Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9109 9110 [9111] 9112 9113 ... 10983

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13182319 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #136650 on: August 10, 2018, 04:36:38 pm »

Even in the event that was true, why would it matter?

To a certain brand of religious crazy anything from other religions or in any way involving supernatural themes is evil magic being used to corrupt children into demon worshippers.

Remember the D&D satanic panic?

... which is sadly not a parody but an actual artifact of the panic.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136651 on: August 10, 2018, 04:37:36 pm »

Shitty day. First, lost the stylus for my 3DS. Somehow fell out despite the fact I was holding it stylus-hole-side up. No idea where it landed in my mom's jeep. Second, and probably a whole lot more important, I threatened my boss with legal action if he didn't fire an employee who thought it was funny to barricade me into a corner with several clothing racks at the end of the day. I didn't see him on the way out, so I told one of the other managers - said manager is also my sister, so I know she'll relay the message.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #136652 on: August 10, 2018, 04:43:34 pm »

"Goddamn kids these days with their premarital sex orgies, cocaine marijuanas, and Super Marios."

All of this sounds wonderful.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #136653 on: August 10, 2018, 04:53:14 pm »

To a certain brand of religious crazy anything from other religions or in any way involving supernatural themes is evil magic being used to corrupt children into demon worshippers.

The movie was better
https://youtu.be/LADLv1803Vw
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136654 on: August 10, 2018, 05:17:54 pm »

The movie was better
https://youtu.be/LADLv1803Vw

Nah, people in the 1980s were losing their minds over this shit. It would all be funny, but there are actually still people in prison because of the mass satanic hysteria, of which the Chick comics were a palatable product.

You can't "update" Dark Dungeons in the same way that you can't update "Duck and Cover". Both only make sense within the cultural milieu that created them, and they are darkly humorous only because of that. Duck and Cover is the friendly face of imminent nuclear annihilation and Dark Dungeons is the friendly face of the massive literal witch hunts that were going on in the 1980s.

You could make a better "Duck and Cover" movie, however it loses the "holy shit they really believed this crap" element, and the amount that it fails is actually an important part of the charm: The charm of the Chick comics is the same: the fact that the main character can't go visit her friend because she's "fighting the zombie" while playing D&D, completely by herself, adds to the charm, and the movie loses that.

Dark Dungeons the comic has pop-culture historical significance, the movie is just a pointless bad movie, and is only meaningful if you read the comic.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 05:41:40 pm by Reelya »

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #136655 on: August 10, 2018, 05:28:47 pm »

Chick tracts can be pretty funny
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #136656 on: August 10, 2018, 05:42:30 pm »

Ah, Jack Chick. Where in the same panel you can have the hiii-larious pop cultural reference of Professor McGonagall as a witch at a coven, at the same time as you have one of the evil leaders being a caricature of a stereotypical 'Jew.'

The shadows even make it look like he's wearing a yarmulke in a previous panel.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #136657 on: August 10, 2018, 05:51:34 pm »

We could spend the rest of the month WTF'ing over Jack Chick and his incredibly bold outright chicanery.

I'd be fine with this. Behold, the part of Christianity where we fight vampires. Bet you didn't know we did that on Thursdays.

FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136658 on: August 10, 2018, 06:30:22 pm »

I mean to be fair, Satan's job description DOES include lying, that's kinda something he's known for

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #136659 on: August 10, 2018, 07:01:48 pm »

I mean to be fair, Satan's job description DOES include lying, that's kinda something he's known for

... Are you sure? I seem to recall Satan giving humans knowledge of right and wrong, a little minor thing God denied us, then punished us for acquiring. Almost like it would allow us to realize how unrepentantly evil God was and Satan was doing us a solid that was subsequently spun into some hideously evil act by the dictator in charge.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #136660 on: August 10, 2018, 07:05:11 pm »

Wasn’t Satan a creation of God, too? ‘cause that seems like a big deal.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #136661 on: August 10, 2018, 07:06:13 pm »

Didn't God put them in a place where there was literally no hardship?

What an asshole.

Also, it's bad idea to bring the religion thread into the WTF thread.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #136662 on: August 10, 2018, 07:17:04 pm »

Its fucking 105°f outside. This is 48° north at 2500ft elevation not fucking coastal equatorial africa go the fuck home nature
« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 07:28:36 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #136663 on: August 10, 2018, 07:23:42 pm »

... Are you sure? I seem to recall Satan giving humans knowledge of right and wrong, a little minor thing God denied us, then punished us for acquiring. Almost like it would allow us to realize how unrepentantly evil God was and Satan was doing us a solid that was subsequently spun into some hideously evil act by the dictator in charge.
T'wasn't Satan. It was just a snake. It got equalled to old scratch later down the line.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136664 on: August 10, 2018, 07:28:21 pm »

Didn't God put them in a place where there was literally no hardship?

What an asshole.

God was a passive aggressive asshole. Deliberately puts them in a perfect place, but puts this huge tree covered in the best fruit ever right in the middle of the place and says not to touch the fruit, while the snake he created is telling them something else. Then God acts all surprised at the outcome, which he clearly knew would happen before he even started. God was the creator, if man was flawed and therefore was destined to eat the fruit, then that's God's fault since he's the all-powerful and all-knowing creator. Only a poor workman blames his tools.

God then proceeds to rub it in our faces, for eternity. Showing someone perfection then snatching it away so you can never be satisfied with anything else is being an asshole.

If God was human, he'd be passive aggressive, an emotional manipulator and a narcissist. "Oh no you ate the fruit, you've betrayed me (all according to plan heheheh). Now suffer for eternity, and it's all your fault, not mine". Considering that this guy concocted the whole scenario and knew beforehand what was going to happen, he's a true "class act".

With the way he's shown to carry on in the Bible, he's also a schizophrenic, sociopathic psychopath considering some of the random shit he pulls later.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 07:36:29 pm by Reelya »
Pages: 1 ... 9109 9110 [9111] 9112 9113 ... 10983