Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9101 9102 [9103] 9104 9105 ... 10983

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13171680 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #136530 on: August 08, 2018, 01:20:49 pm »

"Spisskummin" means "eating/food kummin", Kagus. "Spis-" means "eating/food/to do with eating".
That's just the the one 's'. Spiss with two 's's means "pointy" or "pointed" over here on the left. Presumably something to do with the flavor being sharp, I'unno.

That's probably just a happenstance change. Occam's razor suggests that if "spis" has to do with eating and food, and the item is called "spiskummin" in the other Scandinavian languages (by which I only mean Swedish), and the item is food related, the "spis" part probably relates to food.
Love, scriver~

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #136531 on: August 08, 2018, 01:36:04 pm »

Awwwwww Yoghurt and Cream, don't you DARE be sour!

Clap for your world famous no taste champs

and FEEELLLL the POWWWEERRR!

ITS A BLAND DAY, YES IT IS
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #136532 on: August 08, 2018, 02:14:57 pm »

Spisskumin, also spisskum, spisskummen or spisskarve (karve is caroway, something completely different. So they just named cumin as "pointy caroway" because fuck it, close enough) is also known as kreuzkümmel in German. Because if being pointy wasn't enough, now it needs to be a cross as well. Today we learned that cumin is actually nature's shuriken.

Also, according to to the Big Norwegian Lexicon (which hilariously gets abbreviated to "SNL" in the website address), the "spiss" is actually from some ancient fuckoff root of "spice"... Because it is a spice. Note that "spiss" is not used for "spice" in any other circumstance that I know of.

So it's not that they felt the need to indicate that this was a particularly pointy cumin, or even a cumin meant for eating, but they just wanted to make absolutely clear that this is the spice kind of cumin, as opposed to the other kind of cumin, which is likely a laundry detergent.

And it's weird... Scandis do actually have a lot of very inventive/flavorful dishes, it's just that the standard fare is incredibly dull and grey. Like, there were people who went "Hey, let's put caroway seeds in cheese, that'd be cool! Also let's call it KEY CHEESE so people understand what it is!", and of course aquavit is a massively spiced schnapps that has all sorts of curious mixes infused into it. We also like to pair gamey meats like deer with cranberry jam, and Norwegian Christmas ribs are a thing of beauty if done correctly.

It's just... When other traditional dishes are "MUTTON AND CABBAGE", "MUTTON AGAIN, BUT NO CABBAGE" and "COD, BUT IT'S JIGGLY AND SMELLS LIKE FARTS"... Yeah. Like, the big sides of lutefisk are just mushy peas and butter, and lutefisk really doesn't taste like anything on its own. The entire meal is generally just considered to be an excuse to drink more aquavit, because aquavit is so massively overpowering in its flavor and alcohol content that it will slice straight through everything.

But garlic is fuckin' scary, mate.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #136533 on: August 08, 2018, 02:26:12 pm »

Oh! Oh! We do game and cranberry jam here too! o/

It's usually around the holidays for my family, but I always got the idea we were unique for doing it.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #136534 on: August 08, 2018, 03:20:51 pm »

Spisskumin, also spisskum, spisskummen or spisskarve (karve is caroway, something completely different. So they just named cumin as "pointy caroway" because fuck it, close enough) is also known as kreuzkümmel in German. Because if being pointy wasn't enough, now it needs to be a cross as well. Today we learned that cumin is actually nature's shuriken.

Also, according to to the Big Norwegian Lexicon (which hilariously gets abbreviated to "SNL" in the website address), the "spiss" is actually from some ancient fuckoff root of "spice"... Because it is a spice. Note that "spiss" is not used for "spice" in any other circumstance that I know of.

