Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8849 8850 [8851] 8852 8853 ... 10983

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13174001 times)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #132750 on: April 16, 2018, 01:54:23 pm »

Had a dumb thought a minute ago about brewing alcohol from marine algae, which led to a google search. Among billions of articles about a brewing company "making a statement" with an "algae inspired" green colored beer regarding a toxic algae bloom in lake Erie, which apparently isnt made from marine algae at all, i found that Wharf Brewing Company is making beer from local seaweed (wherever they are), which is actually interesting. The wtf is why i cant actually find information on brewing alcohol from algae, but instead get old news about whatever... All i wanted to know is whether anyone has tried using marine algae as a sugar source for brewing...
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 01:57:34 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #132751 on: April 16, 2018, 01:58:33 pm »

This is your friendly reminder that Transformers, GI Joe, and ROM Spaceknight are all also part of the Marvel universe.
Love, scriver~

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132752 on: April 16, 2018, 02:04:17 pm »

This is your friendly reminder that Transformers, GI Joe, and ROM Spaceknight are all also part of the Marvel universe.
That's a joke, right?
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #132753 on: April 16, 2018, 02:07:02 pm »

Slushy slop is falling from the sky again. Its not even either snow or rain, its bullshit.

Id kick jack frost in the nuts but he probably wouldnt feel it because its so damn cold
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #132754 on: April 16, 2018, 02:08:17 pm »

That's a joke, right?
Nope!
In fact Transformers is a sequel of GI JOE
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #132755 on: April 16, 2018, 02:10:14 pm »

All i wanted to know is whether anyone has tried using marine algae as a sugar source for brewing...
Almost certainly yes. One can make alcohol from pretty much anything with the slightest bit of sugar or starch in it. Actual results including taste may vary, but it's definitely possible.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #132756 on: April 16, 2018, 02:18:52 pm »

Had a dumb thought a minute ago about brewing alcohol from marine algae, which led to a google search. Among billions of articles about a brewing company "making a statement" with an "algae inspired" green colored beer regarding a toxic algae bloom in lake Erie, which apparently isnt made from marine algae at all, i found that Wharf Brewing Company is making beer from local seaweed (wherever they are), which is actually interesting. The wtf is why i cant actually find information on brewing alcohol from algae, but instead get old news about whatever... All i wanted to know is whether anyone has tried using marine algae as a sugar source for brewing...

Well, how much sugar content even is there? And what kinds of marine algae? I know that stuff like "blue-green algae" (I.e. spirulina) is just called that, while actually being a bacteria, but I don't know how many other "algaes" that kind of mislabeling applies to.

You use barley malt because barley has a lot of sugars that can be converted via roasting to make them even more accessible for the yeast, and because it and the roasting process give a nice flavor (speaking of, I tried out a rye-based beer a while back, and it ended up being remarkably tasty).

If there aren't enough accessible sugars, best case is you're going to have to wait a seriously long time for it to finish brewing, and worst case it just falls apart into a useless and potentially harmful mess.

Most "experimental" brew I've heard of was the one brewed with vaginal yeast.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #132757 on: April 16, 2018, 02:48:43 pm »

I figured it should be possible by all rights as i do understand the basics of the process, i was as much interested in whether or not it has been done and what the results were, as to verify that it should be possible. Photosynthetic algae presumably produce sugars after all.
I make Spellcrafts!

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132758 on: April 16, 2018, 02:54:04 pm »

I figured it should be possible by all rights as i do understand the basics of the process, i was as much interested in whether or not it has been done and what the results were, as to verify that it should be possible. Photosynthetic algae presumably produce sugars after all.

Algenol does it, if you want to go look up their yields.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #132759 on: April 16, 2018, 03:06:17 pm »

Yeah, for fuel production, i remember that now...

Jesus christ this weather is ridiculous. Its gone from sandblasting us with sand size hail to bright and sunny back to 1/4 inch hail and then raining lakes. Sideways. In 45 minutes.

Must have 40mph winds bc i see shit blowing by faster than the traffic which is 35
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 03:24:31 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #132760 on: April 16, 2018, 03:22:15 pm »

Had over a foot of snow over the weekend.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #132761 on: April 16, 2018, 03:25:28 pm »

Yeah we had ridiculous wind gusts last night, too. Some rain, but mostly wind.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #132762 on: April 16, 2018, 04:33:38 pm »

IŽve figured out my problem with Torchlight II. I used to think that I got bored because skill progression was boring... and it is, after a fashion. But the real problem is that XP gain and difficulty are all out of sync. In diablo II, for instance, when you played a higher difficulty, the XP gain was higher. So it made sense if you knew the ropes of the game to start level 1 characters at higher difficulty (well, actually, playernumber 8) because the monsters were tougher, but you levelled up faster, and thus got more toys to fight the bosses with.

In Torchlight II XP gain is flat, so if you start at max difficulty all youŽre doing is increasing exponentially the amount of monster grinding youŽll have to throw in (which is not straightforward to do in TL2 either as the gameworld is persistent unless you regenerate it). if anything it slows down xp gain because it will take more time to kill anything. Hence... frustration
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 04:35:13 pm by ChairmanPoo »
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #132763 on: April 16, 2018, 05:14:19 pm »

Wait, really? I thought it said you'd get more XP/loot for playing on hard... Well, that explains a few things.

And yeah, I sank a few hours into it, and I liked a lot of the design decisions... But something just didn't feel right. It was too... sterile. Everything was so neatly packaged and perfectly tied up with a bow that you couldn't really penetrate the exterior and get into it. Or maybe I just got tired of the art style...

It's a shame. Lots of the original devs from Diablo 2 moved house to work on Torchlight after they felt the recent decisions from Blizzard high command weren't all that great... And then Blizzard poops out Diablo 3, and that is what it is. So, both of Diablo's legacies ended up being kinda... Disappointing.

In other news, I might need to seek treatment for ellipsis addiction...

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #132764 on: April 16, 2018, 05:20:21 pm »

That's a joke, right?

Nope! Marvel used to (and thus still does) have the policy that everything they published was part of the Marvel universe. And they published a whole lotta comics for Hasbro.
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 8849 8850 [8851] 8852 8853 ... 10983