Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8838 8839 [8840] 8841 8842 ... 10970

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 12950311 times)

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #132585 on: April 12, 2018, 11:32:29 pm »

There is no slur for Roblox or its players. For Minecraft, there is "Minecrap" and "Minecrappers". There needs to be one.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #132586 on: April 12, 2018, 11:39:13 pm »

You don't understand.

Roblox is the slur.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #132587 on: April 12, 2018, 11:40:06 pm »

Roblots
Pooblox
?????

All I know is that the neighbor lady's grandkid just cant live without that shit, and it fucks up the computer it is installed on in like, a day. It does not uninstall cleanly, and the games on it are the worst kind of tripe imaginable.

Blech.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #132588 on: April 12, 2018, 11:41:26 pm »

Hey now, some of us enjoy Roblox.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #132589 on: April 12, 2018, 11:47:53 pm »

"oof"
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • the earth spins very fast
    • View Profile
« Reply #132590 on: April 12, 2018, 11:51:12 pm »

"roblox players" is a fine enough insult on its own.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132591 on: April 13, 2018, 12:07:06 am »

Or maybe we shouldn't insult people just because of their own personal preferences.

I, for one, do enjoy Minecraft, if only because of the redstone mechanics.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132592 on: April 13, 2018, 12:07:18 am »

Pooblots. Yeah.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132593 on: April 13, 2018, 01:02:10 am »

I also wrote a program that deletes Pooblots and Minecrap content from the computer and replaces them with a program that displays "geeeettt dunked on". It was to make my brother not play either of these. It worked, but as he knew how to code, he deleted the source code.

On topic, my cat seems to often get next to me and yowl a lot once a day. Definitely not related to feeding.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132594 on: April 13, 2018, 01:39:59 am »

Hey! When I was a kid I used to play roblox. Yes, most of the games were crap but there were a few gems.

One game in particular that I liked was Galleons!. Basically, there were two teams. Each team controlled a ship and the members would have to man various parts of it to destroy the enemy. One of the mannable positions was the captain’s chair that steered the ship. Arguably the most important role to fulfill, his job was to steer the ship and make sure that the cannons were in the optimal position to take out the enemy. The rest of us manned cannons and we would aim them at certain parts of the ship to blow it up.

The most notable thing about that game was its detailed destruction. Like many objects in roblox, the ships were made out of LEGO bricks. Shooting the right LEGO bricks would obviously cause it to get blasted off. But the creator didn’t stop there. The individual legobricks themselves could also be broken apart. If you shot the left side of a 2x24, you would blow off a 2x6 and be left with a 2x18 still attached to the ship. Not only did it increase optimization, but it also made the game as a whole look nicer. Destruction wasn’t just a vanity thing either. A key part of the combat was shooting out vital points of the ship. You could shoot out cannons for example, though it was difficult to do since engagement ranges were pretty far and cannonballs are not the easiest projectile to work with. If you damaged enough of the hull, you might expose some gunpowder barrels and shooting those would cause them to explode for massive damage.

Fast forward ten years from now and all of a sudden Blackwake hits early access and receives rave reviews. The game is basically a galleons clone, but there are  differences. For one, we have modern graphics. Two, the cannonball system is more sophisticated. Now you ferry gunpowder from a designated area to the cannon and load one of several varieties of cannonball. Grapeshot for example. These changes I mentioned above are great, but there were many missteps as well. I’ll list them from least shitty to most shitty.

First, the ships are tiny now! In the original Galleons, you were inside a full sized pirate ship. There were potentially 3 floors underneath the deck alone! It was easy to appreciate the scale of the destruction as your ship slowly became Swiss cheese. The Blackwake ships on the other hand look like shrunk down versions that you would find at an amusement park. This change was a result of a shift from a game where you were just a cog in the swashbuckling machine to one where it’s you and your friends vs the world. Though I don’t like it, I understand the reason for it.

The second change that I hate is the removal of being able to aim with your cannons. I realize that it’s more realistic, but the gameplay consequences are huge. The outcome of a fight is even more disproportionately reliant on the skill of the captain and now as a crewman, the only thing that determines whether your shot will hit is your timing. Press the button right as the enemy ship is about to sail into it’s trajectory and you’ll get a hit. Maybe with enough practice you’ll be able to hit something important and really mess them up.

Except you can’t! Destruction is massively oversimplified in that game and none of it really means much since you can just repair it away. The ship is divided into segments and if a canonball hits that segment, a hole appears at the designated spot for the segment. It doesn’t matter where in the segment you hit it, the hole will always appear in one of the predetermined places. You can then walk up to it, wack it with a tool a few times, and it’s like nothing ever happend. This just makes the whole game a lot more artificial and since there aren’t any proper weak points on the ship, destruction is reduced to being merely a graphical effect. No more will your ship be slowly worn down in successive fights with the enemy as you wear down their’s. Now it’s just about who can get the fight that does more damage than the opposing crew are capable of repairing in time.

There were other positive changes as well (such as ramming), but the core of Galleons!, what made it so great is completely missing in Blackwake. People will play it for a while, but then it will drop in popularity once the novelty has worn off. There are many games that you can play with friends. There are very few that allow you to shoot at and dismantle a ship piece by piece. It’s a shame Blackwake wasn’t one of them.

EDIT: Just checked the steam page. Seems like they’ve made a few improvements since I last saw it. Ship sizes are getting bigger, though still not as big as the ones in Galleons!, and it’s now possible to aim the cannons up and down (though still no left and right). Being able to hit your shot is still dependent on the captain and there are as of yet no weak spots. It’s only a matter of wether you can hit the enemy ship or not. Destruction is still shit, though I don’t think they’re ever going to remove repairing.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 02:10:47 am by heydude6 »
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #132595 on: April 13, 2018, 01:49:52 am »

-snip-
That was a very interesting read, thank you!

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #132596 on: April 13, 2018, 04:07:42 am »

I think my writing is too blunt and heavy or it gets overly verbose and too flowery. I only like maybe one paragraph in ten that I write.
That there is called talent. You notice when your writing tips too much into either direction, and you know what you like. All you need is more practice to get better at straddling that line between beige and purple.
I can't recall Han's style. Is there a sample anywhere handy?

I would link you to The Lillian Helsbrecht story but I'm on a cell phone and it's dreadfully tedious to do so. And it's 4am.

Edit: it's here on the forum in Creative Projects under that name.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 05:30:49 am by Hanslanda »
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #132597 on: April 13, 2018, 04:56:36 am »

Great, now YouTube broke its search: If you try to search for something on a single channel ("Fallout", for example), the URL will break by putting the search request into itself, and you'll be redirected to a YouTuber, which either exists or not. It has a very simple remedy, however: Go to a previous page.

Still, how can you fuck-up such a simple feature like searching WITHIN A SINGLE CHANNEL!?
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

Pancakes

• Bay Watcher
  • Cancels drink: Too insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #132598 on: April 13, 2018, 05:37:30 am »

-snip-

Oh, I remember Galleons! That game was the best!

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #132599 on: April 13, 2018, 08:25:43 am »

Me neither. Still, fits her future career role as crazy-palm-reader-who-owns-a-lot-of-black-cats.

Aerica's Arcane Solutions: Astrology, Psychic Readings and Palmistry.

Does that mean that in addition to reading your palm she can also read Uranus?
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 8838 8839 [8840] 8841 8842 ... 10970