Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9066 9067 [9068] 9069 9070 ... 9932

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 6153371 times)

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #136005 on: August 01, 2018, 09:02:40 am »

Please ensure the hammerer has a foam hammer. Don't waste a valuable human if that's the case.
Does make me wonder what the best material for a hammerer's hammer would be, if using dwarf fortress materials (and not wood).
I somehow don't think it would be silver. Maybe copper or aluminium?

adamantine, if by 'best material' you mean the least lethal.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2018, 09:05:20 am by Caz »
huh?

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
  • Cyber-Voodoo Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #136006 on: August 01, 2018, 09:55:25 am »

-snip-
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 02:04:51 pm by dragdeler »

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #136007 on: August 01, 2018, 12:37:37 pm »

Four steaks fall onto the ground. Well shit. It happens. Take stock of their weight, and trash it.

Four steaks fall onto the ground. Older coworker, thinks that it is FUCKING OK TO JUST DUST THAT SHIT OFF AND TRY TO SELL IT. FUCK. NO. THAT is NOT OK.

The bastard even had the nerve to try to tell me that's not what he was planning to do. HE PUT A FREAKING LABEL ON IT! GRAH! If my meat doesn't do anything about this, I might have to. God am I PISSED.
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #136008 on: August 01, 2018, 01:09:01 pm »

The question is, what is best? From the players perspective? Then Adamantium, it's literally the lightest metal, period, and would do the least damage. It's 0.200 g/cm3.

From the perspective of a justice system? Well, is hammering supposed to be lethal or just a "punishment" like whipping? If the former, then platinum (21.40 g/cm3), the most weighty material in DF, although gold and rose gold are within 5-10% of platinum density. 19.32 g/cm3 for both of them. Special mention goes to silver at 10.49 g/cm3, and is the most weighty 'weapons-grade' metal that you could normally use. A platinum hammer is only available through a[n un?]lucky artefact, but if we're not talking in-game techniques but only material properties, then you'd be able to make a platinum hammer, no problem.

If it's simply for punishment, then you'd want something between aluminum and steel; there's a large gap in DF densities, with aluminum at 2.7 g/cm3 and the next dense is tin and the pewters at 7.28 g/cm3, with steel at 7.85 g/cm3.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2018, 01:13:07 pm by Descan »
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #136009 on: August 01, 2018, 01:16:07 pm »

Four steaks fall onto the ground. Well shit. It happens. Take stock of their weight, and trash it.

Four steaks fall onto the ground. Older coworker, thinks that it is FUCKING OK TO JUST DUST THAT SHIT OFF AND TRY TO SELL IT. FUCK. NO. THAT is NOT OK.

The bastard even had the nerve to try to tell me that's not what he was planning to do. HE PUT A FREAKING LABEL ON IT! GRAH! If my meat doesn't do anything about this, I might have to. God am I PISSED.
I've heard fun stories from people working in restaurants.

Four steaks fall onto the ground. Don't you DARE throw out those perfectly good steaks, you're WASTING PRODUCT and COSTING US MONEY.

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #136010 on: August 01, 2018, 02:38:48 pm »

Eurgh. And literally EVERY fucking person I have talked to about it thinks it's ok. Which, it ultimately might, since they are raw and will be subjected to great amounts of heat anyways, but there is still no fucking way I would want to sell something like that in good conscience.

... I really need to find a better job.
BIRDS.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #136011 on: August 01, 2018, 02:53:11 pm »

Nah, it's not okay.

And literally everyone of those who say it is would refuse to eat that steak if it was theirs.
Love, scriver~

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #136012 on: August 01, 2018, 03:53:26 pm »

Nah, it's not okay.

And literally everyone of those who say it is would refuse to eat that steak if it was theirs.

While I wish that were the case, I don't think that it is. One of the claims made during our conversation was 'my wife is a microbiologist' and the guy had been in the business for years. On most other things I respect him, so I am inclined to believe him that, yeah, 450 degrees will kill a lot of things. Hell, during the aging process of meats, we deliberately allow some materials to develop on the outer shell of a meat so that inside becomes more tender. In most respects, they're probably right in saying that shit won't hurt anyone, provided the meat is cooked as long as it needs to be.

That said. it's still morally reprehensible to try to sell a product that had been potentially contaminated without that customers pre-consent; which given that it was a pre-packed item, wasn't exactly an option. And even then, if it ended tasting even the most tiniest bit funny, I would feel awful. If only for that reason, I'm still 100% happy with what I did.

