Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9066 9067 [9068] 9069 9070 ... 10983

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13171076 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #136005 on: July 27, 2018, 01:45:24 am »

Obviously the dates need to be relative. For example if you go to China or Pakistan, you wouldn't find a magical change that happened exactly for kids born in 1989. It's culture specific. Could also be socio-economic level dependent too.

EDIT: 85 for the start of Gen-Y has always been one of the common ones. not everyone said it was 1980.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2018, 01:47:43 am by Reelya »

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #136006 on: July 27, 2018, 01:49:55 am »

Certainly, I find it very unreasonable to apply what we consider a generation in the U.S. to other nations, as their own experiences are different from those here.  The idea of the generation is pretty poorly defined in most cases too, Baby Boomers aren't a thing exclusive to the U.S. but the experiences of my father and mother are in no way representative of other cultures.

Interesting that your sources say '85, that is totally inconsistent with my upbringing, where '79 is generally considered the cutoff for Gen X.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #136007 on: July 27, 2018, 02:14:20 am »

I did grow up with a computer. I had one since I was 8. When I was 5 I had some weird device that was supposed to initiate children onto computers. Odrilingua ???
« Last Edit: July 27, 2018, 02:15:54 am by ChairmanPoo »
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #136008 on: July 27, 2018, 02:24:14 am »

How curious that you guys were discussing millennials while I was talking to some in real life.  There are a few of the little buggers that come in to my favourite pub (they aren't all old enough to drink, but then I'm more or less teetotal, so I can't talk).

I realised that, while I might technically be a millennial to some, I am in no ways a millennial.  millennials are a cultural class, rather than a specific age bracket, much like the Gen Xers out there, and the boomers before them.

I don't know what cultural generation I hail from.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #136009 on: July 27, 2018, 03:25:46 am »

If they aren't old enough to drink then they aren't millennials. Millennials literally stop being born at around 2000.
Love, scriver~

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #136010 on: July 27, 2018, 03:30:45 am »

If they aren't old enough to drink then they aren't millennials. Millennials literally stop being born at around 2000.
Millennials stopped being born at like 1990.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #136011 on: July 27, 2018, 03:32:51 am »

Millennials stopped being born at like 1990.
I've always found that weird. As a mid-90's kid, I consider myself a millennial, and am old enough to drink. So like, eh? Generations are weird.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #136012 on: July 27, 2018, 03:33:37 am »

A millennial is just anyone who cripples themselves financially by dining frequently on restaurant-grade avocado toast.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #136013 on: July 27, 2018, 03:36:40 am »

I grew up with an old laptop that borked itself a few years ago after I spilled tea on the keyboard.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #136014 on: July 27, 2018, 04:12:17 am »

Funny story - one time when I was younger, I tried to play games on my mother's computer (I was too young to have one of my own) only to spill some tea onto the keyboard.

When it wasn't working right later that day, she discovered the spilled tea and put two and two together to make a lot of noise directed at me.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #136015 on: July 27, 2018, 04:30:57 am »

Funny story - one time when I was younger, I tried to play games on my mother's computer (I was too young to have one of my own) only to spill some tea onto the keyboard.

When it wasn't working right later that day, she discovered the spilled tea and put two and two together to make a lot of noise directed at me.
My computer lasted a year after the tea incident, though, working progressively slower until the final death. Computer cancer, basically.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #136016 on: July 27, 2018, 04:35:24 am »

I was born in '90, grew up with a computer (and internet access when that became a thing, but I honestly don't remember much about that stage).

I learned QWERTY before I'd memorized my ABCs. Side effect of growing up with a software engineer for a father.

I remember when ring-pops were a thing, and gushers, but I was never really a part of the '90s culture I learned about from TV due to not really being social. I did get to grow up with Sesame Street and Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood though, and Bill Nye. So I guess there's that.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #136017 on: July 27, 2018, 04:51:45 am »

I was born in '90, grew up with a computer (and internet access when that became a thing, but I honestly don't remember much about that stage).

I learned QWERTY before I'd memorized my ABCs. Side effect of growing up with a software engineer for a father.

I remember when ring-pops were a thing, and gushers, but I was never really a part of the '90s culture I learned about from TV due to not really being social. I did get to grow up with Sesame Street and Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood though, and Bill Nye. So I guess there's that.

My parents were both programmers, so my first memory is of Mac OS 7? 8? and most of my childhood memories revolve around our family Diablo evenings.

As far as 90s go, pure 1990s. Sesame Street, Pokemon, BUTTKICKING FOR JUSTICE!
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #136018 on: July 27, 2018, 05:24:08 am »

I was born in 1999, so I've missed most of the 90s culture. I've also never played or watched Pokemon.

As for the tea spilling stories, I've never destroyed a computer with beverages. I have stopped eating/drinking near my computer 2 years ago. However, my mother drinks and eats near my computer while watching stuff on it, which terrifies me sometimes.
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136019 on: July 27, 2018, 05:37:07 am »

I grew up with an old laptop that borked itself a few years ago after I spilled tea on the keyboard.

Heh, when I was a little kid, "portable" computers were the size of a suitcase, and nobody even had one. Google "portable computer 1985". Any normal person had a thing that plugs into your cathode ray TV or otherwise bulky cathode ray tube monitor. Any sort of flatscreens were effectively sci-fi for almost everyone, and the ones that were available were awful monochrome LCD ones. Think, the original gameboy screen, but a 12-inch version of that hooked to a low-powered DOS computer.

Even in 1991, the best thing I personally had was a 8MHz IBM XT clone (i.e not much better than something you could have bought around 1982). I remember having to play Eye of the Beholder in 4-color CGA with the horrible no-choice palettes, and dreamed of the magical world of 16 color EGA graphics, like I saw in gaming magazines. Around '93 we got a 486, and man was that a jump up. After that, I went to college and it was the era in which people kept throwing out PCs that were only few years old, so you could constantly cannibalize perfectly good PCs you find lying in the street. That's really died off now due to tablets and smartphones.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2018, 05:52:34 am by Reelya »
Pages: 1 ... 9066 9067 [9068] 9069 9070 ... 10983