Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8792 8793 [8794] 8795 8796 ... 10983

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13178802 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #131895 on: March 22, 2018, 09:01:40 am »

UK sending shitposter to prison for shitposting

The judge ruled that he wasn't funny enough to not be imprisoned, because the Scottish Judiciary is the best judge of comedy. Jk lol the UK is fucked, no liberty
Story from 2011, Finnish. In 1941, the Nazis were infuriated by a Finnish businessman's and his German wife's (known to have been against the Nazis) dog that did the nazi salute whenever someone said 'Hitler'. A lawsuit was threatened, but fell apart to a lack of willing witnesses. They also threatened to drive his business to bankrupcy by refusing to export, but that didn't go through either. Today the historian writing the report wonders why the Nazis even cared enough to spend precious time on this while they were preparing to invade the Soviets.

Yeah, I remember that story (not from that specific source though) of a guy who taught his dog to do a salute to annoy the Nazis. Maybe his girlfriend is a Nazi and he thought it was an okay way to annoy her?

you were told twice in the previous page not to quote truean, man, come on
Oh, is that the same guy?

I didn't catch up on the thread between when I last posted and now so I have no idea what you're talking about, but Tiruin did say something about somebody not being quoted in Discord and I'm like "uh, I don't know that guy from Adam".

I'm not comfortable with changing my post, but I'll try to keep that in mind.

Dude, how can you miss almost half of their post trying to explain why they don't like to be quoted, or even the 'please don't quote me' bits previously when you obviously removed them from the quote?

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #131896 on: March 22, 2018, 09:03:43 am »

Ooh drama

How exciting and interesting too

The judge ruled that he wasn't funny enough to not be imprisoned, because the Scottish Judiciary is the best judge of comedy. Jk lol the UK is fucked, no liberty

While the term "third world" has no precise definition, liberty is unrelated to either the original definition or common use.

Gotta have a state to have a police state fam
One wheel short of a wagon

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #131897 on: March 22, 2018, 09:05:20 am »

@Maximum Spin
It's probably a good idea, I think Toady may have enforced it at one point.  It's barely even worth discussing, much less fighting.  The mob will never stop.
Consent? Individual preferences? No, those things don't matter. Empathy is uncool and the idea that conversation on the internet involves other people has mostly gone by the wayside in favor of the idea that you're yelling at an audience. Asking something of someone else is infringing on their right to never, ever change their behavior even in the slightest.
If I demanded you not use sarcasm to snipe at me, would you comply without question?  (I wouldn't do that, it's too fun :P)

Expecting posters to obey arbitrary rules without any apparent explanation (unless they've lurked for years) is the height of gatekeeping.  I would be more sympathetic if people weren't so aggressive about "enforcing" it, and calling it "common decency".
I still suggest providing any sort of explanation in one's signature, even just a hyperlink for the curious to follow.  If it's so tiresome to explain the demand, that seems like the least one could do.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #131898 on: March 22, 2018, 09:06:51 am »

Dude, how can you miss almost half of their post trying to explain why they don't like to be quoted, or even the 'please don't quote me' bits previously when you obviously removed them from the quote?
Are you talking about the first half of the post I quoted just now? Because all I see and saw is some wanking about a "simple harmless request" without specifying what that was, which is obviously part of some earlier argument or discussion I didn't read and don't care about, presumably developed in the part of the thread I skipped, so I skimmed past and ignored that part. Since, as mentioned, I have no idea who that guy is and didn't know he cared about quoting, I didn't assume it would have anything to do with being quoted. As for the "please don't quote me bits", I don't remember those and probably also just missed them since I only bother to quote the part I'm directly responding to. (cf here.)

While the term "third world" has no precise definition, liberty is unrelated to either the original definition or common use.

Gotta have a state to have a police state fam
It's a joke. :P

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #131899 on: March 22, 2018, 09:17:17 am »

If I demanded you not use sarcasm to snipe at me, would you comply without question?

yeah, but i actually wasn't in this case, weirdly enough, was more sniping at other people i've met over the last couple years

Expecting posters to obey arbitrary rules without any apparent explanation (unless they've lurked for years) is the height of gatekeeping.  I would be more sympathetic if people weren't so aggressive about "enforcing" it, and calling it "common decency".

when people have very specific hang-ups which it takes little effort to agree to, the loss in utility on a personal level is gonna be pretty damn negligible for following their demands, even if they seem unusual; not quoting someone is as easy as, like, not quoting them

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131900 on: March 22, 2018, 09:20:06 am »

@Maximum Spin
It's probably a good idea, I think Toady may have enforced it at one point.  It's barely even worth discussing, much less fighting.  The mob will never stop.
Consent? Individual preferences? No, those things don't matter. Empathy is uncool and the idea that conversation on the internet involves other people has mostly gone by the wayside in favor of the idea that you're yelling at an audience. Asking something of someone else is infringing on their right to never, ever change their behavior even in the slightest.
If I demanded you not use sarcasm to snipe at me, would you comply without question?  (I wouldn't do that, it's too fun :P)

I still suggest providing any sort of explanation in one's signature, even just a hyperlink for the curious to follow.  If it's so tiresome to explain the demand, that seems like the least one could do.

