Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8917 8918 [8919] 8920 8921 ... 10980

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13150137 times)

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #133770 on: May 13, 2018, 11:38:20 pm »

TL;DR, If you are too stupid to protect yourself, it is not my job to do it for you (unless you are paying me to do so of course).
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #133771 on: May 13, 2018, 11:39:48 pm »

Incorrect.

TL;DR

There is a difference between physical mental infirmity, and willful stupidity.  The first deserves and warrants protection, because the people afflicted truly are incapable of protecting themselves. The latter does not deserve or warrant such protection, because they are perfectly capable, just unwilling, to protect themselves.

It is completely wrong to conflate the two.

At no point was money mentioned. (Caregivers are often unpaid. Family members, etc.)

Compare:

Random nursing home decides that "African safari ride" would be a great enrichment activity for their alzhimer's dementia patients. Horrible deaths ensue as residents leave the caravan looking for long dead spouses, long since grown children, or their car-- and care givers likewise get horribly injured trying to save the patients from wild animals intent on eating the infirm people who insist that they have to do whatever it is they are doing.

VS

Loud, annoying people who have their own kids and have full self-employment and are legally responsible for themselves suddenly deciding that the warning the safari guide gave them about being mauled to death by wild animals does not apply to them, and that it is PERFECTLY SAFE for them to go try and take selfies with wild lions, and fully expecting the safari guide to somehow be able to "control" wild animals, or protect them from being eaten alive by wild lions when they leave the safety of the vehicle.

As you can see, these are totally different things. 
« Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 11:51:34 pm by wierd »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #133772 on: May 14, 2018, 02:38:14 am »

I feel that the guys who filmed it while whispering and snickering to each other instead of attempting to warn the other family or tell them to get back in the car is the most deserving of Darwin Awards in this situation.
Love, scriver~

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #133773 on: May 14, 2018, 02:46:19 am »

TL;DR, If you are too stupid to protect yourself, it is not my job to do it for you (unless you are paying me to do so of course).
Is that a quote from Trump, on NATO?
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #133774 on: May 14, 2018, 02:56:53 am »

If it is, then I agree with him.

EDIT: Just to be clear, it is not a quote.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 03:06:13 am by milo christiansen »
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #133775 on: May 14, 2018, 03:29:50 am »

The real question is: Who will be eaten first?
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133776 on: May 14, 2018, 03:51:25 am »

LOLOLOL.

Good old Jack Chick.  His tracts survive him in life, the memes will endure forever.
(The sad part is that the tracts are so cringeworthy WTF in and of themselves, they are basically physical manifestations of Poe's Law.)

There was one where he rails about "Hipocrites, liars, unbelievers..." etc..  The paleontologist with the dinosaur bone looks just like my friend in Missouri. LOL. (Who also happens to be a paleontology buff.)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #133777 on: May 14, 2018, 04:05:53 am »

Who's Jesus?

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133778 on: May 14, 2018, 04:07:33 am »

Who isn't Jesus?
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #133779 on: May 14, 2018, 04:41:19 am »

I used to be Jesus but I got tired of all the fanbois, so now I am The Artist Formerly Known As Jesus.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #133780 on: May 14, 2018, 04:55:53 am »

(The sad part is that the tracts are so cringeworthy WTF in and of themselves, they are basically physical manifestations of Poe's Law.)
Fun fact: Chick has said that his favourite form of humour is Poe-evoking satire. I'm waiting for him confess to being the most brilliant troll ever on his deathbed. Then again, he's made his cartoons for decades, so at this point I'd give even odds to 'brilliant troll' and 'genuinely crazy'.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #133781 on: May 14, 2018, 05:08:35 am »

Fun fact: Chick has said that his favourite form of humour is Poe-evoking satire. I'm waiting for him confess to being the most brilliant troll ever on his deathbed. Then again, he's made his cartoons for decades, so at this point I'd give even odds to 'brilliant troll' and 'genuinely crazy'.

Hate to be the one to tell you, but Jack Chick's fuckin' dead already

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #133782 on: May 14, 2018, 05:16:10 am »

I mean, a lot of famous people died in 2016. I can't keep track of every single one.

I guess we'll have to default to 'genuinely crazy'.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 05:17:41 am by IcyTea31 »
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133783 on: May 14, 2018, 05:32:34 am »

Is there a citation for the Chick / Poe's law connection?

I mean, the guy was pretty old when he died, 92 years old, and he wasn't a person known for giving interviews, not having apparently conducted one since about 1975.

Also, Poe's law was only coined on a forum back in 2005. It would have taken a while for that to become mainstream enough for Jack Chick to use it, so it seems like a pretty narrow window in which he could have uttered that. So we would have had Jack Chick in his late 80s picking up the term Poe's law from the far-reaches of the internet, and having that statement repeated ... it seems unlikely.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 05:34:28 am by Reelya »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133784 on: May 14, 2018, 05:35:02 am »

I used to be Jesus but I got tired of all the fanbois, so now I am The Artist Formerly Known As Jesus.

FOOLS!

Jesus is divinely delicious! He was Fried for our Sins!
By his stripes, we are sated!
Spoiler: BEHOLD! (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 05:40:48 am by wierd »
Pages: 1 ... 8917 8918 [8919] 8920 8921 ... 10980