. They knew from the beginning what the situation was and were ok before. End of the line and then he's just retroactively screwed? I'm just very tired of a "results" focused society. Look, the poor guy is ... well ... I mean he's how he is.... The point is he's trying. At some point, there are people of all ability levels. This guy is trying his best and if nothing else, keeping out of trouble. That last point, "keeping out of trouble" is major. There are too many people causing all kinds of issues with ... pick a problem really... drugs, crime, etc. Here's some poor guy who's keeping his nose clean and doing the very best he can within his unfortunately limited capabilities. Sure, it's more of an honorary thing, but ... don't tell me everybody didn't know that from the beginning.

Just because the poor guy ... isn't going to be an astronaut ... doesn't mean they shouldn't carve out some small place of him in society. He's got a tough enough road ahead of him. We all do, really....

Please do not quote:
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 04:45:58 am by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131594 on: March 18, 2018, 02:07:14 pm »

As much as it pains me to say it, I feel as though they shouldn't have given him those badges he didn't earn, but I'm also wondering if they actually got approval from whoever they need to get approval from to give him them in the first place, as taking them away for something everyone involved already knew about is stupid, and whoever decided to do that should feel stupid... but on a related note, why are they letting girls into the boy scouts? doesn't that defeat the purpose of having two separate scout groups? Especially since AFAIK the reverse isn't also true, which could theoretically lead to a discrimination suit for the girl scouts AFAIK since not letting boys into it if the girls are now allowed into the boy scouts seems like one of those things that could be successfully sued for, but also might not be....
Pages: 1 ... 8771 8772 [8773] 8774 8775 ... 10983