Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8951 8952 [8953] 8954 8955 ... 10980

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13146209 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #134280 on: May 30, 2018, 02:36:11 pm »

Harry Baldman--

That does not make any sense at all.  By that same token, no human can be racist, because all humans are humans.

Eg, I can replace "male" and "female" with "white people" and "black people"-- then replace "sexism" with "racism", and get a completely nonsense statement.

To wit--

There's no racism against black people because both black people and white people are covered by the term "racism"...

The fact that both black people and white people are indeed, people, does not make the racism go away.

Likewise, sarkesian's rhetoric is batshit fucked up and demonstrably false. Her's is entirely a rhetorical position that conveniently sidesteps any guilt or blame, much like racist black people often try to claim that they cannot be racists, because they are black. (and/or, a minority.)

In this case, Sarkesian is claiming that she cannot be sexist, because she is not "empowered".  (nevermind that there are women in congress, we almost had a female president, we have woman CEOs, we have women who are the family breadwinners, etc.  The very notion that women are not empowered in today's society is simply false-- but without that claim, she suddenly has to face up with being sexist against men, and that just cant be allowed! /s)
« Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 02:40:12 pm by wierd »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134281 on: May 30, 2018, 02:44:06 pm »

It’s pretty obvious that she’s trying to troll anyways.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #134282 on: May 30, 2018, 02:47:34 pm »

Racism is hardly that specific - white supremacy, black oppression and black supremacy as a reaction to black oppression, for example, all exist on the same general spectrum, interconnected by colonialist context and history, along with Islamophobia, the destruction of Native Americans and all manner of other things stemming from the same groundswell of white person fuckery. Treating them as isolated and wholly separate cultural features doesn't really do them justice, and leads to people assuming they're not racist just because they're not in the Ku Klux Klan when they could just as well be entirely complicit (through privilege if nothing else) in a broader system and context of racism that they've simply failed to examine due to overly narrow, technical definitions. Does that make it clearer?

It's always hard to tell with Anita Sarkeesian because she can literally say anything and people will read a misandrist agenda into it.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #134283 on: May 30, 2018, 02:48:55 pm »

Is she, though?
Is she?
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134284 on: May 30, 2018, 03:01:52 pm »

Harry Baldman--

This youtube vid pretty clearly summarizes the issue with racism being argued about in that context.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nbnGUUdQTU

However, they did not cover things like-- black person owns a sole proprietorship type business--- is downright racist to white employees or patrons.

There is nothing in current american society that would prevent this circumstance. There are many black business owners, and equal opportunity law says they must hire white people.  However, because black people can be (ahem) "Racially prejudiced"-- and in this case, the business owner has such a proclivity, he is able to systemically exert his power and authority to disadvantage people based exclusively on their race, and suddenly--- BAAAM--- that mother fucker is racist, by the other definition as well.

But of course, "black people cant be racist" is used axiomatically here, not qualitatively, so even in the above, "Well--- Black people in GENERAL can't be racist---"   

It's an endless game of "Nu uh, because..."

The same is true for miss Sarkesian, and her rhetoric.

It's bullshit.

As for the whole "Historical white-people fuckery" thing--- Black people are just as capable of fuckery.

want to know the real reason why white people took over the damn planet first?

Watch Guns, Germs, and Steel. (or better yet, read the book.)  (pro tip-- is has nothing to do with genetics or skincolor. It has everything to do with favorability gained through resource access, and nothing else.)

If the circumstances had been reversed, we would be talking about how white people cant be racist, because of the "Historical black people fuckery"

« Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 03:10:37 pm by wierd »

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #134285 on: May 30, 2018, 03:17:28 pm »

I think we should focus on the ridiculous concept that a person's worth or identity is defined in any way by their gender, perception thereof, or race. The only thing that dividing it by meticulous category accomplishes is ensuring that we are allowed to justify acknowledging only the aspects that we feel like addressing today.

I think it also encourages building one's own identity and self-image around those concepts. This is skin to building a personality around the concept that you have feet. It encourages devaluing of oneself into a shallow category, which encourages devaluing others in the same way, upon which sexism and racism feed.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134286 on: May 30, 2018, 03:21:24 pm »

Want to know the real reason why white people took over the damn planet first?

Watch Guns, Germs, and Steel. (or better yet, read the book.)  (pro tip-- is has nothing to do with genetics or skincolor. It has everything to do with favorability gained through resource access, and nothing else.)

Plus random historical happenstances that have absolutely nothing to do with god or destiny. For example, if China hadn’t gone into recluse mode, they could have kept pace with Europeans technology wise. Another one, if horses hadn’t gotten wiped out in the Americas, perhaps there would be civilizations on par with Europe.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134287 on: May 30, 2018, 03:22:20 pm »

Indeed-- which is why I favor the dictionary definitions of those terms.

Preferential treatment of one demographic over another, based on "X"--- the root of "X"-ism.

Playing musical chairs with the definitions to try and make a more favorable position for yourself is denial of this basic fact-- it is the preferential treatment that is the root of the problem, not who is in charge, or who has more material resources.

If all individuals are treated without such preference, then the material resource issue goes away, because everyone has equal access.

