Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9076 9077 [9078] 9079 9080 ... 10983

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13187580 times)

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #136155 on: July 30, 2018, 11:00:09 pm »

I play ROTMG, and yes, the economy is entirely player-generated. The primary currency is potions that are used for increasing stats. The sink for them is, well, drinking them to increase your stats.

As a game designer tip, if you have a high-level consumable used as a barter good, and you want to create trade demand for a secondary currency, then stick a vendor in the world who, for example gives you one of those potions for 10000 gems. Now, gems become the more easily traded commodity, replacing the potions themselves.
The potions aren't high-level. At least Dexterity and Speed.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136156 on: July 30, 2018, 11:09:24 pm »

Whether they're high level isn't the main point, but high-level consumables are more effective at acting as a currency sink.

EDIT: those potions are effectively acting like cigarettes do in prison. The main problem for MMO money is where everyone is constantly generating cash from the environment (due to farming, monster hunting or whatever the game is about), then cash becomes meaningless because everyone is rich. (or in prison, where cash money can't really be spent, so only a consumable trade good has any worth).

The naive fix is to make money more scarce, but that creates rich and poor players and drives away a big chunk of your player base to play other - less annoying - games. So no, you cannot balance an MMO economy like a real economy, because people in MMOs have the choice to play other games, while people don't have a choice about living in the real world.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 11:25:17 pm by Reelya »

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #136157 on: July 31, 2018, 04:09:14 am »

So, when is someone gonna bring Entropia Universe into this discussion?

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136158 on: July 31, 2018, 04:29:47 am »

Just before going to bed last night, I was moving the groceries off of my bed(I put them there until I sort them to wherever they go), when I discover that the cap on a jug of laundry soap had come loose. Ruined the other stuff in that bag, and it soaked through all my blankets and sheets. Had to sleep on the bare mattress.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #136159 on: July 31, 2018, 08:03:33 am »

Florida Man america's greatest superhero
Apparently this is because Florida has transparency laws that allow reporters access to detailed police reports. So where anywhere else you'd get "Man shoots wife" you instead get "Florida Man shoots wife because she wouldn't pass the salt".

Yet if it was only this then you'd have a lot of other "Place Man" too. Several European Men, for example. It has to be more with Florida.
Love, scriver~

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136160 on: July 31, 2018, 10:00:46 am »

It is because of that. The thing only started in 2013 due to a specific Twitter feed called @_FloridaMan

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

There's a German version apparently "Mann aus Sachsen".
« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 10:39:21 am by Reelya »

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136161 on: July 31, 2018, 10:28:34 am »

The best part of Florida man is pretending they are all the same person.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136162 on: July 31, 2018, 10:36:05 am »

-snip-
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 02:05:24 pm by dragdeler »
let

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136163 on: July 31, 2018, 11:35:11 am »

It's not exactly a meme but if you want a crude depiction: people from Sachsen are the flath earth kind of stupid, so they certainly are joking material. Seems like a huge oversimplification but loads of women and smart people actually are leaving, that gives you an idea of what kind of hopeless bottomfeeders remain. TBF the east has been vastly neglected and mistreated since the fall of the wall. But if you're looking for Reichsbürger, people that don't believe that the Bundesrepublik exists and hence print their own identity papers, birth certificates etc. and start grotesque attemps to declare their lawn an independant state in order to avoid taxation; Sachsen is where you should start your search.

The one time I've passed trough a desolate trainstation over there, they were visibly annoyed to be serving food to a "stranger" (-> native german speaker), ironically it was kebab.
So the German version of sovereign citizens.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136164 on: July 31, 2018, 12:27:41 pm »

https://www.npr.org/2018/07/31/634243745/shark-in-a-stroller-heist-ends-with-animals-safe-return-to-san-antonio-aquarium

All else aside, why? They went to great lengths to steal this shark, all to put it into an aquarium tank and presumably look at it, just like they were already doing at the aquarium. It's not even a particularly rare shark; literal tons of them show up as bycatch every year. They could get exactly the same species by just going fishing, which if not legal (to keep as a pet, I mean) is at least far less likely to get them caught.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136165 on: July 31, 2018, 12:37:15 pm »

https://www.npr.org/2018/07/31/634243745/shark-in-a-stroller-heist-ends-with-animals-safe-return-to-san-antonio-aquarium

All else aside, why? They went to great lengths to steal this shark, all to put it into an aquarium tank and presumably look at it, just like they were already doing at the aquarium. It's not even a particularly rare shark; literal tons of them show up as bycatch every year. They could get exactly the same species by just going fishing, which if not legal (to keep as a pet, I mean) is at least far less likely to get them caught.

Here we were worried about Florida Man, and we totally forgot the Texan Men.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136166 on: July 31, 2018, 05:48:35 pm »

My stepdad just installed a new(probably used) gas stove, one that actually works and replaces the camp stove they were using. Already suspects a gas leak somewhere. Thinking the leak might be from inside the oven, he opens it and waves a lit match inside. We're till not sure if there is a leak, but since my stepdad didn't just die in a fiery explosion one can only hope it's safe to assume there's no gas leak in the oven. Also, he only noticed the smell of the leak-detection additives(propane itself is scentless) right after someone else tested one of the burners.

Gonna go confirm the carbon monoxide detectors work.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #136167 on: July 31, 2018, 05:51:33 pm »

Honestly akura. I think your stepda is a bit on the loopsie.
Love, scriver~

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #136168 on: July 31, 2018, 05:54:17 pm »

My stepdad just installed a new(probably used) gas stove, one that actually works and replaces the camp stove they were using. Already suspects a gas leak somewhere. Thinking the leak might be from inside the oven, he opens it and waves a lit match inside. We're till not sure if there is a leak, but since my stepdad didn't just die in a fiery explosion one can only hope it's safe to assume there's no gas leak in the oven. Also, he only noticed the smell of the leak-detection additives(propane itself is scentless) right after someone else tested one of the burners.

Gonna go confirm the carbon monoxide detectors work.

You always get a faint whiff of gas when you turn on a gas stove. Enough gas has to come out for the spark to ignite it, and that's enough for you to smell it. I'm beginning to suspect that your stepfather has brain damage.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #136169 on: July 31, 2018, 05:54:28 pm »

Engineer a leak in the oven, Akura.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.
Pages: 1 ... 9076 9077 [9078] 9079 9080 ... 10983