Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9008 9009 [9010] 9011 9012 ... 10973

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 12995392 times)

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #135135 on: June 30, 2018, 05:52:04 am »

Playing IVAN. You know, the classic roguelike?   
Anyway, I was guzzling water out of a fountain (I'd like to say this was because it was early in the run and I wasn't very attached to my character, but truth be told I tend to lack much self-control when it comes to fountains) and before long I fell in, was sucked into the plumbing, and then burst out of a pipe... seemingly embedded in the middle of a wall?

It took me a moment to realise what had happened. Of all the open squares in the level the game could have chosen to spit me into, I wound up on the still-buried staircase to a certain highly-dangerous secret area. Hahaha, uh-oh.

I don't have any gear capable of breaking through walls, so... I guess the only way forwards is forwards. o____o
On the plus side, at least nothing can follow me up the stairs from below, due to there literally being no damn room for them. Well, they can, but I can see no sign of those that did so I'm guessing they spawned outside these walls on the nearest open tiles.

I'd take NWA any day over that kind of shit.
...And you expect anyone to value your opinion?
Also, what do you mean by "Country Lite"? The sixties were something of a golden age for country, by all accounts, with more experimentation than earlier times and yet before the horribly over-processed guitar tones and an overuse of those stupid little tappy ballad drums that are apparently called 'jam blocks' that came inexplicably into style later on.

Edit: fountain, not foundation. Stupid phone keyboard.
Haha, I should try that game.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #135136 on: June 30, 2018, 06:38:10 am »

I'd take NWA any day over that kind of shit.
...And you expect anyone to value your opinion?

What a shitty attitude. It's very rude to say "And you expect anyone to value your opinion?" because someone has different music tastes to your personal tastes. You saying that only causes me to devalue your opinion.

I was directly comparing rap music in general vs celbrity shit-tier "music" from the 1960s such as that Leonard Nimoy track and the Lorne Green track. It was considered a good idea back in the 1960s for people to release tracks like that, which would be unthinkably terrible by modern standards. The bar for "releasable material" back then for paid celebrities was even lower than fan-made material is today.

If you're going to tell me that Blondie's Rapture and Grand Master Flash's The Message or The Disposable Heroes of Hiphoprisy or TheBeastie Boys Sabotage are just shit compared to everything from the 1960s then we'd have to just disagree. Also, without rap we sure as hell wouldn't have had Rage Against The Machine or any of that ilk. Still, even though NWA might not be the greatest band, they're still better than the Nimoy or Lorne Greene tracks mentioned. Also hiphop style stuff goes right back to The Revolution Will Not Be Televised in 1971, of which you can tell the The Disposable Heroes of Hiphoprisy track I linked above is heavily influenced by.

I'm not really a rap fan at all though, but I respect other people's right to like different types of music without disparaging their opinion merely because it's not my kind of thing.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 07:48:03 am by Reelya »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #135137 on: June 30, 2018, 07:24:52 am »

They didn't have rap in the sixties.
You're telling me Tiny Tim is as bad as NWA or some shit? ???
Quick check suggests rap was showing up (specifically in blues songs) as early as like the 20s, dood, with the roots and general style of vocals going much, much further back. They had rap in the sixties, just not as developed or prolific :V
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 07:26:32 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #135138 on: June 30, 2018, 07:30:32 am »

1970s rap did start is directly descended from 1960s music:

https://www.musicbanter.com/rap-hip-hop/84124-rap-1960s.html (fixed)

This song from the link, dated 1968

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvMBxlu62c0
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 07:37:44 am by Reelya »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #135139 on: June 30, 2018, 07:35:30 am »

Lollllllll 20's rap is just descended from 16th century music bro they had rap in the 800's

Have you even heard the ancient rap ballad Beowulf
Love, scriver~

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #135140 on: June 30, 2018, 07:36:21 am »

1970s rap did start is directly descended from 1960s music:

https://www.musicbanter.com/rap-hip-hop/84124-rap-1960s.htm
link's a little borked, ree. Seems to be missing a l at the end.

Lollllllll 20's rap is just descended from 16th century music bro they had rap in the 800's

14th century, actually, apparently. Folks seem to think the cleanest/most direct trace comes from a sort of folk called "griot", which look to have basically been west african bard equivalents. Kinda' neat, really.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 07:40:37 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #135141 on: June 30, 2018, 08:02:45 am »

This is close enough to what my retort would have been that I'm just going to quote this and leave it at that, haha.

What a shitty attitude. It's very rude to say "And you expect anyone to value your opinion?" because someone has different music tastes to your personal tastes. You saying that only causes me to devalue your opinion.
Jeez, settle down sweetheart.
It's hardly my fault you have either A: a crippling inability to form opinions of your own, or B: legitimately terrible taste in music. Given that you're one of our more-frequent manga/anime posters, I'm guessing it could well be the latter, tragically, but I shall give you the benefit of the doubt anyway.

