Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8970 8971 [8972] 8973 8974 ... 10979

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13119015 times)

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #134565 on: June 05, 2018, 03:43:31 pm »

Uh, weren't there nine worlds in Norse mythology?
And spirit world is not the same as just invisible spirits.
Spirit world is a place other than regular earth for them to be spirity in.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 03:45:38 pm by pikachu17 »
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #134566 on: June 05, 2018, 03:44:36 pm »

The Norse didn't really believe in alternate dimensions in that sense. They have a god-realm a human realm and a dead-realm, the same sky/earth/subterranean divide, which is clear when you look at their artwork depictions. They had no reason not to believe that these were physical places located relative to each other.

And invisible spirits doesn't mean they're not here all around us, so it's not like D&D Astral Planes or something. When you die, a physical Valkyrie takes you to the physical place. Sure, can't be seen, but that doesn't mean that it's in a different realm of existence.

But they did.  The planes were described as branches of a tree, with certain planes being higher or lower.
Which is absurd, because you can't look up and see the other planes...  or even the rest of the tree, that Midgaard is supposedly a branch of!
It's so absurd it has to be metaphysical.  Separate planes.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134567 on: June 05, 2018, 03:46:58 pm »

The Norse didn't really believe in alternate dimensions in that sense. They have a god-realm a human realm and a dead-realm, the same sky/earth/subterranean divide, which is clear when you look at their artwork depictions. They had no reason not to believe that these were physical places located relative to each other.

And invisible spirits doesn't mean they're not here all around us, so it's not like D&D Astral Planes or something. When you die, a physical Valkyrie takes you to the physical place. Sure, can't be seen, but that doesn't mean that it's in a different realm of existence.

The invisible spirits residing in their own realm (visiting ours just temporarily, or until we banish them) or wholly in our realm is going to depend on the flavor of spirit realm you're talking about as they aren't all identical, some are separate from our realm, some aren't.

But they did.  The planes were described as branches of a tree, with certain planes being higher or lower.
Which is absurd, because you can't look up and see the other planes...  or even the rest of the tree, that Midgaard is supposedly a branch of!
It's so absurd it has to be metaphysical.  Separate planes.

I thought Midgard was the center. Still, I'm not sure if they really did think of them as places unreachable by physical means since the separate realms seems like a modern interpretation.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #134568 on: June 05, 2018, 03:47:11 pm »

Re: Heaven and literalism: the word "metaphor" really springs to mind.

Not that your given peasant didn't think of God as a massive old man living on the clouds, but modern theologians would probably just say the language needed to describe heaven accurately wasn't available.
One wheel short of a wagon

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134569 on: June 05, 2018, 03:57:38 pm »

I don't know, plenty of the Norse cosmology seems like it was taken literally.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 04:18:57 pm by Reelya »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #134570 on: June 05, 2018, 05:00:37 pm »

That's a children's book. It's in the library nearest to me. Like. I know what it's getting at. And apparently going by the reviews it's even a pretty decent one!

But it's still one of the sketchiest children's book covers I've seen my life.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134571 on: June 05, 2018, 05:07:29 pm »

I read that at first in the context of the male sex organ at first, then a minute later I saw the actual bone it meant. XD

The cover art isn't particularily sketchy (just switch the pig for little red riding hood), but the title is there a little just due to the double meaning that the intended audience isn't likely to be aware of.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 05:13:23 pm by smjjames »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #134572 on: June 05, 2018, 05:23:32 pm »

Switch the pig for little red and the fox goes from skeevy maybe-rapist to pedophilic skeevy maybe-rapist. That would actually make things worse, tbh.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #134573 on: June 05, 2018, 05:24:32 pm »

He practically screams "I want to put my bone in your purse."

With RRH, it would be even worse.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134574 on: June 05, 2018, 05:25:06 pm »

Switch the pig for little red and the fox goes from skeevy maybe-rapist to pedophilic skeevy maybe-rapist. That would actually make things worse, tbh.

Arguably, stories like Little Red Riding Hood were cautionary tales about avoiding pedophilic skeevy maybe-rapists.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #134575 on: June 05, 2018, 05:25:25 pm »

I read that at first in the context of the male sex organ at first, then a minute later I saw the actual bone it meant. XD

The cover art isn't particularily sketchy, but the title is there a little just due to the double meaning that the intended audience isn't likely to be aware of.
Thing is, "bone" can be used to describe the organ itself, but it can also be used to define one of the popular actions associated with that organ. Which makes the way Mr. Fox is leering at lil' miss Pig Riding Hood all the more suspect.

Norwegian childrens book writers, I have to say, seem to understand their target audience... Stories such as the twin set of the little boy with diarrhea who pooed from here to there, who pooed out his dinner and pooed out his friend, who pooed out things he hadn't even eaten yet; and the book from the same author following his sister who vomited on things in much the same way her brother handled the other end of the bodily spectrum.

Or perhaps an inspiring tale of becoming comfortable with yourself for who you are, as depicted in "The Elephant Who Didn't Dare to Fart".

In a slight turn from bodily functions, there is of course the highly popular "Kurt" series of books, including the one where Kurt manages to reel in a fish the size of a large house, so he and his family decide to take a quick vacation, build a shack on top of the fish, and sail it around the world (crossing from Norway to China apparently takes 2-3 days when sailing a dead fish) while eating it out from underneath them.

...it's not entirely without bodily functions, of course, because Kurt's youngest, the boy, has as a life goal to urinate in public restrooms in every country in the world. The book covers his making a lot of headway in that lofty objective.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134576 on: June 05, 2018, 05:27:09 pm »

Norwegian childrens book writers, I have to say, seem to understand their target audience... Stories such as the twin set of the little boy with diarrhea who pooed from here to there, who pooed out his dinner and pooed out his friend, who pooed out things he hadn't even eaten yet; and the book from the same author following his sister who vomited on things in much the same way her brother handled the other end of the bodily spectrum.

Relevant:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faU-lqGWgiM
« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 05:35:12 pm by Reelya »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134577 on: June 05, 2018, 05:30:58 pm »

The cover art isn't particularily sketchy, but the title is there a little just due to the double meaning that the intended audience isn't likely to be aware of.
Thing is, "bone" can be used to describe the organ itself, but it can also be used to define one of the popular actions associated with that organ. Which makes the way Mr. Fox is leering at lil' miss Pig Riding Hood all the more suspect.

I know that, and yeah it certainly does, what with triple multiple entendre and all that.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134578 on: June 05, 2018, 05:43:56 pm »

Quote from: Ocean's 8 Review
Rihanna is a computer hacker named “8 Ball,”

Wow, i totally have to see Ocean's 8 now. That sounds so cool and clever.

* note here that Ocean's 8 debuts in 2 days and there seems to be a review-embargo on the thing. That's when the studio avoids sending out early copies of a movie to reviewers - which they'd normally do to drum up good press for the thing. The only review of Ocean's 8 on Rotten Tomatoes is in Spanish, which is an appalling omen for how good the studio thinks this movie is. They've got a full lockdown on review copies in America.

EDIT: also the person who wrote Ocean's 8 apparently wrote what is considered the worst movie on Netflix.
https://www.buzzfeed.com/christopherhudspeth/netflix-worst-movie-dude-lucy-hale
« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 06:29:02 pm by Reelya »

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #134579 on: June 05, 2018, 05:53:42 pm »

This is entirely irrelevant to me, I have to say.
Pages: 1 ... 8970 8971 [8972] 8973 8974 ... 10979