Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9000 9001 [9002] 9003 9004 ... 10973

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 12997742 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #135015 on: June 25, 2018, 01:32:58 pm »

"how many is a brazilian"
- George Bush

"This many"
- Joseph Mengele
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #135016 on: June 25, 2018, 03:58:48 pm »

Mom used to read a lot of Paulo Coelho to me as a kid, it was my equivalent of bedtime stories actually. Though the books were too advanced for my young self to properly understand, I ended up developing an interest in philosophy because of them so they can't be too bad.

The books aren't very plot focused though. They're more of a contemplative meditative experience. The experience of reading one is similar to the one you get when you're sitting down and lost in thought. Lot's of interesting ideas pass through your head, and though you aren't sure of the quality of any of them, you still feel smarter afterwards.

If you feel like reading one of his books yourself for whatever reason, the ones I'd recommend are: The Alchemist, The Fifth Mountain, Manuscript of Arca, and The Pilgrimage
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #135017 on: June 25, 2018, 04:45:28 pm »

This is gonna be a somewhat bizarre question, but does anyone here have any experience with calculating population growth? I need to approximate the pop growth of some space dinosaurs over a ten-year period and I'm kinda unsure what percentages would be appropriate for the different species I have.

Asking here because it's a rather strange thing to be contemplating without context as to why, and I can't find a general science thread or anything.
This is related to ugghh... Dino Crisis ... 3? (Even tipyig it is disgusting)

If so please walk away and use any form of mental bleach.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #135018 on: June 25, 2018, 04:49:51 pm »

This is gonna be a somewhat bizarre question, but does anyone here have any experience with calculating population growth? I need to approximate the pop growth of some space dinosaurs over a ten-year period and I'm kinda unsure what percentages would be appropriate for the different species I have.

Asking here because it's a rather strange thing to be contemplating without context as to why, and I can't find a general science thread or anything.

Nope, a 40k forum game I'm running that involves psychic dinosaurs. I've been procrastinating on figuring out how their population of mundane dinos is gonna grow because the prospect of researching actual dinosaur or stand-in hypothetical population growth rates that I can transpose onto population growth equations seems like a lot of work, but it's something I'll need to get around to at some point.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #135019 on: June 25, 2018, 05:23:47 pm »

I'm sure there are pop calculators online. Try to find one.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #135020 on: June 25, 2018, 05:26:09 pm »

Alternatively, assign whatever numbers you feel like using and blame the warp for discrepancies. You're running a forum game, not a research project on hypothetical population growth.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #135021 on: June 25, 2018, 05:27:18 pm »

Get Croc data
Get Tiger data
Get early hu-man data

average out, do some brainstorming, call even.

P:  or blame the warp and their increased metabolisms for their numbers.  Psychic space apex predators from hell that can space travel sounds super hard to maintain.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #135022 on: June 25, 2018, 05:27:48 pm »

Well, in non-answer to your question, there are enough variables impacting population growth that you can more easily decide on the answer you want and work back, but as a quick and lazy first-order approximation my general approach is to write a little Python script that randomly populates each age bracket (usually I use one-year bins), kills some fraction of them and ages the rest, then takes the sum of all animals of breeding age, multiplies half that by an effective clutch size, and makes that the new zero age bracket. Run that out for ten years and see what the distribution looks like for different death rates and clutch sizes, maybe?
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 05:29:34 pm by Trekkin »

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #135023 on: June 25, 2018, 07:13:49 pm »

You're not missing anything. A would-be new age guru. "Connect with your inner self to grasp true happiness", shit like that
Are you serious? Have you ever read The Alchemist? Admittedly what little I've read of his other books wasn't impressive, but The Alchemist is a freaking landmark.   

I still lol'd at the image you posted, though.   

Kind of disgraceful that he's the most well-known brazilian author abroad when there are better ones around.
You can't just say that and not recommend any. >:(
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #135024 on: June 25, 2018, 07:18:42 pm »

Nope, a 40k forum game I'm running that involves psychic dinosaurs. I've been procrastinating on figuring out how their population of mundane dinos is gonna grow because the prospect of researching actual dinosaur or stand-in hypothetical population growth rates that I can transpose onto population growth equations seems like a lot of work, but it's something I'll need to get around to at some point.

It sounds like you are playing a tabletop game. If so, this is the answer to any complex in-universe discrepancies you may encounter/create.
Spoiler: Magic. (click to show/hide)
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #135025 on: June 25, 2018, 07:34:21 pm »

A wizard did it.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #135026 on: June 25, 2018, 08:01:39 pm »

As a quick and lazy first-order approximation my general approach is to write a little Python script that randomly populates each age bracket (usually I use one-year bins), kills some fraction of them and ages the rest, then takes the sum of all animals of breeding age, multiplies half that by an effective clutch size, and makes that the new zero age bracket. Run that out for ten years and see what the distribution looks like for different death rates and clutch sizes, maybe?

As a first year biology student, this is the correct answer. Though you don’t need python for that, you can just use excel. Also, I wouldn’t recommend calculating the starting population with an RNG, that requires too much work. Instead I recommend you enter the starting values randomly yourself. You only have to do it once after all.

One thing I would like to add though is to give each age bracket their own unique death rates. That way you simulate high infant mortality which is very important if you want to give your dinsosaurs a high clutch size without causing a population explosion.

EDIT: Fixed a typo
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 09:47:02 pm by heydude6 »
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #135027 on: June 25, 2018, 08:17:33 pm »

To be actually helpful, are these just regular animal space dinos, or some manner of intelligent spacefaring dinos? If you are looking for a good starting point in regards to our resident Biologist above, you should take a look at the population rates in somewhere like, say, the African Savannahs.

There's probably a ton of easily accessible data, and they have a working complex ecosystem involving the fantastical range of very large/very small/aggressive/passive carnivores and herbivores that you might want to incorporate into a dinosaur world.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #135028 on: June 26, 2018, 02:06:35 am »

As a quick and lazy first-order approximation my general approach is to write a little Python script that randomly populates each age bracket (usually I use one-year bins), kills some fraction of them and ages the rest, then takes the sum of all animals of breeding age, multiplies half that by an effective clutch size, and makes that the new zero age bracket. Run that out for ten years and see what the distribution looks like for different death rates and clutch sizes, maybe?

As a first year biology student, this is the correct answer. Though you don’t need python for that, you can just use excel. Also, I wouldn’t recommend calculating the starting population with an RNG, that requires too much work. Instead I recommend you enter the starting values randomly yourself. You only have to do it once after all.

One thing I would like to add though is to give each age bracket their own unique death rates. That way you simulate high infant mortality which is very important if you want to give your dinsosaurs a high clutch size without causing a population explosion.

Man, I remember when having a year of undergraduate biology meant I thought I knew things. Cherish that confidence; it wears off early in the PhD.

Billy

• Bay Watcher
  • 2495 2837 1566
    • View Profile
« Reply #135029 on: June 26, 2018, 04:45:35 am »

I feel like I'm invisible and the only person who walks my streets.
It feels great. Like I own my neighborhood momentarily broken by metallic behemoths.
Went to an onix raid and the other guy there in my team ignored me like usual. Worth the 500 dust. And got my first 7k egg from Rolan7 today and will name it in suite.
I'm bad with social. I should just approach the other trainers but I feel weird when most are girls younger than me or guys my age.
I guess I'll just stick to being a nighttime Delinquent
Pages: 1 ... 9000 9001 [9002] 9003 9004 ... 10973