Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8845 8846 [8847] 8848 8849 ... 10983

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13173006 times)

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #132690 on: April 15, 2018, 02:01:31 pm »

We've had at least two religion threads that didn't end in crucijihad so I suspect a bible discussion wouldn't be horribad as long as people keep to the rules.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #132691 on: April 15, 2018, 02:08:31 pm »

By "God refuses to explain what actually transgressed" do you mean he didn't explain it to Job? Or it wasn't explained to the reader?
It wasn´t explained to anyone.

I'd caution not to confuse Job as a history book though
eh... don´t worry  ;D

The whole Bible is about how your lot in life (or death) has nothing to do with your actions but wholly on God's actions and promises.  Sadly humans really like to tie afterlife to works though, so even after Christ the Christian church has done a really fine job of tying salvation back to works when that was a very specific thing that Jesus taught against.
I´m going to guess you´re a Christian Protestant? That sounds like a very Protestant interpretation of the New Testament
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #132692 on: April 15, 2018, 02:14:55 pm »

The book of Job is an illustration of God's power over man, and man's devotion to God.  It also reinforces the idea that it's not man's place to dig into the will of God, and that there is a reason things happen.

In this case, it happens because God wants to demonstrate how devoted his followers can be.

It is never explicitly spelled out, but its all presented in clear fashion.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #132693 on: April 15, 2018, 02:27:16 pm »

By "God refuses to explain what actually transgressed" do you mean he didn't explain it to Job? Or it wasn't explained to the reader?
It wasn´t explained to anyone.
The whole chapters of God talking with The Accuser seemed pretty clear...and the interaction between Job and his 3 "friends"...
I'd caution not to confuse Job as a history book though
eh... don´t worry  ;D

The whole Bible is about how your lot in life (or death) has nothing to do with your actions but wholly on God's actions and promises.  Sadly humans really like to tie afterlife to works though, so even after Christ the Christian church has done a really fine job of tying salvation back to works when that was a very specific thing that Jesus taught against.
I´m going to guess you´re a Christian Protestant? That sounds like a very Protestant interpretation of the New Testament
Yes, Protestant which is about as far as I go with denominational labels.  Hence my suggestion for a Bible discussion thread - for instance, why is there such a difference between Catholic and Protestant interpretations of the new testament? Lots of good discussion that can be had, and hopefully with enough decorum to talk about the differences with civility.

EDIT: ugh, I got ninja'd!

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #132694 on: April 15, 2018, 02:28:46 pm »

I thought the book of Job was about the founding of Apple?  :P
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132695 on: April 15, 2018, 02:29:46 pm »

The book of Job is about a virtual family in Oregon trail on the Mac.  A banker and his wife buy 500lb of bacon but no gun.
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #132696 on: April 15, 2018, 02:30:14 pm »

Maybe we'll all get to heaven, if we all fill our role. Maybe that was what they meant.
Maybe a lot of things.
Religion is confusing, but I doubt a forum is the worst place to discuss it.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #132697 on: April 15, 2018, 02:35:01 pm »

Well, I mean, in that specific instance the reason was "Satan: 'hey God, betcha Job will renounce you if horrible things happen to him', God: 'betcha he won't'" (Job 1:10-12), and then Job's children and servants were murdered on a bet.

But it's okay, because God gave Job a new and better family (42:13) after everything was said and done.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132698 on: April 15, 2018, 02:38:37 pm »

That was more showing that God can reverse fortune, and that faith in him will result in happenis.

I think a lot of people get caught up on the 'Good God' stuff.  OT God was Firebolts and Sodom-y
PKs DF Mod!

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #132699 on: April 15, 2018, 02:45:28 pm »

I started a new topic for all that... hop on over!

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #132700 on: April 15, 2018, 02:45:38 pm »

I was somehow really happy to be seeing DF stuff in this thread.
Maybe I should dust the sucker off again.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132701 on: April 15, 2018, 02:47:40 pm »

That was more showing that God can reverse fortune, and that faith in him will result in happenis.

I think a lot of people get caught up on the 'Good God' stuff.  OT God was Firebolts and Sodom-y

Was that typo there intentional? lol....

I started a new topic for all that... hop on over!

I suppose a new religion thread would be useful since the current active (for a degree of 'active') one has a topic starter who can't lock the thread in case things go south.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #132702 on: April 15, 2018, 02:50:34 pm »

In the Old Testament, God went down to Earth and got into a wrestling match with a dude (Jacob) that lasted an entire night or something for reasons. I think it was for the universal championship or something.

He also told one of his prophets (Isaiah), "Hey yo, Isaiah sounds like a normal name, but you gotta name your sons Shear-Jashub and Maher-shalal-hash-baz"

There also that one time kids were making fun of the baldness Prophet Elisha, so God came in with the assist by summoning bears to maul 42 of them

Old Testament had some wacky stuff in it
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132703 on: April 15, 2018, 02:52:06 pm »

In the Old Testament, God went down to Earth and got into a wrestling match with a dude (Jacob) that lasted an entire night or something for reasons. I think it was for the universal championship or something.

He also told one of his prophets (Isaiah), "Hey yo, Isaiah sounds like a normal name, but you gotta name your sons Shear-Jashub and Maher-shalal-hash-baz"

There also that one time kids were making fun of the baldness Prophet Elisha, so God came in with the assist by summoning bears to maul 42 of them

Old Testament had some wacky stuff in it

quoting and moving to the new topic.
Pages: 1 ... 8845 8846 [8847] 8848 8849 ... 10983