Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8943 8944 [8945] 8946 8947 ... 10983

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13163452 times)

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #134160 on: May 28, 2018, 01:15:47 pm »

Asking what survival advantage it confers is the wrong line of thinking.

Its what survival disadvantages would prevent the genes from passing.  SotF is not a merit based system.  Its a boatload of luck that slowly rewards over time.

Ask yourself:  Did homosexual tendencies evolve several times independently, or did it evolve so long ago that many mammals/critters share it?  Why would it persist for so long, or why would it arise so many times?
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #134161 on: May 28, 2018, 01:21:50 pm »

Homosexuality tends to be mostly co-existent with social animals that form reasonably large social groups, but still retain a mostly 50-50 gender split.

I would say that the survival advantage that drives it, if any, is the same one that drives sociality.  Homosexual people are still able to contribute to the social heirarchy structure, without being a reproductive challenger to the dominant breeding members.  This would explain the proposed mechanism for male human homosexuality-- androgen resistance in the mother from multiple male offspring prior induces the behavior in subsequent male offspring with increasing intensity and frequency.  EG, new offspring are preprogrammed to engage in social, but nonreproductive roles, reducing intra-group tensions concerning reproduction.

In non humans, homosexuality often is involved directly with social behavior-- see for instance, homosexual male lions, and giraffes. --(Or on the very extreme end of this-- bonobos)
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 01:23:45 pm by wierd »

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #134162 on: May 28, 2018, 01:46:59 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Your avatar makes this infinitely more amusing.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134163 on: May 28, 2018, 01:51:12 pm »

Working out exactly why homosexuality/bisexuality occurs is going to have to involve talking about specific species and how their social structure and breeding works, and will likely involve a lot of shrugging at some point.

In Bonobos it's because their entire society uses sex as a bonding and calming mechanism and is polyamorous, in black swans and penguins for example it's less clear because they lack such a close knit bonding within groups.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #134164 on: May 28, 2018, 01:53:49 pm »

Most of that stuff is written by girls. I think it's a fairly universal thing and didn't arise in any one place. e.g. I can count at least three origins for that sort of thing

there were gay romance novels written by women at least from the 1970s, as well as 1970s Trekkie slashfic spread in fanzines, and 1970s Japanese BL manga. All of which was well before the internet so they probably never heard of each other's work. If the same thing arises multiple times in different cultures but ends up being pretty similar (e.g. BL doujinshi stuff is pretty similar to slashfic stuff) then there's probably something deeper to it.

I think it's an evolutionary thing, there's a few animals which exhibit what I can best describe as a fetish for homosexual behaviour, either males being attracted to two females having intercourse which I recall reading about in goats, or females being attracted to two males having intercourse as in ruffs.

Makes sense to me that humans would exhibit similar behaviours occasionally.
I'm not sure what survival advantage that gives over not having that, any ideas?

And now, a rant about fanfiction shipping

People seriously need to stop, why would you ship these two characters who A. have sexualities in canon that don't work, the first one thinks the second is a horrible monster, correctly I might add, and the second tried to KILL not just the first, but all the firsts friends and family, AND the firsts entire way of life, to take their land, and the second probably never heard of the first, and the second is A. Insane B. Probably incapable of love, and C. may or may not have been neutered (yes, these are cats)  seriously guys PLEASE STOP

The same reason any fan-fiction gets written.

"WISH FULFILLMENT"

There are some (very few in my experience) creators of fan fiction that take great care to answer a "what if?" question, within the scope of established character development, plot narrative structure, and setting provided by the cannon material, to actually answer that question as best they are able to do.

Then, there is the steaming heap of basically all other fanfic, which basically amounts to "Yeah, but I like THIS better!", into which all kinds of horrible things gets piled.

I rather dislike this second, very large demographic. It basically takes the work of the original creator and smears feces on it, then says "SeE! MyNes BEtT3R!"

Want to make the male protagonist into a female for no justifiable reason other than because you want to? SURE--- In fact, make her a gritty lesbian that likes red flannel while you are at it-- Oh, and have her eat babies alive too.  (because literally *ANYTHING* goes in this pile, because by deciding to discard the reality presented in the cannon, you have decided that those kinds of rules dont apply anyway. Go a head, write your own story, ---with BLACKJACK, and HOOKERS!)
Did fanfiction kill your parents when you were a child, or something?

You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #134165 on: May 28, 2018, 02:07:03 pm »

I agree with weird. I don't like it when people change an established story or character to service themselves (pun intended? pun intended.)

There is a large subset of folks who seem to consider appropriation of another person's works an original act, and it's... not really ok.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #134166 on: May 28, 2018, 03:27:36 pm »

I'll just take this moment to pile on the "hate fanfic" bandwagon. The majority of that stuff is brain cancer in written form, and is often very poorly written to boot.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 03:35:05 pm by milo christiansen »
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #134167 on: May 28, 2018, 03:30:40 pm »

So basically, electromagetic interference is caused by ghosts. Huh. TIL!       
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134168 on: May 28, 2018, 04:17:07 pm »

I'll just take this moment to pile on the "hate fanfic" bandwagon. The majority of that stuff is brain cancer in written form, and is often very poorly written to boot.

The same could be said of the majority of all literature. Publication tends to filter out the truly awful ideas and editors transmute exceptionally bad writing into something more forgettable in its mediocrity, but it all starts out as mostly schlock.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #134169 on: May 28, 2018, 04:36:23 pm »

Sturgeon's Law exists for a reason. Something like 90% of all creative works are pretty dull at best, downright awful at worst. It's the rare 10% that become classics and best-sellers or, in this context, really good fan-fiction.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134170 on: May 28, 2018, 04:39:06 pm »

The other morning, as I was getting out of bed, my upper spine twisted the wrong way, causing significant pain throughout the entire day and into today.

Management ordered pizza for lunch for everyone(as is usual on a major sale day). After eating the pizza, most of my upper back pain straight up disappeared.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #134171 on: May 28, 2018, 04:47:26 pm »

Studies find that pizza cures upper back pain in 70% of working age adults.  Its why Planet Fitness serves it every week to their clientele.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #134172 on: May 28, 2018, 04:50:19 pm »

Salads are supposed to be healthy for you :V

My wtf is that after quitting the summer job last friday, in the three days since I've gotten tips about potential jobs from three different people, wildly different jobs with one being in fucking Norway of all places.

I'm not sure how to react to that since it's a bit overwhelming tbh, considering I've had nothing for the past several months atleast :V
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #134173 on: May 28, 2018, 05:19:14 pm »

Salads largely are healthy for you... if you lay off the dressing. Salad dressing tends turn healthy salad into "you might as well have just drank a(n extra) soda", roughly speaking.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Billy

• Bay Watcher
  • 2495 2837 1566
    • View Profile
« Reply #134174 on: May 28, 2018, 06:01:49 pm »

Food is only unhealthy to you if you're fat.
Pages: 1 ... 8943 8944 [8945] 8946 8947 ... 10983