Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8941 8942 [8943] 8944 8945 ... 10974

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13006134 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #134130 on: May 28, 2018, 08:50:45 am »

Hotdamn, my garden thermometer measures 37C. And it's not even in the sunlight. Make that 42C in the sun.
Average temperature for may in the Netherlands is 18C. For June, 21C.
We've had nearly two weeks of 25C+ and a few days of 30C+ now, but today it's just crazy.
Must be said that my hometown Eindhoven always is the warmest spot in the country for some reason, but still.

I need an ice machine.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #134131 on: May 28, 2018, 08:52:24 am »

None of us staff actually feels anything though.

The reports all come from residents, who more often than not, are not capable of remembering the topic of conversation long enough to finish a sentence, let alone produce a complex and rich shared narrative about ghost children. 

Martinuzz:
Sounds like a typical summer where I am from. It routinely gets over 103F in the summer.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134132 on: May 28, 2018, 08:55:00 am »

Though, I edited in a bit that points out that the fields in question are 1/100th the strength of a typical cathode ray TV. So even a low voltage field can cause this. Also remember that the residents are spending all their time in there, not moving much so they're being affected constantly by whatever electrical fields are there, whereas staff are moving around meaning that any variations in field are just being canceled out. e.g. note the girl who though a ghost baby was near her pillow because of an electric clock near her head putting out a constant pulse while she slept.

What I'd check if it's a common thing there, is if there's any one piece of electrical equipment that's common to every room. Especially if it's located in the same position relative to where each resident sits / sleeps etc. e.g. ask them where they were when they saw this, see if there's some particular electrical item which happens to be near their head when it happens :/
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 09:02:29 am by Reelya »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #134133 on: May 28, 2018, 08:58:11 am »

Hotdamn, my garden thermometer measures 37C. And it's not even in the sunlight. Make that 42C in the sun.
We've had nearly two weeks of 25C+ and a few days of 30C+ now, but today it's just crazy.
Must be said that my hometown Eindhoven always is the warmest spot in the country for some reason, but still.

I need an ice machine.
Incidentally, if you have ice, a bowl of water and however much ice you can spare sitting in front of wherever the incoming air flow for a room is can do wonders. Put it in front of a fan and the cooling effectiveness goes way up. Good stuff when it's too hot for comfort and you have limited AC access for whatever reason.

Want to say just a bowl of water can help out, too, just not as much. Might depend on how fast it's evaporating... just making a room more humid doesn't tend to make things better.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134134 on: May 28, 2018, 08:59:57 am »

I can say with good authority that hot + humid == BAD JUJU.

I am still somewhat perplexed how refrigerators in much of europe often lack freezers (or at least, I have this alluded to.) I mean, you use the freezer for more than just making ice.

Ice-trays are not that expensive. (Is reminded of the lethal heatwave that hit france about a decade or so ago. If people were dieing of heat prostration because they dont have AC, because they rarely would ever use it-- they could still have had ice to make cold drinks, or to put in the bathtub to perform emergency body temperature reductions. Since it routinely gets that hot where I am from, such tricks are common if I have to work in the sun for any long period of time; Put my feet in icewater more than once to quickly normalize after initial heat stroke symptoms.)
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 09:04:56 am by wierd »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #134135 on: May 28, 2018, 09:04:35 am »

Heh, my newspaper says this may is about to become the warmest may in 3 centuries.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #134136 on: May 28, 2018, 10:04:07 am »

The reports all come from residents, who more often than not, are not capable of remembering the topic of conversation long enough to finish a sentence, let alone produce a complex and rich shared narrative about ghost children. 
The residents may not be able to spread a narrative, wierd, but the staff can, and probably is, propagating it just fine. Do check for any electrical equipment near their beds/favorite spots that could be triggering the ghost visions.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134137 on: May 28, 2018, 10:08:08 am »

Considering that the facility has (in its infinite wisdom) gone away from the perfectly useful encrypted walkie-talkie system for alerting about call lights to the android phone based alerter app framework (which is far inferior), everyone is now walking around with a handy magnetometer. (with gps!)

If I were more unscrupulous, I would start surreptitiously sideloading a data collection app on people's phones.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #134138 on: May 28, 2018, 10:08:15 am »

Also, burn and salt any corpses you find on the way. Makes Sam and Dean's job easier.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #134139 on: May 28, 2018, 10:09:52 am »

I need an ice machine.
Norway has been hitting 29 degrees and bright sunshine (there was actually a warning put out for "extra strong UV radiation"), Norwegians are going full-on summer mode en masse. We figure we've earned it after the shitty winter and the 5 days of summer we got last year.

Though, I edited in a bit that points out that the fields in question are 1/100th the strength of a typical cathode ray TV. So even a low voltage field can cause this. Also remember that the residents are spending all their time in there, not moving much so they're being affected constantly by whatever electrical fields are there, whereas staff are moving around meaning that any variations in field are just being canceled out. e.g. note the girl who though a ghost baby was near her pillow because of an electric clock near her head putting out a constant pulse while she slept.

What I'd check if it's a common thing there, is if there's any one piece of electrical equipment that's common to every room. Especially if it's located in the same position relative to where each resident sits / sleeps etc. e.g. ask them where they were when they saw this, see if there's some particular electrical item which happens to be near their head when it happens :/
Wasn't this an episode of House or something? Some cat that would hang around the terminal patients before their death... Turned out the cat just enjoyed the warmth from the electric blankets those patients were given, due to their metabolism getting fucked and not being able to heat themselves properly.

Also, burn and salt any corpses you find on the way. Makes Sam and Dean's job easier.
And this, children, is how jerky is made.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134140 on: May 28, 2018, 10:12:05 am »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134141 on: May 28, 2018, 10:14:04 am »

The residents may not be able to spread a narrative, wierd, but the staff can, and probably is, propagating it just fine. Do check for any electrical equipment near their beds/favorite spots that could be triggering the ghost visions.

Given how widespread it is, the equipment would have to be common to all of those rooms.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134142 on: May 28, 2018, 10:22:12 am »

Aside from electrical outlets themselves, there really isn't anything.

The latest person to report seeing the ghost children has no electronic/electrical devices in the room at all, aside from the lights.
It cant be the in-room climate controlled heater/cooler units, since people in the oldest wing (which uses a radiator!) have also reported the ghost children.

Now, the whole building kinda does have janky outlets. People are just plain stupid, and lower the beds on the outlet covers and crush the bejezus out of them all the damn time. Because we never know what kind of resident (or their needs) will come through our doors when we have a vacancy, the rooms have quite a few outlets so that things like oxygen concentrators and the like can be plugged in. I would not be surprised if the wiring itself is leaking EMI all over the damn place.

Again, smartphones typically carry a magentometer inside them, as it is used against the earth's nascent magnetic field for deriving the bearing of the phone carrier for GPS navigation.  It can also give useful raw magnetic environmental data, with the right application. If I were a douchebag, I would surreptitiously sideload such an app on everyone's phone.

I suppose I could just find a suitable app and load it on my own phone, along with GPS tracking, and use it to get a picture of the magnetic anomalies in the building over time, since I too am all over the place. It would just take longer.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 10:26:54 am by wierd »

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #134143 on: May 28, 2018, 10:26:30 am »

Why are these names familiar?
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #134144 on: May 28, 2018, 10:30:35 am »

Why are these names familiar?
I know right? It's downright... Supernatural.
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses
Pages: 1 ... 8941 8942 [8943] 8944 8945 ... 10974