Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8890 8891 [8892] 8893 8894 ... 10983

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13177771 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #133365 on: May 02, 2018, 02:52:20 am »

That's the whole problem. 'Because we weren't very profitable'.

Healthcare should never strive for profit, because then you have a perverse incentive to keep people dependant on healthcare for profit's sake, or, as you said earlier, to keep beds filled, even if your facility isn't capable of providing all the needed care.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #133366 on: May 02, 2018, 03:25:40 am »

See: The Goldman Sachs review of whether or not it was a sustainable business practice to cure patients.

I mean, that's kind of a creepy question to begin with, but the report goes deeper into things like their Hep C treatment, and how it's not only curing individuals (which is bad for business), but that the treatments are reducing the incident pool because there are fewer contagious people spreading the disease.

The fact that something like that can get discussed under the topic of profits is terrifying.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #133367 on: May 02, 2018, 03:33:50 am »

But the invisible hand!!  Laissez faire is the word of GOD!

DONT YOU BELIEVE IN THE FREE MARKET!?

/sarcasm.  Dripping, molten, caustic sarcasm

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #133368 on: May 02, 2018, 06:29:54 am »

See: The Goldman Sachs review of whether or not it was a sustainable business practice to cure patients.

I mean, that's kind of a creepy question to begin with, but the report goes deeper into things like their Hep C treatment, and how it's not only curing individuals (which is bad for business), but that the treatments are reducing the incident pool because there are fewer contagious people spreading the disease.

The fact that something like that can get discussed under the topic of profits is terrifying.
Ah

I do wish we rather still had a rage thread

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #133369 on: May 02, 2018, 06:38:47 am »

MARKETS JUST WANT TO BE FREE.

It would be nice if we actually had more of a free market actually.  Barriers to entry are so high for most industries they are de facto restricted (by, for instance, capital cost requirements), even if not explicitly restricted by things like IP or compliance restrictions.

When it comes to thing like medicine, I would actually fully support a public lab that would do the research and development for drugs specifically so they wouldn't be patent-encumbered and could be made readily available to more people at reasonable cost.  Heck, I wonder if taxes would actually have a better ROI if we did it that way instead of funding, say, medicare... a billion dollars to develop a drug is peanuts compared to the national annual spending on drugs.

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #133370 on: May 02, 2018, 06:54:33 am »

Yes, avoiding Steven Universe is indeed a wise course of action.
Hmm, debatable. :3
One heck of a debate. Wise course of action, or wisest course of action? Find out next time on Dragonball Z

That show hasn't been the same since Vegeta suffered a bowel prolapse.
Vegeta just was not the same person after Dr Picollo's treatments.
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #133371 on: May 02, 2018, 07:48:50 am »

MARKETS JUST WANT TO BE FREE.

It would be nice if we actually had more of a free market actually.  Barriers to entry are so high for most industries they are de facto restricted (by, for instance, capital cost requirements), even if not explicitly restricted by things like IP or compliance restrictions.

When it comes to thing like medicine, I would actually fully support a public lab that would do the research and development for drugs specifically so they wouldn't be patent-encumbered and could be made readily available to more people at reasonable cost.  Heck, I wonder if taxes would actually have a better ROI if we did it that way instead of funding, say, medicare... a billion dollars to develop a drug is peanuts compared to the national annual spending on drugs.
I agree on both counts (markets being de facto restricted, and public drug R&D).  Seems to me that health care, including pharmaceutical research, is one of the most strategic resources you could have.  Our current profit-oriented system does drive development, but only with astronomic costs.  (And as usual we pay the costs, and the world benefits - that'd be more obvious if we the USA owned these patents we pay for.)
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #133372 on: May 02, 2018, 07:56:36 am »

Vegeta just was not the same person after Dr Picollo's treatments.
Thanks doc

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133373 on: May 02, 2018, 09:44:51 am »

What do you think the NIH funds, exactly?

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #133374 on: May 02, 2018, 10:19:25 am »

The girl I went to senior prom with made a dress out of Dorito bags and I am just now seeing posts about it on social media.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #133375 on: May 02, 2018, 12:16:09 pm »

Seen that. It's a legit meme now.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #133376 on: May 02, 2018, 12:21:17 pm »

I've seen someone open up a bag of Tostitos, add some (uncooked) chopped hot dog pieces, then pour in Clamato.

Fuckin *hork*

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #133377 on: May 02, 2018, 12:21:49 pm »

The girl I went to senior prom with made a dress out of Dorito bags and I am just now seeing posts about it on social media.

Are you the guy in the picture?
Love, scriver~

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #133378 on: May 02, 2018, 12:22:55 pm »

I've seen someone open up a bag of Tostitos, add some (uncooked) chopped hot dog pieces, then pour in Clamato.

Fuckin *hork*
WHAT KIND OF MONSTER.

Disclaimer: I have never tried clamato.

Are you the guy in the picture?
We must know.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #133379 on: May 02, 2018, 01:07:22 pm »

Fuckin *hork*
WHAT KIND OF MONSTER.

Disclaimer: I have never tried clamato.
Apparently it was just some foul variation of an otherwise common Mexican snack food (Tostilocos), but... Still eugh.

Not that people north of the border have shown any responsibility in handling Clamato either, as evidenced by this monstrosity sighted at Walmart.
Pages: 1 ... 8890 8891 [8892] 8893 8894 ... 10983