Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8796 8797 [8798] 8799 8800 ... 10984

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13200404 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #131955 on: March 23, 2018, 04:32:29 pm »

We can learn a lot from evolution here. e.g. an emotion such as "boredom" might seem arbitrary and bad, but it serves an evolutionary purpose: bored entities get off their asses and do stuff. If you never got bored then you probably wouldn't ever get anything done: you'd be perfectly content sitting around watching the grass grow and enjoying the sunlight. So ... many negative emotions we take for granted or generally think are arbitrary have probably evolved for reasons like this: they make you do stuff that avoids them.

e.g. we can follow the approach from evolution here: rather than programming in hard logical contraints for what an AI can do, which it will then logically circumvent (e.g. "letter of the law" type thinking), we can program in emotions so that if it does counter-productive actions, it feels bad. Basically make it feel guilt for not doing things that help us. There's a reason evolution uses emotions rather than logic to control us: no set of rules could possible cover all eventualities, but feelings, which are general, can push you in the right direction more often than not.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 04:36:49 pm by Reelya »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #131956 on: March 23, 2018, 06:19:34 pm »

We just recieved an order or jack daniels liquor fudge caramels. I didnt even know they made these.

We also got an automotive product called "mystery oil"
I wonder where that goes
« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 06:30:50 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #131957 on: March 23, 2018, 06:47:19 pm »

We just recieved an order or jack daniels liquor fudge caramels. I didnt even know they made these.
... which is a mild wtf to me, because I'm pretty sure I did know folks made those things, and I avoid recreational alcohol like the plague it's been on my family tree.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #131958 on: March 23, 2018, 06:51:27 pm »

Isn’t almost all alcohol recreational? I would expect most people to use the word alcohol in reference to that which you can imbibe, certainly... /pedant
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #131959 on: March 23, 2018, 06:54:46 pm »

Disinfectant, accelerant (or whatever the word is). Most do, but that doesn't change the existence of rubbing alcohol and molotovs.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #131960 on: March 23, 2018, 07:20:13 pm »

Also alcohol used as a solvent

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #131961 on: March 23, 2018, 07:23:49 pm »

We also got an automotive product called "mystery oil"
I wonder where that goes
I suggest the gas tank, but it's a mystery to me. >.>
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #131962 on: March 23, 2018, 07:54:08 pm »

Trying to explain what Creative Commons is to my mom. It was pointless. Apparently stuff I threw online under CC is being 'stolen', and she's pissed about it.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 09:20:37 pm by BlackFlyme »

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #131963 on: March 23, 2018, 08:43:33 pm »

Or just remove the author and date line, like shown.
That's not acceptable to me, because it doesn't specify who I'm quoting.

So there's basically no way this is going to work? You make your judgment, explanations & risk to others aside, and there's no persuading you of using any different standard? Got it.
Choose; Ignore others; they pay the price, not you; continue disregarding.... Any further discussion or attempts to persuade will likewise just add to it.
Purposefully ignoring preferences, and feelings is neglecting determinate variables. More simply, it's neglecting humanity and being humane.
Persuading, educating, discussing, addressing objections to overcome them, why do those things when someone else can be forced out? That's basically all my fears of AI.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 09:00:43 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #131964 on: March 23, 2018, 08:47:49 pm »

urge . . . to sig . . . ugggh

Not exactly, but I thought a light troll would be worth it.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131965 on: March 23, 2018, 09:25:42 pm »

urge . . . to sig . . . ugggh

Not exactly, but I thought a light troll would be worth it.[/color]

Hah, lol.

However, you can sig without putting the author and date link in, Teneb does that. Still polite to ask though.

@Truean: I think Maximum Spin is just being a bit obtuse.

Moving on.... to whatever subject.

A new WTF, you know the whole Cambridge Analytics thing? Well, John Boltons PAC wanted to make people more militaristic with help from Cambridge Analytics. I guess it shouldn't surprise me that John Boltons PAC would be militaristic, but aren't we already pretty militaristic? Besides, there's already tried and true methods of drumming up war fervor.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131966 on: March 23, 2018, 09:37:30 pm »

I'm sure some of the Republicans would love to implement the whole 'Service Guarantees Citizenship' thing, but only if it wouldn't apply to them or their families.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 09:39:37 pm by Reelya »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #131967 on: March 23, 2018, 09:45:05 pm »

*Suddenly reminded of the "diner" mission in Destroy All Humans!"

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #131968 on: March 23, 2018, 10:09:05 pm »

Or just remove the author and date line, like shown.
That's not acceptable to me, because it doesn't specify who I'm quoting.

So there's basically no way this is going to work? You make your judgment, explanations & risk to others aside, and there's no persuading you of using any different standard? Got it.
Choose; Ignore others; they pay the price, not you; continue disregarding.... Any further discussion or attempts to persuade will likewise just add to it.
Purposefully ignoring preferences, and feelings is neglecting determinate variables. More simply, it's neglecting humanity and being humane.
Persuading, educating, discussing, addressing objections to overcome them, why do those things when someone else can be forced out? That's basically all my fears of AI.
oh look, yet more posts badgering me about something I don't care about after I thought the topic had expired hours ago

I am no longer interested in pursuing this discussion further, and I am officially coöpting that guy's "don't quote me" stance and expanding it to: don't quote me or talk to me in any way about this particular subject at all, ever

I'm going to bed, please resume your regularly scheduled Cambridge Analytics / Destroy All Humans conversation and let's never speak of this again

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #131969 on: March 23, 2018, 10:17:06 pm »

ok weird how you perpetuated the discussion but cannot adequately rebut this point
Black lives matter.
Pages: 1 ... 8796 8797 [8798] 8799 8800 ... 10984