Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9100 9101 [9102] 9103 9104 ... 10981

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13152540 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #136515 on: August 08, 2018, 10:38:41 am »

What do the 'regular' Norwegian made burritos have?

Potatoes and air?
Ground beef. Dry, fry-in-pan ground beef with a foil packet of "Authentic Tex-Mex Spice Mix!" mixed in. Fuck tomato rice, fuck carne asada, fuck carnitas, fuck cheese that has a flavor other than "mild", just... Gah.

Not that Norwegians even know what burritos are, it's just tacos for the traditional Friday taco night, where you can put the dry beef particles and Chalk E. Cheese together with some tomato+water salsa (extra non-threatening, with a touch of sugar for that classic flavor), and maybe some cucumber bricks if you're feeling particularly adventurous. If you're a card-carrying tough guy, you might even pile on a couple soft, pickled jalapeño slices (guaranteed to not have any heat left in them!) to impress the ladies.

People don't even use shredded cabbage. That's how far the bastardization of the bastardization has come.

And why was I eating out? Because I hate everything associated with Scandinavian taco tradition, and when I make tacos it takes about an hour of constant chopping and cooking to get everything right. I was hoping that, maybe, this place might be able to make something resembling a resemblance of Mexican food, since, as Scriver indicates, everyone just makes their own at home.

I was wrong. But then again, they really are more interested in their coffee and their new wave industrial scrap metal interior.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #136516 on: August 08, 2018, 10:59:51 am »

(outside of the fast-food hard shell, which is an early 20th century American bastardization)
I'm not sure how hard tacos are even theoretically supposed to work, but the fast food ones completely fail as food containers.  One bite and they just shatter, spilling everything, unless you wait long enough to make them a bit soggy in which case what's the point

There's a reason that it has been 20 years since the last time I deliberately ate a hard shell taco.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #136517 on: August 08, 2018, 11:18:46 am »

Like... I haven't ate hard shell tacos with anything in them in about as long (though I have occasionally munched on one by itself as a snack. Things are basically a giant tortilla chip.), but vis a vis a point I personally do something similar with chicken. I really, really like pretty dry chicken (or turkey, or whatever when it comes to meat), and a significant portion of the why is because it's way better than juicer chicken at soaking up other flavors. If the taco juices are what's softening the shell and it's causing the flavor to infuse the thing, that might be the "point" right there.

... now, if that's not what's happening, then I got nothing.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #136518 on: August 08, 2018, 12:15:40 pm »

I make my own taco seasoning and use red pepper, sharp cheddar, onion, sour cream and lime.

*cool guy metal riff*
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #136519 on: August 08, 2018, 12:39:15 pm »

I make my own taco seasoning and use red pepper, sharp cheddar, onion, sour cream and lime.

*cool guy metal riff*

That's because you have access to sour cream. We have rømme, which is a lot like sour cream, except not sour.

I don't really make seasoning, because I don't generally have meat. But if I'm going to make up some chicken or fish fillets, I'll basically just grind up a pinch of cumin for it... Dress with a drop of lime and a couple leaves of cilantro afterwards. Don't need much else. A little cumin is Mexican seasoning, a lot of cumin is Indian seasoning, so take it easy.

Normally the "meat" of my tacos is a veggie chili. Black beans, spoonful of tomato paste, orange sweet potatoes, onion, garlic, oil, mass quantities of black pepper. That's about it.

Salsa is a big bushel of cilantro, tomatoes, lots of squeezed limes, green onion, and tomatillos if I could fucking buy some... But I can't, so it's a little empty.

Serve with choice of cheese, something that can pass for sour cream (I actually kinda prefer a nice and sour goat yoghurt to traditional sour cream, but good fuckin' luck finding anything like that out here), homemade guacamole (I again prefer to keep it simple... Just ripe avocado, lime juice, salt and garlic), and a small dish of minced habanero steeping in lime juice.

It's not traditional Mexican by a long shot, but god damn at least it's not the sterile, tasteless fodder that's all the rage in the traditional Norwegian household.

