Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8877 8878 [8879] 8880 8881 ... 10983

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13170392 times)

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #133170 on: April 26, 2018, 11:42:03 pm »

For some reason I'm getting really frustrated at the early 2000s-mid 2010s fantasy aesthetic (e.g. dnd 3rd-4th edition, pathfinder, tes 3-5, to a certain degree the lotr movies, definitely the hobbit movies, maybe the newer fire emblem games?) You probably know the kind of thing I mean--the super overwrought style where bloody everything is covered in spikes and engravings and shit. Can't pick up a sword without pinching your finger in the weirdly minute eagle pattern in the hilt, can't put on a helmet without hitting the ceiling with the random brick of steel coming up out of the front, etc.

Dunno why it bothers me so much, but I just can't get over it.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133171 on: April 26, 2018, 11:52:41 pm »

It's the uncanny valley effect. The engravings are all there, but almost none of them are of cheese or important political figures cowering in fear; things menace with spikes, but not hanging rings. To top it all off, FPS is suspiciously high.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #133172 on: April 26, 2018, 11:56:58 pm »

Why do a large number of people here seem to hate Roblox? I haven't played it, but it doesn't seem super hate-worthy on the surface.

Community = Crap, Gameplay = Crap, Graphics = Crap. Triple C game. The servers should be taken down by a skilled team of hackers, or just broken into and destroyed with a fire axe. Pooblots, as I call it. Same with Minecrap.

Salt the Roblox!

Minecrap at least lets you host your own server, and you can actually make it private. (The server has a whitelist feature.)  This would let you keep teabagging 12 year olds out, and have a more controlled, more enjoyable experience for your invited players.

Roblox on the other hand---- It revels in the 10 to 12 year old immaturity. Its client is a computer destroying cluster of hentai tentacles that never uninstalls cleanly, and breaks every other week. They update the client like they were changing clothes, and the situation of clean uninstall never gets addressed. As the poor schlub who has to "Fix the computer!!!" all the damn time, forgive me when I say that the people who run/program Roblox and its client need to be tortured by horny japanese sex demons with spiked, oversized penises for all eternity.

I think that about covers my extreme dislike for Roblox.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #133173 on: April 27, 2018, 12:09:24 am »

For some reason I'm getting really frustrated at the early 2000s-mid 2010s fantasy aesthetic (e.g. dnd 3rd-4th edition, pathfinder, tes 3-5, to a certain degree the lotr movies, definitely the hobbit movies, maybe the newer fire emblem games?) You probably know the kind of thing I mean--the super overwrought style where bloody everything is covered in spikes and engravings and shit. Can't pick up a sword without pinching your finger in the weirdly minute eagle pattern in the hilt, can't put on a helmet without hitting the ceiling with the random brick of steel coming up out of the front, etc.

Dunno why it bothers me so much, but I just can't get over it.
Because according to moviemakers, more embellishments == better character design. I, too, enjoy simpler designs where a few embellishments enhance the design rather than many replace it. People should learn that even a smooth surface can be a good detail, just like you don't need to add chili powder to mashed potatoes, and shouldn't unless you know exactly what you're doing. To keep the food metaphor going, I'd rather have a steak with sauce than sauce with a steak, and it's possible the steak would be better without the sauce. "Adding detail" doesn't mean you should draw attention away from the main body of the design. On the contrary, details should draw attention to the design.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133174 on: April 27, 2018, 12:13:38 am »

This is what I disliked especially about the Transformers movies, the redesigned 'bots that look crap unless you're watching in the cinema because they have too much detail.

The Transformers film designers should take cues from automobile and plane designers: the real machines they're transforming into don't have all the cruft, for perfectly good aesthetic and design principles.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #133175 on: April 27, 2018, 02:04:10 am »

While I agree that too much busywork in design is tiring and ends up being visual noise for the most part, I'm not sure where you're seeing this in LotR? If anything, the movie was full of simple, nice designs that made sense for the setting.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #133176 on: April 27, 2018, 06:01:52 am »

I am of an opinion in agreement with the overhead posting fellow
Love, scriver~

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #133177 on: April 27, 2018, 07:51:19 am »

The IAAF decided today to ban women that have a too high testosteron level from competing in the Olympics on the 400, 800, and 1500m concours, unless they start hormone therapy to bring down their (natural) testosteron levels.

Athletes that do not wish to do so, will be allowed to compete with the male athletes.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 07:53:06 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #133178 on: April 27, 2018, 07:58:57 am »

The IAAF decided today to ban women that have a too high testosteron level from competing in the Olympics on the 400, 800, and 1500m concours, unless they start hormone therapy to bring down their (natural) testosteron levels.

Athletes that do not wish to do so, will be allowed to compete with the male athletes.

I... I don't know how I feel about this.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #133179 on: April 27, 2018, 08:06:55 am »

It's quite unfair. Women with 'high testosterone levels' might be slightly in the advantage compared to other women, but they are still at a major disadvantage compared to men.

female high testosterone << male normal testosteron

So if the argument is fairness, they should make an entire new category for 'women with high testosterone', and not offer them to compete with men.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #133180 on: April 27, 2018, 08:10:40 am »

Yea, that's a horrible decision. "Either alter your body's chemistry or get lost."

How stupid are they? Are they going to tell men with high oestrogen levels that they have to play with the women?

It's a competitive women's sport. Not a competitive anyone-with-low-testosterone-levels sport.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #133181 on: April 27, 2018, 08:31:15 am »

And according to the news, it's getting blasted as blatant... racism?

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #133182 on: April 27, 2018, 08:37:54 am »

Just sounds like a general solution to the issue of trans-athletes, to me.  No solution is going to be perfect.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Billy

• Bay Watcher
  • 2495 2837 1566
    • View Profile
« Reply #133183 on: April 27, 2018, 09:00:58 am »

^

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #133184 on: April 27, 2018, 09:05:40 am »

Yea, that's a horrible decision. "Either alter your body's chemistry or get lost"
Taken out out context, that'd be nicely ironic: "I thought the Olympics were against doping."
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.
Pages: 1 ... 8877 8878 [8879] 8880 8881 ... 10983