Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9053 9054 [9055] 9056 9057 ... 10983

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13164272 times)

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #135810 on: July 20, 2018, 11:31:51 pm »

Most of the "skeevy Japanese stuff" that's popular in the West isn't even known about by the majority Japanese anime fans.
We need to enlighten them. We need to teach the Japanese about manga.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #135811 on: July 20, 2018, 11:39:25 pm »

I don't think that's personalized, since I've got the exact same list. In fact I'm pretty sure "New and Trending" means more-or-less the same as "Popular new releases".

Also, I think you're also confusing "anime" and "hentai".
Popular new releases is still around, just more hidden. They're pretty similar but notice the complete absence of anime games there(see edit). As for the hentai comparison, Mary Skelter seems to be a more traditional video game.

Mary Skelter isn't hentai, but it's still a pretty skeevy game. For example, a game mechanic has your harem of edgy fairy tale waifus licking the blood off of each other to power up. It gets worse from there.

EDITED: The reason for the issue isn't that "anime" style games are skeevy: it's that skeevy anime-styled things are disproportionately popular in the West. For example, one of the big recent releases was Ni No Kuni 2. It clearly had a ton more money spent on it compared to the 'trending' "Treasure Hunter Claire", which amounts to nothing more than Zelda with some still images of girls with big boobs.

Same thing happens with manga. There's a top-50 weekly manga sales chart from Japan, and if you look at that there are very few "smut" mangas that, yet 1-2 of those always get in the NYTimes top 10 Best Seller List for manga. Most of the "skeevy Japanese stuff" that's popular in the West isn't even known about by the majority Japanese anime fans.

It's fascinating when you think of it. Is it possible then that most of the weird things we associate with Japanese culture are simply repressed aspects of american culture finding an outlet through foreign media? Though Tv tropes jokes about Kill-La-Kill being a Widget (WJT, Weird Japanese thing) I'm pretty sure that if Adult Swim created a show like that domestically, it would be a hit. It would be praised for its unique premise, cool fight scenes, and focus on a proper story arc. It might even reach a wider audience who would typically ignore anime, much in the way Avatar: The Last Airbender did. Certain scenes such as the Ragyo X Sasuke scenes would turn off some viewers, but are they really that much worse than some of the more offensive episodes of an adult cartoon, like say Rick and Morty?

Oh well, we won't know cause the West doesn't produce them. There is a demand for this kind of stuff, but domestic companies aren't capitalizing on it. And so like any country that can't produce a resource it wants, it imports it.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #135812 on: July 21, 2018, 01:04:08 am »

There was some pretty risque stuff in Drawn Together, also there are shows such as Stripperella. I'm not all that well-versed in niche American cartoons, but I have a feeling there's a lot more out there if someone goes looking.

Also, I'll point out one big diffference: while in Japan late teens/young adult comedy anime uses sexuality as humor, in the USA it's more likely to be bodily-fluids humor. You don't see anywhere near as many puke, pee, or poop jokes in anime as you do in Family Guy, South Park, etc. What that stuff in Japanese teen animes is actually about is comedy about the awkwardness of male/female interactions at that age, but it's often expressed through comedy tropes. Being awkward around girls or being embarrassed in those situations might be cliched in anime, but it's an expression of fairly universal experiences, which is why it's so commonly used.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2018, 01:44:04 am by Reelya »

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #135813 on: July 21, 2018, 01:22:31 am »

Most of the "skeevy Japanese stuff" that's popular in the West isn't even known about by the majority Japanese anime fans.
Putting the "man" in manga.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #135814 on: July 21, 2018, 01:47:21 am »

Oh well, we won't know cause the West doesn't produce them. There is a demand for this kind of stuff, but domestic companies aren't capitalizing on it. And so like any country that can't produce a resource it wants, it imports it.

One final point. You need to look at actual sales figures. For example Kill La Kill DVD/BDs over the entire year it was released sold 11,000 copies in Japan. Compare that to the top-selling DVDs in USA which sell multiple millions. It's ... not a mainstream title. It's just that this niche called "anime fans" have all heard of it. And the really smutty stuff is far more niche than Kill La Kill is. You can also look up when Kill La Kill aired. It originally aired at 2am in the morning. So ... low budget fare that aired in the middle of the night. We in the West get everything "anime" just streaming on the same services 24/7 so we lose the original context. The Japanese distributors for that stuff then license it really cheaply for overseas companies, so it's cheaper just to buy a license for something and dub it, rather than make a whole series yourself, especially given how niche this stuff actually is.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2018, 02:26:29 am by Reelya »

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #135815 on: July 21, 2018, 03:56:41 am »

I don't just outright wig right out to left field as a general rule but WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS SHIT

Yumble, the meal kit for your children. 67$ for a week of food, including things like a goddam hot pocket """Pizza Empinada""" or some spaghetti or an egg with some cheese sprinkled on it I shit you not.

