Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9068 9069 [9070] 9071 9072 ... 9933

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 6157407 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #136035 on: August 02, 2018, 06:11:29 am »

Maybe they just don't like Big Pharma

Also isn't eating dinner with Big Pharma highly unethical and/or bribery
Love, scriver~

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #136036 on: August 02, 2018, 06:40:17 am »

He’s under no obligation to buy what they’re selling, man.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #136037 on: August 02, 2018, 06:40:51 am »

I think acknowledging them is probably a breach of moral laws though.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136038 on: August 02, 2018, 07:07:14 am »

::)
No, it's obviously neither illegal nor unethical, or else I wouldn't have posted it.

In case someone is not aware of this: the vast majority of meetings, workgroups and conferences worldwide are sponsored by the pharmaceutical industry. They probably wouldn't take place otherwise because sure as hell goverments aren't footing the bill. There are ethical governance rules concerning this stuff.

(For instance, I have given sponsored presentations for the pharma industry, too.  One stringent rule was that I was not to promote in any way any products, of the sponsors or otherwise. Just raw clinical data.)

Also and by the way: these meetings (and the dinners afterwards) are part of the job. Flying X hours to lock myself in  a building giving technical presentations for hours and THEN go to have dinner with those same people to keep talking about the same things is not exactly my idea of fun. When I want to go on holidays proper I set up my own trip. As of late to go home, with some plans to go to the Greek islands soon when I'm able to work enough days together. With no workplace shit involved
He’s under no obligation to buy what they’re selling, man.
That too.
TBH I'm warier about bullshit trials slipping misinformation into the guidelines (eg the recent Brentuximab fiasco-- ) than about my prescription habits being affected by some rep feeding me wormy meat
« Last Edit: August 02, 2018, 07:17:06 am by ChairmanPoo »
I recently became a objectivist, I am reasonably certain that means all my opinions are now universal fact.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136039 on: August 02, 2018, 07:15:50 am »

Go see the John Oliver episode about pharma kickbacks. It's all legal.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #136040 on: August 02, 2018, 07:16:59 am »

How would they know he was a big pharma guy? Was hea monocle user with a peculiar facial scar, dressed in an all black attrite while slowly stroking a cat with his non-metal clawed hand?
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136041 on: August 02, 2018, 07:21:29 am »

Well, because she was openly a rep from GSK.
I recently became a objectivist, I am reasonably certain that means all my opinions are now universal fact.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Crisper Child Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #136042 on: August 02, 2018, 07:23:02 am »

I think people tend to draw parallels with political lobbyists, and how a lot of politicians are pay to play in that sense. It's different obviously, but most people don't take the time to really consider the differences.
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.
So, basically, we have a hovercraft that explodes when used.
Still, Chief, you are correct. It is an excellent dog fighter. It managed to nail the one dog present in the audience.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136043 on: August 02, 2018, 07:31:08 am »

Honestly, if you want to find conflicts of interest, look at public/private  hybrid schemes.  I do find those highly dubious.

As far as pharma goes, like I said,  bullshit trials and hooked bait product placement schemes* are far more worrying than  sponsored dinners. I know examples of those

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136044 on: August 02, 2018, 07:38:35 am »

How would they know he was a big pharma guy? Was hea monocle user with a peculiar facial scar, dressed in an all black attrite while slowly stroking a cat with his non-metal clawed hand?

Big Pharma company reps openly pile gifts and freebies on doctors. The tacit agreement is that the doctor is prescribing the pharma company's massively overpriced "wonderdrug" which does the same thing as the 2-cent generic version, but is all being charge to the taxpayer through Medicare or to your insurance plan, so everyone* wins!

(except the taxpayer and the actual patient, who has their Medicare allowance eaten away and/or massive increases in their insurance premiums to account for all this largesse).

It's done in ways that legally circumvent any restrictions. But that includes free high-quality restaurant food. It's a "meeting" after all, and there's no law that says the meeting cannot be in a really expensive restaurant.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2018, 07:42:16 am by Reelya »

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136045 on: August 02, 2018, 07:41:09 am »

With maggoty meat. Also at best leaving the fuckups aside it was a middling good restaurant at best. Perhaps you'd like these to take place at McDonalds?

"Freebies". Heh.

Honestly going by these conspiranoic messages you'd assume that most doctors can't afford eating out or ballpoint pens.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2018, 07:44:17 am by ChairmanPoo »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136046 on: August 02, 2018, 07:43:57 am »

With maggoty meat

ikr.

No wonder the GSK sales rep was livid. He's doing his best to unethically bribe medical practitioners with lavish gifts, all while the lavish-gift-sales people are unethically delivering sub-par lavish gifts.

Well, because she was openly a rep from GSK.

The keyword being "she" here. Is she good looking?

Big Pharma reps are usually good-looking women, who don't know anything about medicine, since they're mostly hired to sell drugs to male doctors, and looks are more important for that than actually knowing what you're selling.

On the John Oliver episode about this they interview some, who were things like Politics or PR undergrads before getting the Big Pharma "doctor schmoozing" job, and one Rep mentioned that some doctors would ask them for medical opinions (despite them only having an undergrad degree in communications or something) and they'd just go "uh sure, I'm sure medicine X will be fine with condition Y" because it's their job to say the stuff is fine no matter what.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2018, 07:50:54 am by Reelya »

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136047 on: August 02, 2018, 07:49:52 am »

So, I finally decided to take a good look at Twitch, it's always been on the periphery of my gaming culture knowledge, but just, jesus what the fuck? Why are so many people invested into watching other people play games? and in what is probably the most boring format possible (live, unscripted, no guarantee of actual entertainment)? It's one of those things that makes me question if I understand people at all.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136048 on: August 02, 2018, 07:52:07 am »

The same reasons people watch hour after hour of reality TV or spend hours scrolling through really boring update feeds on Facebook and similar.

Yeah, i don't get any of those things.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2018, 07:55:00 am by Reelya »

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #136049 on: August 02, 2018, 07:52:52 am »

Kee-ripes, Reelya, biased much? :P
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.
Pages: 1 ... 9068 9069 [9070] 9071 9072 ... 9933