The best part of all that nonsense is that common decency means following the common norms of a space. Which, in an online text-based forum, includes being the possibility of being quoted so that people can follow along with a thread of conversation or make specific rebuttals.  Truan's nonsense is actually violating common decency for this discussion format, and her refusal to consider the inconvenience she's causing everyone else displays a lack of empathy on her part.

Most of us go along with her request because she's so fixated on the idea that being quoted is bad that she constantly derails conversational threads to repeat it, and it's a pretty harmless request. But common decency isn't on her side. 

Let's call it what it is: going along with an extremely weird personal quirk because she makes quoting her to rebut her mostly-ridiculous statements too much hassle.
I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #131901 on: March 22, 2018, 09:27:03 am »

loss in utility
I'm not a utilitarian, bro

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131902 on: March 22, 2018, 09:31:44 am »

@Maximum Spin

The best part of all that nonsense is that common decency means following the common norms of a space. Which, in an online text-based forum, includes being the possibility of being quoted so that people can follow along with a thread of conversation or make specific rebuttals.  Truan's nonsense is actually violating common decency for this discussion format, and her refusal to consider the inconvenience she's causing everyone else displays a lack of empathy on her part.

Most of us go along with her request because she's so fixated on the idea that being quoted is bad that she constantly derails conversational threads to repeat it, and it's a pretty harmless request. But common decency isn't on her side. 

Let's call it what it is: going along with an extremely weird personal quirk because she makes quoting her to rebut her mostly-ridiculous statements too much hassle.

I think they've also said it's due to personal experiences or something.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #131903 on: March 22, 2018, 09:41:33 am »

Dont worry LW. The Soviet Union will provide you wayward shitposters with political asylum
« Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 09:43:36 am by ChairmanPoo »
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #131904 on: March 22, 2018, 10:04:18 am »

Speaking once again as the devil’s advocate to everyone- I understand it, but it is frustrating to comply with.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #131905 on: March 22, 2018, 11:42:16 am »

Might as well throw my spare change at this: while it is understandable that one may want to be able to quickly purge their posting history if someone tries to use it against them... the better method would be to simply not post anything that could be used against you.

But really, if people are going to dredge up forum history to attack you in meatspace, they are quite likely to point to the purged posts and accuse you of hiding evidence of "misdeeds".

So keep calm and carry on shitposting.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #131906 on: March 22, 2018, 11:42:32 am »

Yeah, I remember that story (not from that specific source though) of a guy who taught his dog to do a salute to annoy the Nazis. Maybe his girlfriend is a Nazi and he thought it was an okay way to annoy her?
Almost, but no. The precise joke was that his girlfriend thought her pug "Buddha" was the cutest thing ever, so to annoy her, he taught the pug to be the least cute thing he could think of: Nazi pug

Normally explaining the joke kills it but he explains it pretty funnily, and the Scottish accent helps. A large part of this is part of the UK gov's successful regulation of the wild west of the internet (indeed, when they use the term - they use it to justify curtailing freedom of expression!), to crack down on anyone who criticizes "British values." Meanwhile you can trade British girls for years as sexual property for decades and the gov imaginatively interprets "Britons never shall be slaves" as hate speech

Dont worry LW. The Soviet Union will provide you wayward shitposters with political asylum
Plays right into the hands of Westminster, who are convinced that shitposters are soldiers paid by the Soviets. Everyone knows they do it for free

I am outwardly laughing but inwardly pained

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #131907 on: March 22, 2018, 11:58:03 am »

Dutch parliament just had to suspend a debate about organized crime, when someone jumped / fell / got pushed from the second floor audience balcony.
It is unknown if he survived the fall.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #131908 on: March 22, 2018, 12:22:40 pm »

There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #131909 on: March 22, 2018, 12:35:43 pm »

Dutch parliament just had to suspend a debate about organized crime, when someone jumped / fell / got pushed from the second floor audience balcony.
It is unknown if he survived the fall.
Debate about organized crime interrupted by disorganized crime?

I am outwardly laughing but inwardly pained
Artist rendition
10 seconds later
Pages: 1 ... 8792 8793 [8794] 8795 8796 ... 10983