Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8895 8896 [8897] 8898 8899 ... 10983

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13182501 times)

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #133440 on: May 03, 2018, 06:43:56 pm »

Kind of want to throw some water on this conversation here.

I have a mild phobia of dogs. Very mild, I can usually deal with it and there are some dogs I almost halfway like, but I could see myself crossing to the other side of the road to avoid a strange dog, especially a larger (by which I not toy) one. I don't know one breed from another, except for a couple that people I know have had, so whatever breed stereotypes you might have won't come into it, and I'm not any fonder of a poodle than a pit bull. Soooooo, I think, maybe, just let people cross the road if they want to and don't dig any more into it?

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #133441 on: May 03, 2018, 06:47:31 pm »

It's certainly a possibility, albeit a slim one; most people don't have a mild phobia of dogs irrespective of their reputation, and so some other reason must be posited.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #133442 on: May 03, 2018, 06:48:22 pm »

@Maximum Spin
Oh, totally.  I'm pretty comfortable around big dogs on leashes (off leash, they're a serious hazard.  Particularly to bicyclists).
But my mom doesn't want to be near big dogs at all.  Having seen them *suddenly* attack my housemate's chihuaua-terrier from apparent calm, I understand that.  They're not always as easy to read as they seem.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #133443 on: May 03, 2018, 07:05:19 pm »

We have a German Shepherd. She loves nothing more than to gnaw on my arm like it's a chicken bone. Thankfully, she is quite gentle (considering how powerful that blasted dog is) and has been from the start.

People still cross to the other side of the road when they see her coming though, no joke, so let that be my WTF.
Maybe because German Shepards are used as guard dogs?  I know Rottweilers get a bad rap (including not getting adopted from shelters very often) because they're stereotypically mean guard dogs.
My mum has had two German Shepherds in my lifetime, both were cowardly cowards. /anecdotal evidence is best evidence
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #133444 on: May 03, 2018, 07:23:17 pm »

I like big dogs. They really seem less likely to attack than the tiny ones, because tiny dogs are bred to be immature idiots with zero chill. Uh, no offense.
Probably best to employ a policy of "ask before touching" with any dog. Touching a dog that you don't know when they're not ready for it will understandably freak it out.
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #133445 on: May 03, 2018, 07:36:20 pm »

That's all very true, yeah.  The most serious actual *attack* on my housemate's dog was another small dog, which bit and held.  Big dogs so far just tolerate or warn him away (with the exception of a certain pit bull, which...  really isn't a large dog, it just seems large due to extreme aggression).

I kinda misspoke.  Except that my mom is still more scared of large dogs, heh.
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133446 on: May 03, 2018, 07:54:15 pm »

Got dismissed from my shitty part time job. Not even a good reason just a single instance of someone complaining about stuff that had nothing to do with me and me getting the blame. Stupid at will employment, work your ass of but make the slightest mistake or perceived mistake and you don't get so much as chance to defend yourself. I was out of there soon anyway now that I have my degree. I just have six weeks of fieldschool training and job applications to send out. Internets been out for awhile now too making it had to do much. I am finally filling for my Canadian passport tomorrow though so its possible I end up working in Canada after all the paperwork is done.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133447 on: May 03, 2018, 07:56:07 pm »

Hah. Reminds me of our King Charles Spaniel dangling in a growling mass from our Collie's leg XD

He just turned around and looked at this ferocious little thing gnawing away at his leg, then looked back at us like "are you serious?"

Got dismissed from my shitty part time job. Not even a good reason just a single instance of someone complaining about stuff that had nothing to do with me and me getting the blame. Stupid at will employment, work your ass of but make the slightest mistake or perceived mistake and you don't get so much as chance to defend yourself. I was out of there soon anyway now that I have my degree. I just have six weeks of fieldschool training and job applications to send out. Internets been out for awhile now too making it had to do much. I am finally filling for my Canadian passport tomorrow though so its possible I end up working in Canada after all the paperwork is done.
On one hand, sorry to hear you lost the job. On the other hand, you don't have to go to work in the morning! Congratulations! :P
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #133448 on: May 03, 2018, 07:57:10 pm »

Power went out for a differing period of time across town yesterday. Was supposed to be my first day back to my summer job, too.