What the fuck even is nonfat yoghurt? What's the point?

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #136520 on: August 08, 2018, 12:43:54 pm »

Clearly the price for high living standards is the death of proper cuisine.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136521 on: August 08, 2018, 12:46:43 pm »

I use Cumin in my taco seasoning, it it basically the best spice.

What the fuck even is nonfat yoghurt? What's the point?

I cannot answer this. Noone can answer this.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #136522 on: August 08, 2018, 12:49:42 pm »

I actually kinda' hate cumin. Not because of the taste, but because the damn stuff looks basically identical to cinnamon and I have to regularly stop myself from putting cumin on something I was trying to put cinnamon on. I haven't done it yet, but the stuff's cost me minutes of my life to having to put it back up and find the cinnamon.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136523 on: August 08, 2018, 12:51:51 pm »

I literally bought cinnamon instead of cumin the other day, its cool. It's not fair that they are alphabetically close to each other on the supermaket spice rack.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #136524 on: August 08, 2018, 12:52:16 pm »

You should probably use less salt though Kagus

That's because you have access to sour cream. We have rømme, which is a lot like sour cream, except not sour.

This is like literally the liest of lies. There's no place on earth that has greater variety of soured milk products than here, we literally invented like 90% of them, and I have absolutely no belief it would be different in Norway.

I actually kinda' hate cumin. Not because of the taste, but because the damn stuff looks basically identical to cinnamon and I have to regularly stop myself from putting cumin on something I was trying to put cinnamon on. I haven't done it yet, but the stuff's cost me minutes of my life to having to put it back up and find the cinnamon.

Too easy
Love, scriver~

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #136525 on: August 08, 2018, 01:02:28 pm »

This is why you buy the seeds instead of the powder, and then just grind it up when you're gonna use it for something. Much easier to distinguish, flavor's also fresher.

Although, admittedly, they can kinda be a little irritating to grind properly...

Fun fact: Cumin's name in Norwegian is normally "spisskumin". Like, they have the word "kumin" already, but cumin has to be "spisskumin", which means "pointy cumin". I have no idea why.

You should probably use less salt though Kagus
No, the salt comes from within when I am faced with Norwegian grocery stores.

This is like literally the liest of lies. There's no place on earth that has greater variety of soured milk products than here, we literally invented like 90% of them, and I have absolutely no belief it would be different in Norway.
And yet none of them are actually sour, and not a single one came from any animal other than a cow. At least, that's the status quo here in Norway. For whatever reason, Swedes got the idea in their heads that maybe providing an actual selection of different types of foods (particularly dairy products) might be a nice idea.

For Norway, we've only grudgingly allowed garlic to exist in the last decade or so. And let us not forget the time we tried to "convenience-ize" leeks by selling them pre-packaged with all the greens chopped off.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #136526 on: August 08, 2018, 01:06:35 pm »

"Spisskummin" means "eating/food kummin", Kagus. "Spis-" means "eating/food/to do with eating".
Love, scriver~

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #136527 on: August 08, 2018, 01:09:11 pm »

"Spisskummin" means "eating/food kummin", Kagus. "Spis-" means "eating/food/to do with eating".
That's just the the one 's'. Spiss with two 's's means "pointy" or "pointed" over here on the left. Presumably something to do with the flavor being sharp, I'unno.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #136528 on: August 08, 2018, 01:12:59 pm »

Huh. My Grandpappy is Danish. Makes me wonder what kind of culinary works he'd put on if I were to visit.
Given my love of equatorial food, maybe would be terrifying. My last experience with borscht was unhappy, and lutefisk shows similar appeal.

*cool guy taco riff*
I make chicken, but yeah high fives for homemade spice mixes.

As for the cumin debate, I just checked my pantry so's I could give some a whiff, and I've got nothin'. So clearly it is a chump spice for beefeaters.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136529 on: August 08, 2018, 01:16:45 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 02:13:43 pm by dragdeler »
let
Pages: 1 ... 9100 9101 [9102] 9103 9104 ... 10981