Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8942 8943 [8944] 8945 8946 ... 9860

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 5979389 times)

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #134145 on: May 30, 2018, 11:16:14 pm »

Just kidding.
My mods.
Minimalism and Milk:I,II,III.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #134146 on: May 30, 2018, 11:19:21 pm »

Bay12 forums.

About the only place on the internet where Godwins law can be invoked as a joke, and not cause a flamewar!

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #134147 on: May 30, 2018, 11:31:57 pm »

[quietly burns in background]
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • The first mankind, all over the world!
    • View Profile
« Reply #134148 on: May 31, 2018, 12:10:15 am »

In my opinion, the only reason this thread has not devolved into a flame war is because everybody who would have started one has been banned already
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. Send me a message on Discord (Tawa#3930) if you need to get in touch with me.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #134149 on: May 31, 2018, 12:16:29 am »

I think part of it is that the forum over-represents people with more developed reasoning abilities, that are less likely to resort to ad-hominems and baseless accusations as if they were arguments.

That is to say, the population here has a genuine desire to know and understand things not normally represented in other internet communities, and the genuine desire results in more constructive dialog when there is a conflict of agreement. When confronted with a dissenting view, we tend to want to know WHY the person has it.

no.

scource:your hitler.

Say what?  Is this a purposeful Godwin or what?

Do you have a pet one or something?
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #134150 on: May 31, 2018, 12:41:57 am »

I think part of it is that the forum over-represents people with more developed reasoning abilities, that are less likely to resort to ad-hominems and baseless accusations as if they were arguments.

That is to say, the population here has a genuine desire to know and understand things not normally represented in other internet communities, and the genuine desire results in more constructive dialog when there is a conflict of agreement. When confronted with a dissenting view, we tend to want to know WHY the person has it.
There's also the fact that most of the forum leans toward the liberal. You could argue that big fights happen less because people generally agree on the main points and only debate the lesser facets of them. You could also argue that liberals are more likely to want to hear about the opposing viewpoint, so it all goes down to a chicken-or-egg dilemma. Another thing forumgoers have in common is playing Dwarf Fortress, a game with a notoriously steep learning curve, so people are clearly willing to learn and seek knowledge. This is conjecture, of course.
Raise the white flag and don't give up.

Sentient Bowtie

• Bay Watcher
  • ...For that is your fate. The fate of the cursed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #134151 on: May 31, 2018, 12:43:14 am »

you're conjecture
So far two babies have been born as a result from all the close action in the barracks.
You can't fuck a cartoon because cartoons are in two dimensions and you'd slice your dick off due to having touched the incredibly slight area of contact with any amount of force.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #134152 on: May 31, 2018, 12:49:19 am »

Cogito, ergo sum. I definitely exist...or wait... it's a circular argument, isn't it? Sum, ergo cogito? *vanishes in a puff of logic*
Raise the white flag and don't give up.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #134153 on: May 31, 2018, 01:03:32 am »

New WTF: one of my favourite GMs turns out to be... kind of a massive twat. :'(

You think you know a person and then they just turn around and get all problematic on ya. :D

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #134154 on: May 31, 2018, 02:12:12 am »

There's also the fact that most of the forum leans toward the liberal. You could argue that big fights happen less because people generally agree on the main points and only debate the lesser facets of them. You could also argue that liberals are more likely to want to hear about the opposing viewpoint, so it all goes down to a chicken-or-egg dilemma. Another thing forumgoers have in common is playing Dwarf Fortress, a game with a notoriously steep learning curve, so people are clearly willing to learn and seek knowledge. This is conjecture, of course.

We don't bother with ad hominem arguments; your face does that to itself. :P
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #134155 on: May 31, 2018, 02:19:59 am »

I can be pretty too, god damnit!

*Sobs!*

(lolol, that's about the least effective insult to attempt on me. I dont care to be attractive, because I am not trying to attract a mate. Like-- AT ALL.)

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #134156 on: May 31, 2018, 02:38:40 am »

In my opinion, the only reason this thread has not devolved into a flame war is because everybody who would have started one has been banned already
Strict moderation + low influx of new people = quiet and civilized forum.

I can be pretty too, god damnit!

*Sobs!*

(lolol, that's about the least effective insult to attempt on me. I dont care to be attractive, because I am not trying to attract a mate. Like-- AT ALL.)
Same. I trip people up with that a lot. I fought many 10-year-olds on Reddit.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 02:41:18 am by KittyTac »
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Did you know that cats that have mysteriously disappeared from home can come back after a few months without warning?

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134157 on: May 31, 2018, 03:45:37 am »

This might be anecdotal on my part, but I think the internet as a whole might be getting more mature and intelligent on average. There's quite a lot of good Youtube comments sections for example, though I'm sure I'll be doubly proven wrong.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #134158 on: May 31, 2018, 04:27:39 am »

Maybe that process will be even faster if most forums would start banning immature people en masse. The internet will be pure at least. Outside of dedicated child sites, of course.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Did you know that cats that have mysteriously disappeared from home can come back after a few months without warning?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #134159 on: May 31, 2018, 06:42:41 am »

This might be anecdotal on my part, but I think the internet as a whole might be getting more mature and intelligent on average. There's quite a lot of good Youtube comments sections for example, though I'm sure I'll be doubly proven wrong.
I think it's more just that we've gotten more used to it. Folks who have been using the internet long enough to remember what it was like in the "bad old days" have adapted to suit the monster. It's a combination of our changing into personalities that are more comfortable with the shit, and automatically filtering out the other shit that we don't want to deal with.

Also, Bay12 may have a lower incidence rate of flame wars, but holy hell do we have a lot of smugness and feelings of superiority... It's not quite SA, but still.
Pages: 1 ... 8942 8943 [8944] 8945 8946 ... 9860