Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8949 8950 [8951] 8952 8953 ... 10983

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13167773 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #134250 on: May 30, 2018, 12:21:22 am »

There almost certainly is intelligent life in our solar system, you're talking to it~
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #134251 on: May 30, 2018, 12:24:41 am »

Either there's not a lot going on close to us, we're bad at looking, or everyone else is good at hiding. My bet is on a mixture of the latter two.
(With the understanding that by "close to us" I don't mean the solar system. Or really anything all that close by. Space is big.)

There might indeed still be life in our solar system, if not intelligent life. Europa in particular looks somewhat promising.

*Angry European stares*
Love, scriver~

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134252 on: May 30, 2018, 12:25:46 am »

When M*A*S*H was first broadcast in Australia and in early re-runs, it definitely had the laugh track. For more recent airings, i don't know, but it had the laugh track in repeats as recent as 1990s, since they were just working off the original CBS tapes. I guess that once it was available in DVD and people realized you *could* get it without the laugh track then standards changed.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #134253 on: May 30, 2018, 12:26:15 am »

There almost certainly is intelligent life in our solar system, you're talking to it~
Debatable.

(it's a pun, see.  On the one hand it's possible to have adversarial discourse with our fellow terrans, on the other it's an insincere questioning of whether we're really intelligent at all)
(Joke explained, back to rereading too much of Homestuck)
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #134254 on: May 30, 2018, 01:07:46 am »

If anything, you would think that actually intelligent life would be fascinated about why humans act like they SHOULD be intelligent, but actually aren't.  :P

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134255 on: May 30, 2018, 01:27:11 am »

There might indeed still be life in our solar system, if not intelligent life. Europa in particular looks somewhat promising.

*Angry European stares*

I actually meant Jupiter's moon Europa, but it's even funnier when interpreted like you did, so let's keep it that way.

Unintended jokes FTW!
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #134256 on: May 30, 2018, 04:12:13 am »

*Angry European stares*

I actually meant Jupiter's moon Europa, but it's even funnier when interpreted like you did, so let's keep it that way.

Unintended jokes FTW!

I mean, it could also be a statement about Europa and how she dealt with her bully.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #134257 on: May 30, 2018, 04:43:27 am »

I try to imagine what it's like on the surface of other planets, and when you see pictures and you're reminded that nearly every other planet is either a featureless wasteland like Mars or uninhabitable superhell like Venus, I'm slightly depressed that the universe besides us (that we know of) is totally lifeless. Just so much cool shit happening in the universe, but there's noone else to share it with. Come on cosmos, get your shit together.
They probably exist, but there might be an agreement to not interfere with developing civilizations until they develop or something.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #134258 on: May 30, 2018, 05:30:22 am »

They probably exist, but there might be an agreement to not interfere with developing civilizations until they develop junk food and eat enough of it to become fat and tasty or something.
FTFY
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #134259 on: May 30, 2018, 05:32:11 am »

I try to imagine what it's like on the surface of other planets, and when you see pictures and you're reminded that nearly every other planet is either a featureless wasteland like Mars or uninhabitable superhell like Venus, I'm slightly depressed that the universe besides us (that we know of) is totally lifeless. Just so much cool shit happening in the universe, but there's noone else to share it with. Come on cosmos, get your shit together.
They probably exist, but there might be an agreement to not interfere with developing civilizations until they develop or something.
The Prime Directive is shitty and everybody knows it.

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #134260 on: May 30, 2018, 05:50:34 am »

Either there's not a lot going on close to us, we're bad at looking, or everyone else is good at hiding. My bet is on a mixture of the latter two.
(With the understanding that by "close to us" I don't mean the solar system. Or really anything all that close by. Space is big.)

You know, hiding would not be all that difficult for extrasolars. It would be enough not messing with star positions and not going out of their way to announce their presence.

Since we can not see planets in other systems directly, how could we see any accidental transmissions from them?

And that is assuming they even communicated on something we monitor. Any aliens out there may have entirely different understanding of physics, resulting in different technology.

If they were in the Sol system, it would be much more difficult though.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134261 on: May 30, 2018, 06:08:57 am »

Yeah, we've assumed aliens "trasmit" signal the way we do, but we've done that method for just over 1 century now, in total. We're already playing around with entangled particles so we don't know whether it's viable to do that long-distance. e.g. much less energy needed if you pluck at an entangled particle and someone else somewhere else notices the vibrations of the matching particle.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #134262 on: May 30, 2018, 06:13:06 am »

Sentient species in the Solar System other than us would have been discovered long ago.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #134263 on: May 30, 2018, 07:08:26 am »

Sentient species in the Solar System other than us would have been discovered long ago.
There were aliens on one of Saturn's moons once upon a time, but they died due to overpopulation or something.
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #134264 on: May 30, 2018, 07:09:20 am »

They moved to uranus.

Any spacefaring civilization should be inextinguishable, right?
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!
Pages: 1 ... 8949 8950 [8951] 8952 8953 ... 10983