Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8772 8773 [8774] 8775 8776 ... 10980

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13138479 times)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #131595 on: March 18, 2018, 02:34:39 pm »

Ha ha... why on earth did I ever think it was a good idea to start watching another BlackPantsLegion video with less than an hour (or something) before bedtime? -~-; 😅
Now I stayed up over an hour late and have had even less sleep before work than usual. Not that I don't regularly screw up and deprive myself of sleep somehow or other, but... staying up watching a YouTube video? That's ridiculous even by my standards.
It was a pretty great one, though. Also at least I managed to stop with half an hour still to go. I kinda wish this forum had an 'embarrassed/exasperated grin' emoticon.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #131596 on: March 18, 2018, 03:06:59 pm »

As much as it pains me to say it, I feel as though they shouldn't have given him those badges he didn't earn, but I'm also wondering if they actually got approval from whoever they need to get approval from to give him them in the first place, as taking them away for something everyone involved already knew about is stupid, and whoever decided to do that should feel stupid... but on a related note, why are they letting girls into the boy scouts? doesn't that defeat the purpose of having two separate scout groups? Especially since AFAIK the reverse isn't also true, which could theoretically lead to a discrimination suit for the girl scouts AFAIK since not letting boys into it if the girls are now allowed into the boy scouts seems like one of those things that could be successfully sued for, but also might not be....

The biggest difference between Girl Scouts and Boy Scouts is more that they are two completely different organizations and thereby have different ways of running their respective businesses. Beyond that when you get into the nitty gritty, it's all based upon what the local chapters are into. Back home, the Girl Scouts didn't do a whole lot of camping or anything like that, while the Boy Scouts had a host of different activities.

As for the other story... Damn that's cold hearted. Per the article, they did say that they were communicating with the nationals as the badges were being rewarded; they fudged a few areas, but they were ok with it at the time. It was only near the end where they did a gut check and decided to revoke the prior badges. Which, yes, probably by the exacting standards, the kid would have missed out.

But I do think this is one case where, rules be damned, you do the right fucking thing. The kid and his parents did their damndest to make sure that he was doing his best and living up to the ethical and moral guidelines set by the national organization. Abandoning your word at the last second is dishonorable at best and amoral at worst, especially in a situation like this where it takes advantage of someone who isn't armed to understand this kind of situation.

Ugh... Hopefully they do what they can to correct this.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 03:24:51 pm by birdy51 »
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #131597 on: March 18, 2018, 03:41:23 pm »

Deer Park tastes so much worse than pure distilled water, euch.

As for the Boy Scouts, they're mainly useful like public high school:  A gauntlet of forced social interaction, mediocre training, and extreme boredom.  That is to say, very useful for preparing young minds for adult life.

Though the Boy Scouts may have side effects like an extreme position on religion...  Reminder that I was denied my own Eagle badge for refusing to embrace religion.  So I didn't get to put that on resumes (back when the organization was respected), but I'm proud of my choice.  Though lying to infiltrate the depths of the theocratic pseudo-military organization would have been badass too.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #131598 on: March 18, 2018, 04:26:12 pm »

doesn't that defeat the purpose of having two separate scout groups? Especially since AFAIK the reverse isn't also true, which could theoretically lead to a discrimination suit for the girl scouts AFAIK since not letting boys into it if the girls are now allowed into the boy scouts seems like one of those things that could be successfully sued for, but also might not be....
Yeah, typical excessive feminism.

Woman: I want to have the right to use the men's room if I so please
Feminist: Aye, Aye
Man: I want to have the right to use the women's room if I so please
Feminists: Lock up that pervert rapist nao! Burn him!
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #131599 on: March 18, 2018, 04:37:21 pm »

Man: I want the right to my child!
Women: Naaaaaaaaaaaayoooooooo
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131600 on: March 18, 2018, 06:56:26 pm »

No, it's studenthood. TRUE studenthood, mind, not the wishy-washy-drinky-fornicatey form that's popular in these, alas, our latter years.

But yes, papers can be fun!
« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 06:59:43 pm by Th4DwArfY1 »
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #131601 on: March 18, 2018, 07:24:01 pm »

Woman: I want to have the right to use the men's room if I so please
Feminist: Aye, Aye
Man: I want to have the right to use the women's room if I so please
Feminists: Lock up that pervert rapist nao! Burn him!
when has this happened? at all?
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #131602 on: March 18, 2018, 07:35:01 pm »

Trans-exclusionary radical feminists do say the latter (from their perspective).
But they tend to be female-supremacists, AKA literally not Feminists, in addition to being jerks.  They're only relevant because they say stupid crap which right-wing people use to badmouth actual feminism.

And I'm not sure if they ever say the first thing.  If they do, it kinda just proves my hypothesis that they're supremacists instead of Feminists.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131603 on: March 18, 2018, 07:50:08 pm »

This brings to mind the fact that feminists at my university campaigned to change disabled toilets into transgendered toilets, and succeeded in this ambition without realising the difficult position this put both the transgendered and disabled in. Can you smell that? Progress.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131604 on: March 18, 2018, 08:26:57 pm »

Well, hey, I'm still having fun. I just found a letter in Bede concerning Irish computistics which really fits in with my dissertation!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131605 on: March 18, 2018, 08:29:56 pm »

Are you sure they were feminists? That seems like the opposite of usual feminist aims. Most of the feminists I know--myself included--just advocate for trans people to be let into the bathrooms of the gender they identify with/are transitioning to.
Trans-exclusionary radical feminists do say the latter (from their perspective).
But they tend to be female-supremacists, AKA literally not Feminists, in addition to being jerks.  They're only relevant because they say stupid crap which right-wing people use to badmouth actual feminism.

And I'm not sure if they ever say the first thing.  If they do, it kinda just proves my hypothesis that they're supremacists instead of Feminists.
Ah, I see what you're getting at, yeah. Can't stand TERFs, they give the movement a bad name.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 08:34:38 pm by Tawa »
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #131606 on: March 18, 2018, 08:34:51 pm »

It’s flared up recently after Katy Perry tricked a guy into kissing her on TV.
Suddenly double standards everywhere.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131607 on: March 18, 2018, 08:43:33 pm »

Are you sure they were feminists? That seems like the opposite of usual feminist aims.
How does it oppose feminist aims?

As an aside, I would feel highly uncomfortable sharing a public bathroom with a member of the opposite sex, so I'm rather glad they limited it.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131608 on: March 18, 2018, 10:10:56 pm »

This brings to mind the fact that feminists at my university campaigned to change disabled toilets into transgendered toilets, and succeeded in this ambition without realising the difficult position this put both the transgendered and disabled in. Can you smell that? Progress.
Wow that's embarrassingly face palmy. I think the problem is well beaning morons. They clearly didn't even attempt to think about what they were proposing.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131609 on: March 18, 2018, 10:20:06 pm »

Are you sure they were feminists? That seems like the opposite of usual feminist aims.
How does it oppose feminist aims?
Most feminists, in my experience, seek equal rights for men and women, trans or not. Creating a special bathroom for trans people implies they are neither men nor women, and also is awkward for everybody--
As an aside, I would feel highly uncomfortable sharing a public bathroom with a member of the opposite sex, so I'm rather glad they limited it.
--because this is the exact feeling it creates. A trans-specific bathroom would be full of both types of genitalia because people of both sexes are trans.
Pages: 1 ... 8772 8773 [8774] 8775 8776 ... 10980