Was only out for a half hour for some people. My nan didn't have power until about midnight. Apparently the surge made a bunch of computers blow in the office across the street from her apartment.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133449 on: May 03, 2018, 08:03:12 pm »

Hah. Reminds me of our King Charles Spaniel dangling in a growling mass from our Collie's leg XD

He just turned around and looked at this ferocious little thing gnawing away at his leg, then looked back at us like "are you serious?"

On one hand, sorry to hear you lost the job. On the other hand, you don't have to go to work in the morning! Congratulations! :P
True, and now I'm in Canada and I got to eat dinner with my grandparents and have chocolate ice cream. It's not a huge loss, just annoying and pisses me off. I had like a dozen work days left at max anyway. I can get an actual good job soon. Archeological field tech. Way better then carrying heavy things for low pay.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133450 on: May 03, 2018, 08:05:11 pm »

Hey, wish it were me. I no longer do the night shift, but it's still just carrying things and trying to talk to oft-inane colleagues.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #133451 on: May 03, 2018, 08:33:39 pm »

I feel weirdly happy and I dunno why.
Kind of like one of those weird manic moments where I have too much energy and get super excited about how great everything is, but in this case without any actual, concrete reasons to be happy so the surge just sort of fizzles into this vague, directionless glee, bathing the grim surroundings of my psyche in weak-but-cheerful yellow light.   

Or maybe it's just how good this book is? Who knows. I doubt I'll be doing much but reading today. Hopefully I can persuade myself to go make some food in the near future, though. I'm pretty much out of low-effort ingredients, unless you count the noodles that I usually cook up along with beans, greens and tofu to make an actual, decently nutritious meal. I suppose I could snack on a packet of those and then cook something more substantial later on when I get tired of reading or (more likely) finish my book...

It occurs to me that I am rambling. I really ought to start keeping my diary again, rather than inflicting this sort of meaningless babble on the WTF thread. ^~^;   

You know, I just recalled a dream from last night where I was in my car, and the brakes barely worked, so I was constantly at risk of crashing.

Then that seemed to trigger memories of other dreams with similar situations. Apparently I have a subconscious fear of my brakes failing and me crashing the car... or something.
I had a dream last night where one character (who I think I played the role of, at least in some parts) failed miserably in a boxing ring. Twice. The rest of the dream seemed fairly cheerful from the vague impression I remember, and I don't think my performance in the fights really mattered at all, but still, it was kind of distressing.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #133452 on: May 03, 2018, 08:35:41 pm »

You know, I just recalled a dream from last night where I was in my car, and the brakes barely worked, so I was constantly at risk of crashing.

Then that seemed to trigger memories of other dreams with similar situations. Apparently I have a subconscious fear of my brakes failing and me crashing the car... or something.
That's one of those common dreams, actually.  I usually dream that I'm drifting off at the wheel, but same idea.  It has been the brakes for me too, and yeah it's not absolute.  They almost work.  But then you're sliding into another car, and there's all the horror of having a whole *incident* instead of a boring transit...

I think the typical interpretation is that your subconscious is concerned about your control over your life.  Super normal, nowadays.
She/they

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #133453 on: May 03, 2018, 08:41:44 pm »

It occurs to me that I am rambling. I really ought to start keeping my diary again, rather than inflicting this sort of meaningless babble on the WTF thread. ^~^;
Fear not! You can write in both
But yes, Diary is good. Support much.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #133454 on: May 04, 2018, 02:10:04 am »

There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.
Pages: 1 ... 8895 8896 [8897] 8898 8899 ... 10983