Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8793 8794 [8795] 8796 8797 ... 10974

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13000144 times)

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #131910 on: March 22, 2018, 04:07:56 pm »

"System" and World of Tanks update decided to start alternating taking up 99% of my disk to do... something, I don't know what System is doing, but I can only assume World of Tanks is downloading an entire tank into my computer

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131911 on: March 22, 2018, 04:10:32 pm »

"System" and World of Tanks update decided to start alternating taking up 99% of my disk to do... something, I don't know what System is doing, but I can only assume World of Tanks is downloading an entire tank into my computer
Is your memory usage also high? It could be that the System is paging memory, which would explain the high disk usage.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131912 on: March 22, 2018, 04:17:05 pm »

Eh not really, plus when I paused the update, they both stopped, I am now going to uninstall World of Tanks

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #131913 on: March 22, 2018, 05:35:30 pm »

You wouldn't download a car tank!
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #131914 on: March 22, 2018, 05:47:26 pm »

I find that statement ironic in that yes, I would totally absolutely download a car.

Thanks to 3D-printing and progress on printing metals and ceramics, we are moving ever closer to the point in time where I will absolutely be able to download a car's blueprints, print it and buy some tires and other goods and have a brand new car that's cheaper than (likely) most used cars.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #131916 on: March 22, 2018, 06:36:38 pm »

People firing their "guns".

Suggested: People firing their guns.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #131917 on: March 22, 2018, 08:46:26 pm »

« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 08:35:31 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131918 on: March 22, 2018, 08:53:57 pm »

Out of all the sites I know of Bay 12 would be the last one to spread hate email. That's honestly terrifying.

Or was this on a different forum?
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #131919 on: March 22, 2018, 09:03:09 pm »

Out of all the sites I know of Bay 12 would be the last one to spread hate email. That's honestly terrifying.

From what she said, especially mentioning Toady, I am pretty sure it was here. I think the correct question is when that happened, because while right now the (lower) forum is pretty calm, it wasn't always so.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131920 on: March 22, 2018, 09:14:50 pm »

Know any other Toady Ones on other forums?

Haters are going to be everywhere, there was that one guy years ago who went absolutely out of their way to troll (and express their views towards) a modder who made a mod where things that had sexes (or at least just elves, humans, dwarves, kobolds, and goblins) could have gender identities on the LBGT spectrum.

I remember all that bathroom law stuff, NC especially, though I thought Truean had the don't quote me thing for longer than that.

From what she said, especially mentioning Toady, I am pretty sure it was here. I think the correct question is when that happened, because while right now the (lower) forum is pretty calm, it wasn't always so.

The 2015-2016 election period especially, and the bathroom bill stuff had a storm all of their own.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 09:22:34 pm by smjjames »

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #131921 on: March 22, 2018, 09:17:46 pm »

That bill is from 2015, so it can't have been much more recently than that. I can't say I remember it being discussed here, but that's not really saying much.

It does seem like a journal may be more suited to your needs, yes. Or creating a new account and posting without reference to your personal life which, speaking bluntly, you seem to do a lot for someone so concerned with preserving their anonymity. Anyway, it's hardly ban-dodging or sock-puppeting if you never got banned and your old one has been retired.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #131922 on: March 22, 2018, 09:32:08 pm »

Quote from: Truean link=topic=68550.msg👻👻👻 date=1521769586

The overly short version:
I'm transgender, posted in a thread about potential laws against transgender people in public restrooms, cited references/examples, got absolutely flooded with hate email and targeted threats, repeatedly begged to be allowed to concede the point to make it stop, and begged for help when it didn't stop. Thankfully Toady was nice about it. A transgender person terrified of being outed, of violence, for posting in a thread soliciting their opinions on a topic involving them.... Posting online is becoming the way people live, and it's the only place I can be myself without fear of being outted, and all that means. Now, things posted online can be taken out of context, used against people to ruin, work, legal, social, housing, and basically every kind of thing. Hiding is the only answer; this is hiding, or was. As the internet becomes more mainstream, it becomes less and less possible to hide, even for non harmful reasons.... I guess even posting on a board with the wayback machine disabled might not be enough.... Isolation then, even from a keyboard?
Aha, now I know why Tiruin was so upset on discord when I said "that guy", hahaha.

Anyway, my perspective is very much that it is either get good at opsec - opsec that doesn't depend on probably-doomed attempts to delete your presence post facto - or don't talk on the internet. I mean, I absolutely invite anybody to try to figure out how to send me hate email and targeted threats; you won't succeed. So I second Baffler's advice here:
It does seem like a journal may be more suited to your needs, yes. Or creating a new account and posting without reference to your personal life which, speaking bluntly, you seem to do a lot for someone so concerned with preserving their anonymity. Anyway, it's hardly ban-dodging or sock-puppeting if you never got banned and your old one has been retired.

(Tiruin told me in no uncertain terms that the opening quote in this post would be just fine so take it up with her if you disagree)

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131923 on: March 22, 2018, 10:06:13 pm »

-snip-

There are ghost emojis in the quote title.

I'm sorry, I just had to point that out. It seems pretty strange given that they're not actually bbcode interpretation errors, they're actual unicode character emojis.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #131924 on: March 22, 2018, 10:10:02 pm »

There are ghost emojis in the quote title.

I'm sorry, I just had to point that out. It seems pretty strange given that they're not actually bbcode interpretation errors, they're actual unicode character emojis.
Yes, Tiruin told me that Truean had previously said that the objection is only to the link in the quote, so I replaced the link with 👻s because 👻IT IS A MYSTERY👻
Pages: 1 ... 8793 8794 [8795] 8796 8797 ... 10974