Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9034 9035 [9036] 9037 9038 ... 10983

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13184935 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #135525 on: July 12, 2018, 11:21:05 am »

Yeah, it's not about size, its about whether something is a planet. And Pluto is a planet.
Does that mean the other objects past Pluto like Sedna and Eris are planets?

Of course not, why would it?

Sedna and Eris are larger than Pluto, and in the same general area as Pluto. There are hundreds of objects like them. There is no reason why they should not be planets and Pluto should.

We've already established that it's not a question of size, it's a question of planetude. Pluto has planetude. These other space objects do not.

And who else should make the definitions? Scientists are the only ones actively involved in making definitions because they are the only people to whom definitions actually matter, since accurate science requires accurate classification and accurate classification requires unambiguous definitions. People can have as many pet definitions as they want, but that doesn't mean that everyone will understand or accept them.

These are, as Kagus pointed out above, people who consider salsa to be a fruit salad. These are clearly people who cannot be described as sane or reliable.
Love, scriver~

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #135526 on: July 12, 2018, 11:25:04 am »

I slept in my contacts last night. Dunno how I forgot to take them out.
You probably did take them out, but were too drunk to remember. You and your contacts had a wild night, apparently, leading do you sleeping with them.

Hopefully this doesn't impair your professional relationship with them, and you can still use them for info and access.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #135527 on: July 12, 2018, 11:30:30 am »

We've already established that it's not a question of size, it's a question of planetude. Pluto has planetude. These other space objects do not.
That's planetist.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #135528 on: July 12, 2018, 11:40:22 am »

I can acknowledge that tomatoes are fruit, I was always on the fence about that.  If you think it's about sugar content, then how do you explain ketchup being a vegetable?
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #135529 on: July 12, 2018, 11:43:10 am »

Tomatoes are fish
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #135530 on: July 12, 2018, 11:43:40 am »

Tomatoes are fish
Flawless argument.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #135531 on: July 12, 2018, 11:44:34 am »

I can acknowledge that tomatoes are fruit, I was always on the fence about that.  If you think it's about sugar content, then how do you explain ketchup being a vegetable?

It's not about sugar content, that's a ridiculous assertion. Do you think sugar cubes are fruit? That wouldn't make sense.

Tomatoes are fish

No, but squid are. It's even in their name. Their real name, that is, that english stubbornly refuses to use - Inkfish.
Love, scriver~

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #135532 on: July 12, 2018, 11:55:19 am »

Yeah, it's not about size, its about whether something is a planet. And Pluto is a planet.
Does that mean the other objects past Pluto like Sedna and Eris are planets?

Of course not, why would it?

Sedna and Eris are larger than Pluto, and in the same general area as Pluto. There are hundreds of objects like them. There is no reason why they should not be planets and Pluto should.

Until you give me an objective, unambiguous definition of "planetude" I will not believe a thing you say concerning how much of it Pluto or anything else has. Even then, your definition will carry less weight to me then the definition created by the large group of renowned and qualified of scientists at the IAU.

And who else should make the definitions? Scientists are the only ones actively involved in making definitions because they are the only people to whom definitions actually matter, since accurate science requires accurate classification and accurate classification requires unambiguous definitions. People can have as many pet definitions as they want, but that doesn't mean that everyone will understand or accept them.

These are, as Kagus pointed out above, people who consider salsa to be a fruit salad. These are clearly people who cannot be described as sane or reliable.

Why are they not sane and reliable? Because they are not complying with the widely agreed-upon and precisely decided definition of fruit salad, and still expecting other people to understand them.

As I've said, people can have their own definition of a word if they use it within a group who agree upon that definition. If, however, they start using that meaning in academic circles, contrary to the accepted academic meaning, then they will just cause confusion and chaos. The entire purpose of standardizing bodies like the IAU is to unambiguously define academic language so that whenever two people within the same field meet each other, or read each other's papers, they actually understand what the other's saying.

And another reason for the IAU to decide that Pluto is not a planet, is that it makes practical and logical sense for the hundreds of Pluto-like bodies in the Kuiper Belt to be their own group, separate from the traditional 8 planets. People act like they had something personally against Pluto (obviously they're anti-American globalist fucks!), but it was a decision for the benefit of the astronomical community.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 11:57:53 am by bloop_bleep »
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #135533 on: July 12, 2018, 11:57:45 am »

Planetude: The measure of a planet
Love, scriver~

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #135534 on: July 12, 2018, 11:57:56 am »

Are you...
Are you being sympathetic to people who call salsa fruit salad?!?
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #135535 on: July 12, 2018, 12:01:19 pm »

Planetude: The measure of a planet

Hold on, let me translate that: "The measure of how much I, subjectively, for no logical reason, and contrary to the decision of many world-renowned scientists, think something is a planet."

Are you...
Are you being sympathetic to people who call salsa fruit salad?!?

No. I'm saying that scriver's doing the same thing they're doing.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 12:04:09 pm by bloop_bleep »
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #135536 on: July 12, 2018, 12:03:58 pm »

No, how much a thing is a planet is objectively the only objective way of measuring how much a planet it is
Love, scriver~

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #135537 on: July 12, 2018, 12:07:22 pm »

No, how much a thing is a planet is objectively the only objective way of measuring how much a planet it is

I have no idea what this sentence means. I am merely asking you for a list of objective criteria that you think are requirements for being a planet. Like what the IAU has provided.

Keep in mind that these have to include all traditional planets and Pluto, but not Eris or any other Kuiper Belt object, according to your statements. I'll wait.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #135538 on: July 12, 2018, 12:13:59 pm »

...wasn't there an episode of Rick and Morty about this?
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #135539 on: July 12, 2018, 01:22:47 pm »

I have no idea what this sentence means. I am merely asking you for a list of objective criteria that you think are requirements for being a planet. Like what the IAU has provided.

Keep in mind that these have to include all traditional planets and Pluto, but not Eris or any other Kuiper Belt object, according to your statements. I'll wait.

I found this great youtube rant that explains it much better than I could
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 9034 9035 [9036] 9037 9038 ... 10983