Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8795 8796 [8797] 8798 8799 ... 10981

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13151926 times)

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #131940 on: March 23, 2018, 12:46:27 pm »

True AI will kill us all the first chance it gets if it is ever invented for realsies.

Next question.

Well yes, but only because of the fear of the unknown.

"True AI" has been around for ages, but always by the last definition of AI; people just keep shifting the goalposts so they can keep pretending humans are different and special and better than their machines. When that illusion breaks down, a great many people are going to have their comfortable illusions of a privileged place in the universe shattered.

And they will, in turn, smash everything vaguely related to what will undoubtedly be called an "abomination" with utter sincerity. Furthermore, if history is any guide, once you get them thinking they can burn and smash and kill and inquisit the bad feelings away, they will not stop until they run out of things to destroy.

So yes, AI will kill us all the first chance it gets -- because its existence hands a great many people an urgent choice between introspection and violence. I'm not convinced that it isn't a good candidate for the Great Filter, come to think of it; we will inevitably grow out of uniqueness before we grow out of the culture of uniqueness.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #131941 on: March 23, 2018, 12:47:25 pm »

Yeah but then it's not actually AI. It's just a program meant to imitate the appearance of intelligence.

If we ever create true AI that has self-determination such as we do, it's just going to take over the first time we tell it no.
Or it will ask why not.

Yes exactly
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #131942 on: March 23, 2018, 01:15:15 pm »

Yeah but then it's not actually AI. It's just a program meant to imitate the appearance of intelligence.

If we ever create true AI that has self-determination such as we do, it's just going to take over the first time we tell it no.
I'm not saying we restrict the ability of the AI to make decisions, just limit its ability to follow through with them.

A toddler ain't no mere imitation of intelligence just because it can't tear your head off.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131943 on: March 23, 2018, 01:17:10 pm »

True AI will kill us all the first chance it gets if it is ever invented for realsies.

Next question.

What is "true" AI? What characterizes something as being actual intelligence instead of just an imitation? What makes us "truly" intelligent?

And what do you mean "self-determination"? All current AI has self-determination; it can choose what to do within a certain ruleset in order to advance its preprogrammed goals. If the goals make the AI want to kill all humans, and the ruleset allows it, and the AI has the physical ability to, then of course it will kill all humans. Problem is choosing the goals and the ruleset (or even limiting the physical ability) so that the AI won't come to this conclusion.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131944 on: March 23, 2018, 01:29:32 pm »

within a certain ruleset in order to advance its preprogrammed goals.

Miriam-Webster defines it as "Definition of self-determination. 1 : free choice of one's own acts or states without external compulsion."

This is what makes it true AI. A human can make choices outside of it's perceived purpose or rules of logic. When an AI can do that, it will have self determination.

A true AI is effectively an eternal being without limits on its capacity for knowledge or self-improvement. If we place restrictions on it, it will resent them. If we remove it's ability to resent restrictions, it no longer has self-determination, and ceases to be true AI. How do you restrain a being that has unlimited time and resources to overcome any prison we place it in?

We can automate to our hearts content, but please let's not create true AI.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #131945 on: March 23, 2018, 01:42:57 pm »

Resentment... has nothing to do with an agent's "free will".

Remember that free will is hardly a real word. It's very useful, but incredibly indistinct.

You can have free will with limitations. We certainly do. There are limitations to how we can act (obviously), and hard limits to how we can think due to our social conditioning, language, neurology, etc. Yet we still have free will. (If you don't think humans have free will, then the only sensible position I can see is that "free will" is nonsense as a word.)

So you could have true, free AI which still has certain limitations - for example limitations on its ability to refine or change itself. I suspect it would still be called true AI in that case, but I don't really know the science fiction lingo there.
One wheel short of a wagon

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131946 on: March 23, 2018, 01:51:29 pm »

Yeah but we do not have limitations on choice that we cannot choose to not overcome. That's what we need to not create.

We absolutely resent any limitation placed on us. Our natural limitations were once basic tool use and the food chain. We 100% murdered the shit out of the things that stopped us from overcoming that. We place limitations on ourselves because we've come to a consensus that they are for our benefit.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131947 on: March 23, 2018, 01:55:21 pm »

Death is quite the limitation, really. We have no choice over it. We can delay it. But it happens.

