Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8898 8899 [8900] 8901 8902 ... 10974

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13006842 times)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #133485 on: May 04, 2018, 10:38:48 pm »

The remake wasn't bad. There were a couple of questionable changes (or, rather, perfectly reasonable changes that became questionable when combined), but it was faithful enough to the spirit of the original work. Of course, Part 2 isn't out yet, so we haven't seen the entire movie.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #133486 on: May 04, 2018, 10:47:31 pm »

Reading about Phineas Gage, the guy who had a spike go through his brain and live. Brutal.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #133487 on: May 04, 2018, 11:11:16 pm »

It also made him into a raging belligerent asshole. Just so you know.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #133488 on: May 04, 2018, 11:18:00 pm »

It also made him into a raging belligerent asshole. Just so you know.
The wikipedia article seems to contradict that. Mostly it says that it's unclear whether he was actually like that or if it was embellished onto the story after his death. After he recovered enough to walk around and return to work he supposedly worked as a carriage driver and eventually made a recovery of "social and personal skills".

But hey, it's wikipedia and the guy is long dead and no one would ever want to put a spike through their brain for science, so we're really just nitpicking.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #133489 on: May 04, 2018, 11:24:07 pm »

Truthfully I don't know how much brain damage can be directly blamed for that, and how much of it is just a natural psychological reaction to major trauma and the indignity inherent in being a medical curiosity.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133490 on: May 04, 2018, 11:32:02 pm »

And the fungal infection, silver nitrate application, the fluid buildup...really, enough happened to his brain to make it hard to figure out what did what to him even before considering the psychological parts.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #133491 on: May 05, 2018, 03:35:21 am »

He's the reason steel bars and coils are measured in "Gages". The Gage rating of a metal bar is the number of skulls the bar can pierce through at terminal velocity.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #133492 on: May 05, 2018, 03:55:06 am »

I'm not too engaged to this conversation topic
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #133493 on: May 05, 2018, 04:24:13 am »

I think the main reason the old IT is considered a classic is because Tim Curry Personality Cult (which is a perfectly fine thing). Haven't actually gotten around to seeing the new one yet, but I heard it floats.

But yes, converting Stephen King books to film has always been a tricky affair... Apparently they even made a movie out of Gerald's Game, and I have no idea how you're supposed to make a feature length film about one person's internal monologue and somehow not cock it up royally.

I've heard that Desperation was pretty bad too, which at least is faithful to the book.

RE: Pentecostals... hot damn. That is some seriously scary shit. Are any lawsuits getting filed against her for the attack? I mean, personal lawsuits, since the university didn't push charges.

The bust attack at the end there made me remember that funny little story about the Satanic lawn gargoyle, which at least was a cheerful note to end on... provided you ignore the reality of the situation.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #133494 on: May 05, 2018, 07:27:00 am »

(I don't actually know what Pentecostals are. In my mind-world the protestants are pretty much made up of "actual religions" and "new-religious" churches.)
Love, scriver~

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #133495 on: May 05, 2018, 07:48:08 am »

Riding to work with my wife, saw smoke in the distance. Is work on fire?

No, it’s a massive cloud of insects stretching for about a mile. Lovely.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #133496 on: May 05, 2018, 08:06:07 am »

(I don't actually know what Pentecostals are. In my mind-world the protestants are pretty much made up of "actual religions" and "new-religious" churches.)

Something something fifth day something spirit of God something different Christian sect something.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133497 on: May 05, 2018, 08:06:19 am »

What kind?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #133498 on: May 05, 2018, 08:33:13 am »

Looking them up in wikipedia it's obvious who they are though - I just didn't know that Pentecost was the name of the holiday it is the name of in English. In Swedish the holiday is called "Pingst", and the church is subsequently called "Pingströrelsen" or "Pingstkyrkan" ("The Pentecostal Movement" or "The Pentecostal Church" respectively). So it was pretty much just my own failure to translate the name.

Look dude I know your wife bugs you a lot but that's just disrespectful
Love, scriver~

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133499 on: May 05, 2018, 08:51:38 am »

So far, the one (major) advantage the human brain has over machine processors afaik is that it takes absurd amounts of abuse and keeps functioning, just sort of sliding responsibilities to other parts of the brain, and no, I don't consider sapience/sentience one of the brain's advantage's because that's a matter of programming of the robot, not of the processor itself
Pages: 1 ... 8898 8899 [8900] 8901 8902 ... 10974