Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9083 9084 [9085] 9086 9087 ... 10983

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13188654 times)

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #136260 on: August 02, 2018, 03:52:29 pm »

What the fuck even happened in this thread

Threads that made you "WTF?" today
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #136261 on: August 02, 2018, 03:59:17 pm »

It can only be Silent Hill if there is an oppressive amount of fog.
And horrifying creatures from the depths of one's psyche
But mostly its fog

Don't forget the enormous, rusty fans. And every floor being replaced with rusty grates.

I'm starting to suspect Alessa had some issues.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #136262 on: August 02, 2018, 04:01:47 pm »

HAHAHAHA UHHHHHH MY HOUSE IS ON TORNADO WARNING SO GOOD LUCK TO ME I GUESS

It's still raining so I'm not super worried, and we haven't lost power yet, but there's something very worrying about the state news network saying "Hey, if you live near (road two minutes from my house), don't go anywhere haha ;)"

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #136263 on: August 02, 2018, 04:08:57 pm »

I hope you are posting from a basement or an all concrete structure. :P  Anyway good luck to you.  When you are sent to OZ don't let that bitch not tell you to click your heals to go back.  "You would not have believed me" my ass.  It takes 2 seconds to try it.

EDIT: Also I'm a day late on this subject but I have my hammerer modded to use a greatsword instead.  Every 'hammering' is an execution. I even have the noble's name changed to 'executioner'.  I even usually make them the commander of my sword squad so they know how to use the thing properly.  It kills the immersion for me to give the hammerer a nerf bat and imagine they are still happy about it.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2018, 04:17:25 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #136264 on: August 02, 2018, 04:21:20 pm »

HAHAHAHA UHHHHHH MY HOUSE IS ON TORNADO WARNING SO GOOD LUCK TO ME I GUESS

Real talk. If you ain't got no storm bunker nor a basement and a tornado is about to whoop your ass, you can attempt to ride it out in your bathtub in an interior bathroom
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #136265 on: August 02, 2018, 04:29:05 pm »

Uh, well the tornado warning is over and the rain has stopped, but we're still on flash flood warning. I'm p sure we'll be fine - we're about two houses up from the lake, so any flash floods would just mean we'd need to go down and help our neighbor gtfo.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #136266 on: August 02, 2018, 04:36:29 pm »

I always wondered. Why the heck aren't all the houses on tornado country (aka US) or at least in the areas the tornado's are so common made out of concrete? I mean, its so logical it boggles my mind everytime I see a video of a house being tored open by a tornado.

Some local laws forbid concrete/cinderblock houses? It's cement/concrete prohibitively expensive up there? It's something cultural?

Everything here is made out of concrete. The apartment I live needs a hammer drill and a screw if you want to put something in a wall because the walls spit bent nails(even steel ones) back at you. It would laugh tornados off (except for the windows).

And houses made of concrete can be darn beautiful if made rigth.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2018, 04:38:30 pm by LordBaal »
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #136267 on: August 02, 2018, 04:43:33 pm »

This gets brought up a lot.

The answer is that a big tornado will obliterate a concrete house just as easily as it would a wooden one, and concrete shrapnel is far more destructive than the wooden variety. Not to mention that the replacement cost for a concrete house is much, much higher.

On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #136268 on: August 02, 2018, 05:20:57 pm »

An Earth tornado would destroy a reinforced concrete wall (rebar + concrete)?

Well I guess it could be possible, but only the worst of them? I'm making the uninformed guess a concrete house would protect better and if something hits you in a tornado speed it wouldn't matter much if is wood or concrete you'll be dead anyway.

Wood is expensier here btw.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2018, 05:22:34 pm by LordBaal »
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #136269 on: August 02, 2018, 06:32:49 pm »

Huffpost, but eh.

Quote from: Article
the building would have to be able to withstand 250 miles-per-hour winds, which can launch items as big as a 15-pound two-by-four at 100 mph at walls.

“You would have a concrete bunker. I mean, seriously, think back to your elementary school days. The shelters constructed to observe an atomic bomb blast ... that’s what you would need,” Lingerfelt said. “You can have windows but you would have to have so many layers of glass and make sure the frames were anchored in the concrete and impact-resistant windows.”

Tornadoes do not fuck around. And also, cost and such... Which is probably also why people don't build their houses as low-profile domes.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #136270 on: August 02, 2018, 07:39:25 pm »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Suiyang

That feeling when you eat an entire city because you wont give up and then lose the siege.
I'm not at all a scholar on the subject, but after reading that it seems like they may have lost the battle siege, but won the war.
Even if they all died.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136271 on: August 02, 2018, 07:59:56 pm »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Suiyang

That feeling when you eat an entire city because you wont give up and then lose the siege.
I'm not at all a scholar on the subject, but after reading that it seems like they may have lost the battle siege, but won the war.
Even if they all died.
I'm sure that was a great comfort to the residence of the city who did not get eaten, so like 400 of them.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #136272 on: August 02, 2018, 08:20:47 pm »

I was going to put a big long winded post here of the 'but actually' variety here, but I suppose it's a moot point and it's better to be safe than sorry.   I'll sum it down with a "if you are in a concrete building and away from windows you are probably as safe as you'll likely be" as not all tornados are the devastating F5s and concrete homes capable of standing up to hurricanes can likely stand up to weaker tornados with just some broken glass and some roof damage. As the wind speeds are similar.

But you can't know the size of the tornado coming, and indeed an F5 tornado will devastate a concrete home just as harshly as a wooden one.  But really, at that point if you are getting hit by an F5 you are boned in anything short of a bomb shelter.

Source: I live in a concrete home, that has survived multiple hurricanes unscathed, and what may have been a weak tornado(nobody is sure, might have been a particularly bad downburst)
« Last Edit: August 02, 2018, 08:27:17 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #136273 on: August 02, 2018, 08:36:24 pm »

Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #136274 on: August 02, 2018, 08:57:40 pm »

Huffpost, but eh.

the building would have to be able to withstand 250 miles-per-hour winds, which can launch items as big as a 15-pound two-by-four at 100 mph at walls.

“You would have a concrete bunker. I mean, seriously, think back to your elementary school days. The shelters constructed to observe an atomic bomb blast ... that’s what you would need,” Lingerfelt said. “You can have windows but you would have to have so many layers of glass and make sure the frames were anchored in the concrete and impact-resistant windows.”

Tornadoes do not fuck around. And also, cost and such... Which is probably also why people don't build their houses as low-profile domes.

Filling the whole american tornado route with cement igloos would looks pretty darn cool though. Especially the derserty parts.
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 9083 9084 [9085] 9086 9087 ... 10983