GRAH.
BIRDS.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #136013 on: August 01, 2018, 04:21:03 pm »

It is also worth noting that people expect beef to be able to be cooked to much lower temperatures than most other meats, so steak especially is more risky than a lot of others if sold dirty. Some people even eat it raw!

So, no. Not OK.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #136014 on: August 01, 2018, 04:35:51 pm »

Nah, it's not okay.

While I wish that were the case, I don't think that it is. One of the claims made during our conversation was 'my wife is a microbiologist' and the guy had been in the business for years. On most other things I respect him, so I am inclined to believe him that, yeah, 450 degrees will kill a lot of things. Hell, during the aging process of meats, we deliberately allow some materials to develop on the outer shell of a meat so that inside becomes more tender. In most respects, they're probably right in saying that shit won't hurt anyone, provided the meat is cooked as long as it needs to be.

That said. it's still morally reprehensible to try to sell a product that had been potentially contaminated without that customers pre-consent; which given that it was a pre-packed item, wasn't exactly an option. And even then, if it ended tasting even the most tiniest bit funny, I would feel awful. If only for that reason, I'm still 100% happy with what I did.

GRAH.
Yo when you end up Kitchen Nightmares make a cryptic Dwarf Fortress reference so we know its you.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136015 on: August 01, 2018, 04:41:14 pm »

Nah, it's not okay.

GRAH.
Yo when you end up Kitchen Nightmares make a cryptic Dwarf Fortress reference so we know its you.

"This is a Mastercraft kitchen knife, it menaces with spikes of stainless steel."

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #136016 on: August 01, 2018, 04:49:50 pm »

Nah, it's not okay.

You'd be surprised/horrified. I've had to intercept family that was going to cook/eat stuff that had been on the floor and had bugs crawling on it. Also have to regularly check to make sure food is put up after cooking/eating. They don't hesitate to leave stuff (that can make you sick/actually kill you if not promptly refrigerated or whatev') out for literal days, exposed to air, and still eat it.

How these people live for decades and not make the subsequent toilet inhabitation connection, I still don't understand. Senility only goes so far and doesn't excuse the ones younger than me.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #136017 on: August 01, 2018, 04:53:48 pm »

Unfortunately(fortunately?), I'm working in a straight-up meat department as opposed to kitchen. And Meph, that point is 100% valid, although I would deeply question why someone would want to eat meat raw (though I do know there are some recipes for it, and our fresh house-ground beef tends to be decent for that). 

That said? I think I'm going to make an inquiry to the FDA and see what they think. For all I know, there could be archaic shenanigans that somehow makes steak dropping ok (unlikely, but oh my god if it is), or sweet vindication(which would beg the question of how I even broach this sort of subject, but I'm thinking that since I've contacted the people in charge on my own levels, I would likely be best off going above their heads and to somebody who actually gives a shit.

As for eating that flies onto my floors, it's mostly fair game so long as it's raw or dried. Cracker? Piece of popcorn? Give me that shit. Crusty apple covered in what one can only hope is coffee grains? Dear god no.
BIRDS.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136018 on: August 01, 2018, 04:55:50 pm »

-
« Last Edit: August 01, 2018, 06:30:45 pm by JoshuaFH »

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #136019 on: August 01, 2018, 06:27:00 pm »

Unfortunately(fortunately?), I'm working in a straight-up meat department as opposed to kitchen. And Meph, that point is 100% valid, although I would deeply question why someone would want to eat meat raw (though I do know there are some recipes for it, and our fresh house-ground beef tends to be decent for that). 

That said? I think I'm going to make an inquiry to the FDA and see what they think. For all I know, there could be archaic shenanigans that somehow makes steak dropping ok (unlikely, but oh my god if it is), or sweet vindication(which would beg the question of how I even broach this sort of subject, but I'm thinking that since I've contacted the people in charge on my own levels, I would likely be best off going above their heads and to somebody who actually gives a shit.

As for eating that flies onto my floors, it's mostly fair game so long as it's raw or dried. Cracker? Piece of popcorn? Give me that shit. Crusty apple covered in what one can only hope is coffee grains? Dear god no.

I suspect the FDA will tell you that it's very not okay.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.
Pages: 1 ... 9066 9067 [9068] 9069 9070 ... 9932