Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8786 8787 [8788] 8789 8790 ... 9854

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 5970572 times)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Dead Postocalypse lies dreaming.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #131805 on: March 24, 2018, 02:21:36 pm »

There were serious injuries like partial blindness, even.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131806 on: March 24, 2018, 02:28:06 pm »

And the document said that injuries started being reported almost immediately. I can see an investigation also happening that looks into how they managed to avoid scruitiny since that's a pretty big crack to fall through.

Naxza

• Bay Watcher
  • Wanderer of Broken Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #131807 on: March 24, 2018, 03:12:25 pm »

Buy the graphics card, I said. Buy the cable to go with the graphics card, I assured myself.

The cable doesn't fit the card, or the power supply, I found. Rummage through your old garbage, find your modular power cables, I think smartly.

Cable's gone, I donated that, I recall.

Drive to my folks' place, nag my brother for his cables, and rummage through my garbage there. Success and nope, respectively.

Drive home, mash brother's cables against power supply. Doesn't fit, naturally. Gnash teeth.

Regret ordering two-day shipping on the graphics card I can't use and begin shopping for a new power supply, I decide. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #131808 on: March 24, 2018, 04:14:30 pm »

Funnily enough it was full of yorkie skin. Like, a bulk amount.
I'm trying to imagine some interplanetary boutique handbag/accessories store selling only goods made from flayed puppers.   
Hah, I've been playing Rimworld too the past few days. Getting myself hyped up for the 1.0 release.
Optimists have just used up the last bit of hope. Run for your lives!

Enjoy the freedom to explore the limits of your constraints

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131809 on: March 24, 2018, 04:48:11 pm »

M: "We want to follow this industry standard specification when developing our products".
E: "Ok, the standard says we need to do X, Y, Z."
M: "Ugh, that's a lot of work.  Can we pick and choose the parts we want?"
E:  :o

Seriously - why is this a debate? I can see having debates about "do we really want to do it then, given our resources, etc." but saying "We want to say we follow it but we don't want to actually follow it..." ugh.
Dont get me started on that.  I used to be an industrial draftsman. There is a widely published and very useful standard created by the ASME. It clearly specifies how to define datum structures, make dimensional callouts on the sheet, and how to properly project the views, amongst other things. It is very handy, and works great--- when people fucking follow it.

Oh good. I was having a small inner crisis at work today wondering if it's just the store I work where people are entirely incapable of performing the specific steps their jobs require - including using standards that are supposed to be on printouts at each and every person's station - or if it's just universal. I guess it's just universal. Not that I'm trying to compare min-wage thrift store processing to engineering design.

Is it also universal that people go out of their way to be complete assholes to everyone else? Because that's also becoming more and more of a problem at my job.

Also, wierd, just curious but when you say "plane", do you mean a mathematical plane or one that flies? I'm having slight difficulty wrapping my head around it.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #131810 on: March 24, 2018, 04:53:10 pm »

Also, wierd, just curious but when you say "plane", do you mean a mathematical plane or one that flies? I'm having slight difficulty wrapping my head around it.
Heh, he means — I mean I guess I can't say for sure, but I'm fairly confident that he means — a flat, as opposed to curving, surface, which is to say, a mathematical face.

ETA: (ffff, against my better judgement I went back and read the previous page after seeing Tiruin continue to lie and patronise in Discord, and, let's just say, Tiruin has Tiruin's own ideas about what went on and they don't apparently have to have any correlation to reality.)
« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 05:10:10 pm by Maximum Spin »

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • Make birds speedrun again
    • View Profile
« Reply #131811 on: March 24, 2018, 04:55:25 pm »

wierd could be talking about planes of existence too, y'know.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?
Quote from: Loud Whispers
Does a Laconian believe they descend from Achilles? Does an anon believe a greentext happened? Does a child believe in air? We choose the fake news we want. The eternal memri.tv

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #131812 on: March 24, 2018, 05:07:43 pm »

Or maybe it's a misspelling of 'plain'? As in, "you can't call this surface a datum, because it's not plane[sic]. It's way too fancy!".
Raise the white flag and don't give up.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • Never stabs friends, promise!
    • View Profile
« Reply #131813 on: March 24, 2018, 05:21:54 pm »

Iirc he helped design aircraft for a while
"THEN CAME TOBNOM, ASS-GOD".
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131814 on: March 24, 2018, 05:56:32 pm »

I'm pretty sure it was "The planes for the planes weren't plain planes."  8)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Dead Postocalypse lies dreaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #131815 on: March 24, 2018, 06:14:07 pm »

Maybe he was just ordering a pizza with no toppings.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Sentient Bowtie

• Bay Watcher
  • ...For that is your fate. The fate of the cursed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #131816 on: March 24, 2018, 06:41:19 pm »

ETA: (ffff, against my better judgement I went back and read the previous page after seeing Tiruin continue to lie and patronise in Discord, and, let's just say, Tiruin has Tiruin's own ideas about what went on and they don't apparently have to have any correlation to reality.)
You could always try to talk to Tiruin and fix things.
So far two babies have been born as a result from all the close action in the barracks.
You can't fuck a cartoon because cartoons are in two dimensions and you'd slice your dick off due to having touched the incredibly slight area of contact with any amount of force.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #131817 on: March 24, 2018, 06:57:18 pm »

(
You could always try to talk to Tiruin and fix things.
I'm hoping to, but our wildly divergent time zones make it difficult. Still, I'm not sure how much good it'll do, anymore. It always seemed like Tiruin and I had trouble communicating, and up until now I thought it was just your basic Wittgenstein "if a lion could talk, we wouldn't understand him" problem of totally incompatible cultural backgrounds, but, in spite of my best effort, I can't take this new exchange as anything other than intentionally malicious distortion. It's tremendously disappointing.

Thaaaaat said, I put that in small text for a reason, haha. I just wanted to, you know, register my objection rather than let Tiruin's characterisation go unchallenged; I'd rather let the matter drop out of this particular thread for now.)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #131818 on: March 24, 2018, 07:25:14 pm »

The rain heralded by vanes falls mainly onto planes.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONSUMES_VERMIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #131819 on: March 24, 2018, 07:40:20 pm »

Hard to imagine Tiruin acting maliciously towards a plant, let alone another person. Really the last person you'd think of here.

I'm sure commication issues were the cause.
I'm not around much anymore. I'll still check PMs though.
Pages: 1 ... 8786 8787 [8788] 8789 8790 ... 9854