Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8942 8943 [8944] 8945 8946 ... 10983

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13166670 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #134145 on: May 28, 2018, 10:33:18 am »

Supernatural, apparently. TV series. Never watched any of it, but after a mo' I recognized it from the fairly massive amount of slash smut that exists of 'em. Swear it's near as hard to avoid those two as it is naru/saku stuff when browsing naruto fanfiction, some days.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #134146 on: May 28, 2018, 10:35:35 am »

It has been my experience that 99% of fanfic is just gay love fantasies about the protagonists of whatever story the fanfic is based on. No idea why.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134147 on: May 28, 2018, 10:39:01 am »

Pretty wierd how electromagnetic anomalies and fields can screw with the brain like that. Though I suppose it’s not too wierd since neurons effectively use electric impulses and those are affected by magnetic fields.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #134148 on: May 28, 2018, 10:49:12 am »

It has been my experience that 99% of fanfic is just gay love fantasies about the protagonists of whatever story the fanfic is based on. No idea why.
Because slashfic is the low-effort equivalent of a nude mod, and apparently everyone loves a good yaoi.

Or just because of shock value, as was the case with Jesus Harry Potter Christ ejaculating into Dobby's throbbing orifices while revving his laser chainsaw.

Fun fact: The word "Ejaculated" was actually used in a Harry Potter book. Orifices were involved. Laser chainsaws were not.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134149 on: May 28, 2018, 10:50:37 am »

Pretty wierd how electromagnetic anomalies and fields can screw with the brain like that. Though I suppose it’s not too wierd since neurons effectively use electric impulses and those are affected by magnetic fields.

I before E when you are referring to ME.
E before I when you describe that guy. :P

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #134150 on: May 28, 2018, 10:51:01 am »

Because slashfic is the low-effort equivalent of a nude mod, and apparently everyone loves a good yaoi.

Or just because of shock value, as was the case with Jesus Harry Potter Christ ejaculating into Dobby's throbbing orifices while revving his laser chainsaw.

Fun fact: The word "Ejaculated" was actually used in a Harry Potter book. Orifices were involved. Laser chainsaws were not.

Slughorn ejaculated
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #134151 on: May 28, 2018, 10:51:49 am »

It's not 99% (I'd probably wager it's less than a plurality at the end of the day, if possibly barely, but it's been a while since I last checked the actual numbers and varies with fandom regardless) but there's definitely a shitload of it.

Least in part it seems to be demographics. A fair bit of the fanfic writing community is young and female, to much appearances as titillated by homosexual shenanigans of their preferred cake as anyone, and for various reasons somewhat inclined towards strongly character based junk. Basically you have a sizeable chunk of the writers enjoying the material, so lots of it gets written.

... though if you're using gay as gender neutral rather than male inclined, it holds fairly true for fandoms with primarily female protagonists, too. Ultimately plenty of folks just like sexually charged homosexual material, even if they're not personally homosexual.
Ask not!
Ask!

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134152 on: May 28, 2018, 10:58:46 am »

I did actually mean it in the neutral sense.  There are plenty of "magical girl" fanfics out there that just get overboard on lesbian action, even when the protagonists are quite clearly straight.

It has always kinda bothered me that fanfic writers just cant accept a straight character for some reason. It seems that the more obviously they are straight, the more they try to write them into gay love scenes.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #134153 on: May 28, 2018, 11:06:20 am »

They do accept straight characters as straight, though, and plenty often. Least if by accept you mean recognize that as the original writer's intent.

... folks just also like to see if they can contrive a situation where they're not, or say to hell with it and ship things anyway for fun. Something like half the point of fanfiction is to screw with canon, after all.
Ask not!
Ask!

