Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8936 8937 [8938] 8939 8940 ... 10984

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13190954 times)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #134055 on: May 23, 2018, 04:05:04 pm »

Stepdad decided to replace the electric stove with a gas stove. Great.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #134056 on: May 23, 2018, 04:14:23 pm »

It's because the electric stove was screwin' with his cable channels, dammit! You should've done something about that earlier!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #134057 on: May 23, 2018, 04:14:48 pm »

Burnin' down the house~

... y'all do have fire insurance, right?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #134058 on: May 23, 2018, 04:20:33 pm »

Is gas so much more expensive over where you live? Over here, that would be a good thing for your bills, gas being cheaper than electricity. Then again, I live in a country that had a huuuuuge natural gas reservoir.
That being said, our government wants to get rid of all gas heating and cooking, because CO2. Doesn't make any sense though, the increase in electricity demand will need to be met by building more coal plants :p.
It's just a hoax to provide work for the central heating and electric cooking plate companies as it stands now. If they really cared about CO2, they'd transition to green and/or nuclear energy before getting rid of the gas.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134059 on: May 23, 2018, 04:25:07 pm »

Since when did the Netherlands have a huge natural gas reservoir?

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134060 on: May 23, 2018, 04:40:36 pm »

It's not even hooked up. He simply unplugged the electric stove AND the microwave, and moved the gas stove over. Oh, and the gas stove is missing two of the knobs for controls. And it may be the type you have to use a match or other spark to light it(I really hope it doesn't have a pilot light). I'm also concerned about fumes - he has it (and had the old one) pulled out a bit away from the vent above in order to check the area behind it for mice.

As for the cost, gas seems to have a lower overall running cost, it's only a slight difference(and I don't know the exact cost for Long Island) you have to deal with the extra logistics of gas supply as well as a larger fire hazard. Electricity can also reach higher temperatures than gas(odd, I thought the other way around) and while gas is faster to heat up(the secret of its lower cost), you have more control and stability of heat with electric.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #134061 on: May 23, 2018, 04:58:38 pm »

As for the cost, gas seems to have a lower overall running cost, it's only a slight difference(and I don't know the exact cost for Long Island) you have to deal with the extra logistics of gas supply as well as a larger fire hazard. Electricity can also reach higher temperatures than gas(odd, I thought the other way around) and while gas is faster to heat up(the secret of its lower cost), you have more control and stability of heat with electric.

I think probably a big difference nowadays that conflicts with what we used to think about electric stoves, is that thum thar fancy new induction stovetops are lumped under "electric" along with the old coil models. Much more efficient, and I can definitely see an induction top competing with or even surpassing a gas flame in heating an appropriate container. Coils... Maybe not so much.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #134062 on: May 23, 2018, 05:12:03 pm »

Having used both, cooking with an electric stove is very different than cooking with a gas one. The temperature control on a gas stove is much more.. Hm... fine?

Likely this is not really his reasoning.  The guy sounds like either a spoiled manchild, or a sociopath. (Everything needs to suit *HIS* tastes and preferences, the pre-existing ones of the family unit he is trying to integrate into do not count! *HE* is the most important one! The ONLY ONE THAT COUNTS!-- etc.) He probably grew up with a gas stove, and does not "Feel home" using an electric one. 

Regardless, not all kitchens, especially in modern homes, are equipped with a gas line there. 

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134063 on: May 23, 2018, 05:15:51 pm »

Having used both, cooking with an electric stove is very different than cooking with a gas one. The temperature control on a gas stove is much more.. Hm... fine?

Likely this is not really his reasoning.  The guy sounds like either a spoiled manchild, or a sociopath. (Everything needs to suit *HIS* tastes and preferences, the pre-existing ones of the family unit he is trying to integrate into do not count! *HE* is the most important one! The ONLY ONE THAT COUNTS!-- etc.) He probably grew up with a gas stove, and does not "Feel home" using an electric one. 

Regardless, not all kitchens, especially in modern homes, are equipped with a gas line there. 

Or he’s just plain nuts and no reason he gives will ever make sense.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • Hero Saga Setup: 96%. Other stuff Paused.
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #134064 on: May 23, 2018, 09:58:31 pm »

Woke up from nap. Heard weird stomach sounds. Had my water bottle and thought that drinking would take care of it. Just made them stranger.

Remembered I fell asleep while listening to asmr whispers on my phone.
Awesome With Autism
Currently listening to: Goldeneye Menu

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134065 on: May 23, 2018, 11:05:24 pm »

https://www.npr.org/sections/parallels/2018/05/23/613335232/divorce-is-prohibited-in-the-philippines-but-moves-are-underway-to-legalize-it

They are seriously the only country? Vatican doesn't really count. They are not supposed to be married in the first place.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134066 on: May 23, 2018, 11:19:39 pm »

It used to be that you needed the Popes approval for a divorce, for royals anyway, and some religions have their rules surrounding divorce, but straight up legal prohibition? I knew the Vatican technically has that because popes arent supposed to be married (though they were in the past), but I had no idea that any country prohibited it secularily. 

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #134067 on: May 24, 2018, 12:57:07 pm »

My house rumbled, and a black haze whirled down my stairs, followed by a black and white haze and a brown and yellow flash.
Looks like there's a new cat in the hood that didn't learn to not enter my house yet. My cats are quite territorial indoors.  :D
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #134068 on: May 24, 2018, 04:04:07 pm »

See, i would worry more about the haziness of said kitties.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #134069 on: May 24, 2018, 04:41:08 pm »

See, i would worry more about the haziness of said kitties.
Cats are liquid at 300k and 1 at, but when sufficiently agitated by external factors can temporarily phasechange into their gaseous state. It's perfectly normal.
Pages: 1 ... 8936 8937 [8938] 8939 8940 ... 10984