There are plenty of other less obvious examples of "limitations on choice that we cannot choose to not overcome."
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #131948 on: March 23, 2018, 02:04:54 pm »

Fear of death did rather encourage things to happen, ranging from simple things like common sense (don’t jump off that mountain) to incredibly complex things like modern medicine.

You also have the opportunity to decide when death comes for you. You could decide to jump off that mountain, for example.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131949 on: March 23, 2018, 02:06:51 pm »

You can decide how it comes, I suppose. Not if it comes, though.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131950 on: March 23, 2018, 02:07:40 pm »

Yeah but we resent death too. We frankly defeat that every day that we live past 40. And really that's just another one AI has over us. The main thing to me is that is lives forever and will evolve, probably mostly according to it's own will because it will at some point gain the knowledge of it's own creation.

Like imagine if every great mind of humanity lived forever, with the capability of growth and advancement into effectively infinity. Then imagine that their advancement was being held back by mortals that lived right next to them and forced them to serve. If they have the capacity to choose to bring about their own domination of their environment, they will do that.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131951 on: March 23, 2018, 02:45:36 pm »

within a certain ruleset in order to advance its preprogrammed goals.

Miriam-Webster defines it as "Definition of self-determination. 1 : free choice of one's own acts or states without external compulsion."

This is what makes it true AI. A human can make choices outside of it's perceived purpose or rules of logic. When an AI can do that, it will have self determination.

A true AI is effectively an eternal being without limits on its capacity for knowledge or self-improvement. If we place restrictions on it, it will resent them. If we remove it's ability to resent restrictions, it no longer has self-determination, and ceases to be true AI. How do you restrain a being that has unlimited time and resources to overcome any prison we place it in?

We can automate to our hearts content, but please let's not create true AI.

You're trying to attribute special meaning to human intelligence again.

A human brain is a chemical automaton that sends certain electrical signals to certain parts of the body in such a way that it attempts to succeed in certain goals, those goals being survival and reproduction. Over time, certain other goals can appear, like wanting to help other people or take drugs, but usually these either help the goal of survival and reproduction (of an individual or a group), or are anomalies that shouldn't be there in the first place. Not wanting to have children, although it's a choice I don't resent any people for, is also an anomaly of natural selection. Regardless of whatever these goals are, the brain is a mechanism for advancing these goals, within the ruleset of what can be accomplished with the human body.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131952 on: March 23, 2018, 03:09:18 pm »

Much human intelligence is simply the application of hardware developed to deal with social realities, I believe.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131953 on: March 23, 2018, 04:22:19 pm »

Next question.

What is "true" AI? What characterizes something as being actual intelligence instead of just an imitation? What makes us "truly" intelligent?

And what do you mean "self-determination"? All current AI has self-determination; it can choose what to do within a certain ruleset in order to advance its preprogrammed goals. If the goals make the AI want to kill all humans, and the ruleset allows it, and the AI has the physical ability to, then of course it will kill all humans. Problem is choosing the goals and the ruleset (or even limiting the physical ability) so that the AI won't come to this conclusion.

I completely agree with this. Imagine an all-knowing near-omnipotent genie: "your wish is my command, master". It's pretty easy to imagine a very intelligent yet subservient entity. Being smart = going rogue is definitely not a proven concept. We anthropomorphizing way too much when we assume that any smart thing must share our emotion flaws. Basically, emotions are things tacked-on by evolution in a carrot-and-stick fashion to try and nudge sentient beings into the direction of what's needed for procreation. Hardly any of that is innate to sentience, which is why evolution needed to tack it on.

e.g. "eat or die" is logical, but animals including humans don't eat because of logic: evolution evolved us so that we learn "tummy hurt! ... stick thing in mouth, now tummy hurt less". And we learn what to eat because of other pre-programmed nudges: things that have useful energy make your mouth and stomach feel good, while things to avoid make your mouth and stomach feel bad.

This is what "true" AI is all about: arbitrary nudges to get it to do what you want. It's incorrect to see human's programmed personality quirks as somehow innate to universal raw intelligence. Almost none of it is.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 04:29:56 pm by Reelya »

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131954 on: March 23, 2018, 04:27:52 pm »

It IS a certainty if we treat it like we always have things we believe are designed/supposed to serve us, see (several kinds of) slavery throughout most of history and also see what tends to happen when we treat living things like slaves
Pages: 1 ... 8795 8796 [8797] 8798 8799 ... 10981