There's a 199% chance that spice relation is directly related to the spis=eat meaning.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The parts that is supposed to bring taste to the traditional lutfisk is the white sauce and the mustard, though.
Love, scriver~

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136535 on: August 08, 2018, 03:23:21 pm »

In America, everything is drenched in as much flavor as can be physically packed into an object regardless of the method or substances used, and eating too much if it will absolutely kill you eventually.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136536 on: August 08, 2018, 03:26:58 pm »

In America, everything is drenched in as much flavor as can be physically packed into an object regardless of the method or substances used, and eating too much if it will absolutely kill you eventually.

Fortunately, us 'Mericans strictly adhere to the five food groups: Salt, sugar, fat, sugar, and Mcdonald's. Honestly this obesity thing is a hoax don't believe the media.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136537 on: August 08, 2018, 03:38:31 pm »

Fortunately, us 'Mericans strictly adhere to the five food groups: Salt, sugar, fat, sugar, and Mcdonald's. Honestly this obesity thing is a hoax don't believe the media.

We are like unto a Voltron of flavor.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #136538 on: August 08, 2018, 04:12:21 pm »

For Norway, we've only grudgingly allowed garlic to exist in the last decade or so. And let us not forget the time we tried to "convenience-ize" leeks by selling them pre-packaged with all the greens chopped off.

Is it true that Norwegians find bell pepper/onion to be too spicy?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #136539 on: August 08, 2018, 04:32:40 pm »

For Norway, we've only grudgingly allowed garlic to exist in the last decade or so. And let us not forget the time we tried to "convenience-ize" leeks by selling them pre-packaged with all the greens chopped off.

Is it true that Norwegians find bell pepper/onion to be too spicy?
My grandmother finds onions to be too spicy for her, yes. But that's not exactly a norm, it's just funny.

Fresh jalapeños are generally too spicy (and yes I'm aware that there's a massive variation in spice levels with jalapeños, but bear with me) for most. This fact is what piqued my curiosity when I saw a new cheese type being advertised here; an "explosion of flavor", jalapeño and habanero cheese. Checking the ingredients list, I discovered that the cheese contained around 2-3% jalapeño, and 0.5% habanero. This is likely as hot as it's gonna get for a lot of Norwegians.

Which was great fun back in the creative arts school, when I started munching on the decorative chili plants they'd set up in the cafeteria and some milkbread Norskies tried following my example.

Was also great fun when I took the challenge of eating that too-hot-for-consumption hamburger and my running mate threw in the towel after a single bite. I deeply regretted many things related to that burger, but the look on his face wasn't one of them.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #136540 on: August 08, 2018, 04:37:25 pm »

And I used to think the "white people spicy" food here was bland.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #136541 on: August 08, 2018, 04:38:03 pm »

We are like unto a Voltron of flavor.

Voltron of Diabeetus
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #136542 on: August 08, 2018, 04:49:41 pm »

Right... right.

You guys spent four pages talking about food, which kinda devolved into a tangential argument about Scandinavian languages among two of the, like, four people in world that speak ‘em.

My WTF Alf the day is that I am still angry about someone nearly causing me to drive into them yesterday, and hypothetically nearly causing me to crash into someone else.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #136543 on: August 08, 2018, 04:59:28 pm »

My WTF Alf the day is that I am still angry about someone nearly causing me to drive into them yesterday, and hypothetically nearly causing me to crash into someone else.
Mingery loves company.

Also, you should be proud of Scandinavian-related topics after all we've done for the Scots! We gave you the cornerstones of your very culture, like red hair and alcoholism!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #136544 on: August 08, 2018, 05:24:54 pm »

Grandfather seems to be trying to suggest he could get me the job of auditor for the town's finances. Now, on one hand, he probably could. On the other, A, I'm actually employed at the moment and pretty content with it, and B, my first prospective professional advice as a potential auditor for a town's fiances: Don't hire the grandchild of a former city official on the basis of a 2 year general accounting degree and no experience.

Like holy shit even if they can do the job and you're really that sodding desperate it is incredibly hard to make a hiring decision that looks sketchier than that does. Neps harder than a neptunia meme, bloody hell.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 9101 9102 [9103] 9104 9105 ... 10983