Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8892 8893 [8894] 8895 8896 ... 9813

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 5881900 times)

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody cared who I was until I found Sub-Wikis
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #133395 on: May 07, 2018, 10:44:46 pm »

How could you have posted that if Tux kitty is blocking the laptop?!?
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm Just Skin And Bones
    • View Profile
« Reply #133396 on: May 07, 2018, 10:49:34 pm »

Carefully.  With much pats.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
I track my running!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133397 on: May 08, 2018, 12:33:47 am »

I'm still getting some persistent emails. Ignoring them doesn't seem to be helping. I got two just today.
You okay? Are the emails threatening?

I mentioned before, but someone's trying to get me to sell 3d models on some site. They're just oddly persistent, given how many other people there are to pester.

Came here to drop a thought, wondering why people keep downloading my mediocre models. Someone's persistently emailing me to sell them on some site.

Get reminded of an economics teacher I had who absolutely despised farmers.

I'd just flag them as junk, possibly auto-send to junkmail, if they're that annoying.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133398 on: May 08, 2018, 12:34:46 am »

WhyTF is this workday passing so slowly. x_x
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #133399 on: May 08, 2018, 01:17:09 am »

WhyTF is this workday passing so slowly. x_x
It is scientifically proven that workdays run at 0.5 times the normal passage of time. But it could very possibly it could be a bit of burnout. So keep that in mind.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #133400 on: May 08, 2018, 03:05:02 am »

Vanilla is now more expensive per kilo than silver, at 500 euros/kg, after two consecutive failed harvests in Madagascar.
Some Dutch farmers are now trying to figure out how to best grow the vanilla orchid in greenhouses, with some success.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 03:07:34 am by martinuzz »
Optimists have just used up the last bit of hope. Run for your lives!

Enjoy the freedom to explore the limits of your constraints

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying summertime and subtext
    • View Profile
« Reply #133401 on: May 08, 2018, 03:26:42 am »

Meanwhile, more and more products use vanillin rather than vanilla. Let's hope people don't forget what actual vanilla tastes like, as has happened with bananas, strawberries and even tomatoes.
Raise the white flag and don't give up.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #133402 on: May 08, 2018, 03:36:47 am »

That depends if you make a difference between the original strawberries and strawberries or not. Smultron and jordgubbar are two completely different berries to Swedes.
Love, scriver~

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #133403 on: May 08, 2018, 03:59:33 am »

Without exception, domesticated strawberries taste abhorrent.  If you want real strawberry flavor the way it was meant to be tasted, you must eat the teeny tiny wild kind. Those are not a commercially viable crop because of fragility, spoilage, and cost of harvest. You have to grow them yourself, and the yields are small. 

They are totally worth it though.

Similar story with selectively bred domestic tomatoes.  If you want actual flavor, you need an ugly heirloom tomato. The kind with green stripes and ugly blobby apearance and all-- and it has to ripen on the vine.

Same story with domesticated blueberries.  The tiny birds eye size wild ones have such amazing flavor; the big domestic ones just taste like purple mush.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #133404 on: May 08, 2018, 04:36:25 am »

Dunno what kind of strawberries you guys have over there but the domesticated ones here are pretty damn good. The first few batches usually aren't that sweet but as they ripen more properly they become damn tasty little things.

Similarly for tomatoes, there's several varieties, most are generally fine but imo the beefheart one is probably the juiciest and tastiest of the bunch.

Also original banananana taste? You mean the nigh-inedible wild banananas? Or the banananana flavoring, which is actualy how an older, now nearly exticnt (yay for plant cloning and disease) breed tasted like. Producers mostly kept it like that because people were used to it, even tho bananananas today don't taste the same.

Edit:

Oh right, my wtf today. Got contacted by a company for a job. Now the WTF part is, I sent them an email about a potential interview a month ago, then we exchanged some emails trying to hash out how it'd happen, them saying they aren't always here or whatever and me saying it's not an issue of time they just gotta say when and where and I'll be there. That was the last of it, this morning I got a reply saying they couldn't contact me because I hadn't given them my phone number and that I should call to arrange an interview. This completely fine and I'll probably go just to see what's it about, but why wait a goddamn month for this :V
« Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 04:54:01 am by Jopax »
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying summertime and subtext
    • View Profile
« Reply #133405 on: May 08, 2018, 04:45:18 am »

"Strawberry flavour" tastes like neither wild nor cultivated strawberries. That's my point.
Raise the white flag and don't give up.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #133406 on: May 08, 2018, 04:55:30 am »

True, tho I was replying to wierd with that one, the point about bananananana flavor still stands tho, it's the actual flavor but of a different breed.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133407 on: May 08, 2018, 04:59:20 am »

It's not just me bro.

https://www.npr.org/2012/05/17/152944880/bigger-means-better-not-with-strawberries

Americans seem to be obsessed with larger sizes, but this has resulted in a tremendous loss of flavor profile for the berries.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #133408 on: May 08, 2018, 05:24:15 am »

Beefheart tastiest tomato? Y'all out yo damn minds, and I don't even like tomatoes.

I've had plenty of entirely palatable domesticated strawberries, but I absolutely agree that wild strawberries are on another level entirely. And I have no idea what artificial strawberry flavor is even supposed to taste like, because it certainly isn't strawberries. Same for watermelon flavor, but watermelon Jolly Ranchers are still the best.

Artificial banana flavor has never sat well with me either... Reminds me of epoxy resin. Somehow it surprises me that there used to be a banana with that flavor naturally, but nature be naturin'.

Also, while comparing vanilla to silver is fun, 1kg of vanilla is a hell of a lot more than 1kg of silver... Kinda the whole reason the spice trade was as popular as it was, since you could get more value out of smaller loads and save on space/weight.

Like, you don't need a bad harvest of saffron for it to be worth more per kilo than precious metals, but you need a hell of a lot more gold to make a dinner plate than you need saffron to make a dinner.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133409 on: May 08, 2018, 05:35:57 am »

I did not say beefheart specifically.  I said heirloom tomato.  There are all kinds of heirloom tomato.  These were not bred to be pretty. They were bred to be flavorful and productive.  They are often ugly as sin.

Spoiler: See these guys. (click to show/hide)

The reason why "Pretty tomatoes" taste awful is because the same genes that control uniform coloring, also control chlorophyll production in the fruit, and this reduces the sugar content that develops in the fruit. It also has been implicated in reduced production of flavinoids and other factors.

Heirloom tomatoes mostly have those genes intact, and so have richer and fuller flavor profiles.  They are just ugly.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 05:40:51 am by wierd »
Pages: 1 ... 8892 8893 [8894] 8895 8896 ... 9813