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134154 on: May 28, 2018, 11:40:51 am »

Most of that stuff is written by girls. I think it's a fairly universal thing and didn't arise in any one place. e.g. I can count at least three origins for that sort of thing

there were gay romance novels written by women at least from the 1970s, as well as 1970s Trekkie slashfic spread in fanzines, and 1970s Japanese BL manga. All of which was well before the internet so they probably never heard of each other's work. If the same thing arises multiple times in different cultures but ends up being pretty similar (e.g. BL doujinshi stuff is pretty similar to slashfic stuff) then there's probably something deeper to it.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 11:49:58 am by Reelya »

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134155 on: May 28, 2018, 12:05:13 pm »

I got change out of a vending machine, it dispensed a Millard Fillmore gold dollar... I had no idea this forgettable president got his own coin.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134156 on: May 28, 2018, 12:36:52 pm »

Most of that stuff is written by girls. I think it's a fairly universal thing and didn't arise in any one place. e.g. I can count at least three origins for that sort of thing

there were gay romance novels written by women at least from the 1970s, as well as 1970s Trekkie slashfic spread in fanzines, and 1970s Japanese BL manga. All of which was well before the internet so they probably never heard of each other's work. If the same thing arises multiple times in different cultures but ends up being pretty similar (e.g. BL doujinshi stuff is pretty similar to slashfic stuff) then there's probably something deeper to it.

I think it's an evolutionary thing, there's a few animals which exhibit what I can best describe as a fetish for homosexual behaviour, either males being attracted to two females having intercourse which I recall reading about in goats, or females being attracted to two males having intercourse as in ruffs.

Makes sense to me that humans would exhibit similar behaviours occasionally.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134157 on: May 28, 2018, 01:02:37 pm »

I think it's an evolutionary thing, there's a few animals which exhibit what I can best describe as a fetish for homosexual behaviour, either males being attracted to two females having intercourse which I recall reading about in goats, or females being attracted to two males having intercourse as in ruffs.

I'm not sure what survival advantage that gives over not having that, any ideas?

And now, a rant about fanfiction shipping

People seriously need to stop, why would you ship these two characters who A. have sexualities in canon that don't work, the first one thinks the second is a horrible monster, correctly I might add, and the second tried to KILL not just the first, but all the firsts friends and family, AND the firsts entire way of life, to take their land, and the second probably never heard of the first, and the second is A. Insane B. Probably incapable of love, and C. may or may not have been neutered (yes, these are cats)  seriously guys PLEASE STOP

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #134158 on: May 28, 2018, 01:11:06 pm »

There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134159 on: May 28, 2018, 01:13:02 pm »

I'm not sure what survival advantage that gives over not having that, any ideas?

And now, a rant about fanfiction shipping

People seriously need to stop, why would you ship these two characters who A. have sexualities in canon that don't work, the first one thinks the second is a horrible monster, correctly I might add, and the second tried to KILL not just the first, but all the firsts friends and family, AND the firsts entire way of life, to take their land, and the second probably never heard of the first, and the second is A. Insane B. Probably incapable of love, and C. may or may not have been neutered (yes, these are cats)  seriously guys PLEASE STOP

The same reason any fan-fiction gets written.

"WISH FULFILLMENT"

There are some (very few in my experience) creators of fan fiction that take great care to answer a "what if?" question, within the scope of established character development, plot narrative structure, and setting provided by the cannon material, to actually answer that question as best they are able to do.

Then, there is the steaming heap of basically all other fanfic, which basically amounts to "Yeah, but I like THIS better!", into which all kinds of horrible things gets piled.

I rather dislike this second, very large demographic. It basically takes the work of the original creator and smears feces on it, then says "SeE! MyNes BEtT3R!"

Want to make the male protagonist into a female for no justifiable reason other than because you want to? SURE--- In fact, make her a gritty lesbian that likes red flannel while you are at it-- Oh, and have her eat babies alive too.  (because literally *ANYTHING* goes in this pile, because by deciding to discard the reality presented in the cannon, you have decided that those kinds of rules dont apply anyway. Go a head, write your own story, ---with BLACKJACK, and HOOKERS!)

Pages: 1 ... 8942 8943 [8944] 8945 8946 ... 10983