..Anyway! I have the house to myself and am in far too good a mood to waste my evening arguing, so I'm going to take this beer and go back into the lounge room where it is warm, loud and comfy. Hope y'all are having a pleasant night/day/whatever as well. ^-^   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #135142 on: June 30, 2018, 10:23:18 am »

Rap is horrible. If you like it, then you too are horrible. We can all agree on that (and those who don't will need extensive rehabilitation.)

In a slightly more serious vein, rap is a very visceral music style which does not compute with what I'm going to call "optimistic" 60s and 70s styles - it's about the blood and guts of relationship and power plays. 60s and 70s music was created and written in an era of hope for the future, and it often reflects this. Love and lovable quirks (for instance that 'Rosemary' song) formed a large part of its inspiration.

Music seems to be following the example of rap, or perhaps the other way around, and discarding the shackles of love in favour of the grimier ones of lust.

/\ the general observations of one who likes 60s and 70s music /\

Edit: As an experiment, I googled best 60s song, then best 70s song. These are the first songs google threw up.

For the 60s:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFrGuyw1V8s

For the 70s:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udX6y-FB3vU

Then I did it for 2018:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4fErC9skHE

Of course, this is a hopeless over generalisation. And perhaps those oft quoted words of Larkin may be applied: "what will survive of us is love." Perhaps we will only look back on the shiny, happy songs of today. I do doubt it though.

« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 10:43:44 am by Th4DwArfY1 »
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #135143 on: June 30, 2018, 11:00:59 am »

Gangster rap that glorifies violence/misogyny/greed is horrible.  Not to be confused with all the rap that describes these things tragically, bringing the problems to light.

Other than the gang stuff, which is very optional, rap is a very flexible genre which basically makes poetry more fun and accessible.  And even average free-style rap is super impressive to me...  I guess it gets easier with practice, like any art, but wow.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #135144 on: June 30, 2018, 11:12:50 am »

mom's spaghetti
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #135145 on: June 30, 2018, 11:14:38 am »

Gangster rap that glorifies violence/misogyny/greed is horrible.  Not to be confused with all the rap that describes these things tragically, bringing the problems to light.

Other than the gang stuff, which is very optional, rap is a very flexible genre which basically makes poetry more fun and accessible.  And even average free-style rap is super impressive to me...  I guess it gets easier with practice, like any art, but wow.
mom's spaghetti
8) Go, pope  8)
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #135146 on: June 30, 2018, 11:19:22 am »

Black People Music   |  White People Version
Blues                      |  Elvis
Jazz                        | Radio Jazz*
Rap                        |  White and Nerdy/Lonely Island

If there's anything we can learn about the US from this, its that white people can't take things seriously.

*its... complicated.  Basically the earliest jazz recordings weren't that jazzy and the white dudes who recorded them claimed to have invented jazz
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #135147 on: June 30, 2018, 11:55:22 am »

Other interesting cultural influences are that the founder of surf guitar Dick Dale, was Lebanese, and the scales he was using are all from middle-eastern music. His music also influenced a ton of heavy style guitarists later on. So, yeah, the rarely credited influence of Arabic music on the heavy guitar sound.

EDIT: I found my new favorite 60s band

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxPsXPCR5MU
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 12:20:39 pm by Reelya »

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #135148 on: June 30, 2018, 12:10:48 pm »

Black People Music   |  White People Version
Blues                      |  Elvis
Jazz                        | Radio Jazz*
Rap                        |  White and Nerdy/Lonely Island

If there's anything we can learn about the US from this, its that white people can't take things seriously.

*its... complicated.  Basically the earliest jazz recordings weren't that jazzy and the white dudes who recorded them claimed to have invented jazz

I actually read and watched a couple documentaries on this. You should look up the white-folks versions of some of those famous old jazz songs, they are supremely cringeworthy. Youtube probably has piles of them.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #135149 on: June 30, 2018, 12:24:27 pm »

I remember the Black and White Minstrel Show was still a thing on TV when I was a little kid. I was too little to realize just how cringey that was though.

The show's premise began to be seen as offensive on account of its portrayal of blacked-up characters behaving in a stereotypical manner, and a petition against it was received by the BBC in 1967.[7] In 1969, due to continuing accusations of racism, Music Music Music, a spin-off series in which the minstrels appeared without their blackface make-up, replaced The Black and White Minstrel Show. It did well, with viewing figures to match the Minstrels, but the BBC weren't happy and The Black and White Minstrel Show returned to win back viewers.

Jesus Christ. They made a non-racist version, which did equally well, but the executives wanted the racist version back for "reasons".
Pages: 1 ... 9008 9009 [9010] 9011 9012 ... 10973