Insisting "But historical things!  Your ancestors were dickheads! That justifies my being a dickhead now!!!"  is just looking for a justification for being a dickhead.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #134288 on: May 30, 2018, 03:26:50 pm »

If the circumstances had been reversed, we would be talking about how white people cant be racist, because of the "Historical black people fuckery"

There's a lot to talk about in your response, but this is probably the most telling part that encapsulates the underlying problem - does it really matter that things could have worked out another way in a wildly speculative fictional scenario when there's a good case for reparations in the world we live in, and a legacy of real damage to real people that humanity would be well-served to repair? And while I understand perfectly the appeal of a definition of racism that includes everyone as an equally guilty party worthy of equal prosecution (and so implicating no one at all), I don't think it's practically useful in deciding how to allocate the reparations required for finding a way forward into a world where an entire generation of black teenagers might not disproportionately suffer from lead paint-related brain damage, to use the most common example.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134289 on: May 30, 2018, 03:31:59 pm »

Harry--- the thing about reparations, is that they are intended to end. (Otherwise, there is no "repair.")

If your reason for giving the reparations is based exclusively on an unchangable past, and not on the desired future, or the current behavior of people, then you deny this outcome.

It stops being reparation.

So, the ultimate reparation is to make everyone have equal political power.  The argument that black people dont have it is bullshit. We already had a black president before a female one. We have plenty of black congressmen and women.

So, at what point does the reparation end, the repair completed?

I ask with absolute sincerity there.  Because basing the condition of "debt" on an unchangable past, and not on a current status, or a trend toward a better future for all, repairs nothing.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #134290 on: May 30, 2018, 03:38:31 pm »

Harry--- the thing about reparations, is that they are intended to end. (Otherwise, there is no "repair.")

If your reason for giving the reparations is based exclusively on an unchangable past, and not on the desired future, or the current behavior of people, then you deny this outcome.

It stops being reparation.

So, the ultimate reparation is to make everyone have equal political power.  The argument that black people dont have it is bullshit. We already had a black president before a female one. We have plenty of black congressmen and women.

So, at what point does the reparation end, the repair completed?

I ask with absolute sincerity there.  Because basing the condition of "debt" on an unchangable past, and not on a current status, or a trend toward a better future for all, repairs nothing.

Forty acres and two mules, isn't it?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134291 on: May 30, 2018, 03:44:17 pm »

Kagus-- way to miss the point. (or maybe, lamplit the problem in a horrifically ironic way.)

The point being, demanding eternal reparation is no different than demanding tribute. Both are demanding material and financial power, exclusively based on a class, and the history of that class.

One both groups are capable of equally approaching the legal, financial, and judicial systems, with equal access to materials, education, and opportunities, GAME OVER-- REPAIR COMPLETE.

I will acknowledge that we are not QUITE there yet.  However, arguments like "black people cant be racist" work against that outcome, not for it.

The same is true for sexism, or arguments about religion.

At the end of the day, NOBODY is fucking special.  Thats the point.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #134292 on: May 30, 2018, 03:48:43 pm »

The idea of the statement is that sexism, like racism, doesn't just involve a single group being shat on but instead a set of groups that have a very particular kind of relationship. You don't just discriminate against one group but also in favor of another. There's no sexism against men because both men and women are covered by the term "sexism", and people who go on about sexism against men usually do so as a rhetorical whataboutist trick, much like you do in that very post. If you're looking for the specific culturally enforced norms and habits arising from male cultural domination that ultimately motivate men to lead highly dysfunctional emotional and social lives, the more precise term for that would be toxic masculinity. If you're looking for genuine man-hating, that's misandry. Woman-hating, you know that one already.

So calm your tits, bud, the Dark Mother's not gonna cut your nuts off or anything. That's for after the revolution comes.
How was I doing a rhetorical whataboutist trick? I was just noting that she said she said something sexist, and ironic at that.
And then I noted the flaws in her statement.
How was that wrong? I am not "just asking questions", I seriously want to know how it was a rhetorical whataboutist trick.

It is not misogyny to note a specific feminist's beliefs are incorrect, and I was not denying misogyny either.

Besides, I would have said the exact same thing if I was a woman.

I should note, I want equality. True equality, where men are equal to women, not less or better.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 03:58:37 pm by pikachu17 »
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #134293 on: May 30, 2018, 03:55:47 pm »

Forty acres and two mules, isn't it?

Nope. Forty acres and a singular mule
Two mules is one mule too many
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #134294 on: May 30, 2018, 03:55:58 pm »

At the end of the day, NOBODY is fucking special.  Thats the point.

Basically, this. The point should be to fight the concept that a person is superior based on race or gender or belief. At what point do we stop demanding punishments to make us feel better about sexism/racism and start actually fighting it? Our mode for generations has been to just hurt the other guy so we can forget about it for now, then be outraged when the problem didn't go away.

One both groups are capable of equally approaching the legal, financial, and judicial systems, with equal access to materials, education, and opportunities, GAME OVER-- REPAIR COMPLETE.

This is the end game we should be working towards.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0
Pages: 1 ... 8951 8952 [8953] 8954 8955 ... 10980