Spoiler: disclaimer (click to show/hide)

Please tell me this isn't a real thing. I mean..fuck. I'm skipping through their menu, and in pretty much each of these meals, half of it is essentially junkfood. Bread this, pretzel that, sugar!!!, MOAR PRETZELS and  extra pretzels with ketchup on the side. God this a horrible.

edit: No wonder really. If their menu's pictures are indicative of their portion size there is barely any proper food in each one, so they just fill them with high calorie junk.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2018, 04:01:59 am by Ulfarr »
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #135816 on: July 21, 2018, 05:04:38 am »

Mansplaining has never been more Kawaii.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #135817 on: July 21, 2018, 05:38:21 am »

Wait, so we will be... senpai?!?
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #135818 on: July 21, 2018, 05:45:01 am »

I don't just outright wig right out to left field as a general rule but WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS SHIT

Yumble, the meal kit for your children. 67$ for a week of food, including things like a goddam hot pocket """Pizza Empinada""" or some spaghetti or an egg with some cheese sprinkled on it I shit you not.

Spoiler: disclaimer (click to show/hide)

Please tell me this isn't a real thing. I mean..fuck. I'm skipping through their menu, and in pretty much each of these meals, half of it is essentially junkfood. Bread this, pretzel that, sugar!!!, MOAR PRETZELS and  extra pretzels with ketchup on the side. God this a horrible.

edit: No wonder really. If their menu's pictures are indicative of their portion size there is barely any proper food in each one, so they just fill them with high calorie junk.
No no, you misunderstand, they've healthified it! With only the freshest, vine-ripened tator tots!

I am perpetually surprised at the things people feed to their kids. It seems to start with "they're a kid, they should enjoy it while it lasts" or "kids like this kind of thing", and then after they've been exposed to it and introduced to the concept that it's an okay thing to eat, it progresses to "it's the only thing he'll eat, I don't understand it!".

I knew a woman who fed her toddler potato chips for dinner, with some post-workout electrolyte drink mix in a sippy cup because "it's the routine". How the fuck does that become routine. How do you expect naptime to work after your child just guzzled an energy drink.

Like, okay, not everyone can "just whip together" a healthy well-balanced meal that's 100% fair trade and metaphorically vegan every night. I get that. Sometimes it's good luck just finding anything edible along with the energy to even eat it. But for fuck's sake, your three-year-old doesn't need her own bag of "Saturday candy".

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #135819 on: July 21, 2018, 07:21:22 am »

Mansplaining has never been more Kawaii.

Relevant

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #135820 on: July 21, 2018, 07:29:32 am »

I am perpetually surprised at the things people feed to their kids. It seems to start with "they're a kid, they should enjoy it while it lasts" or "kids like this kind of thing", and then after they've been exposed to it and introduced to the concept that it's an okay thing to eat, it progresses to "it's the only thing he'll eat, I don't understand it!".

Kids actually go through a period where they will eat anything, then goes into a period of extreme taste-phobia where they will refuse to eat anything they haven't already experienced the taste of. So if you want your kids to eat real food, or "adult" food, start making them eat it early.
Love, scriver~

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #135821 on: July 21, 2018, 07:56:30 am »

Kids actually go through a period where they will eat anything, then goes into a period of extreme taste-phobia where they will refuse to eat anything they haven't already experienced the taste of. So if you want your kids to eat real food, or "adult" food, start making them eat it early.

This. My 1 year old son eats everything and anything we give him so we're giving him as much variety as possible. I made a baby salad for him yesterday. As in a miniature salad, complete with sliced tomatoes and a smidge (literally just a smidge, I portion well) of ranch dressing.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #135822 on: July 21, 2018, 08:26:08 am »

Of the three anime games posted, only Treasure Hunter Claire is straight up hentai.
Even before the whole 'censorship' fiasco, I've been noticing more and more of them popping up in the marketplace.

Of course, nearly all of them are RPGMaker games where the hentai is grafted on top of base assets.
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #135823 on: July 21, 2018, 08:30:44 am »

PTW
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.
Pages: 1 ... 9053 9054 [9055] 9056 9057 ... 10983