Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9117 9118 [9119] 9120 9121 ... 10983

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13179669 times)

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #136770 on: August 13, 2018, 03:02:42 pm »

Star Trek was a mid-1960s TV show. The notion of a white man being forced to kiss a black woman was almost too scandalous to show - nobody would have even considered a gay main character.

Being forced? That's definitely not the way I remember it.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #136771 on: August 13, 2018, 03:42:57 pm »

Being forced? That's definitely not the way I remember it.

Per wikipedia: "The episode portrays the kiss as involuntary, being forced by telekinesis, perhaps to avoid any hint of romance that would risk outrage among some viewers"
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #136772 on: August 13, 2018, 03:50:38 pm »

Exactly. They were under mind control at the time, in a deliberate attempt to avoid offending Southern viewers. Shatner was adamant that the kiss go through, and had to sabotage the shit out of the filming to force them to use the one good take (where the two actually kiss) instead of the "near miss" takes that the network wanted them to use.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #136773 on: August 13, 2018, 03:53:34 pm »

Was eating peanut M&M's, when suddenly one tasted like wasabi.

"Dick Rot" actually sounds like a good name for a character.
Or a band.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #136774 on: August 13, 2018, 04:03:38 pm »

When Star Trek Beyond (the third part of the reboot series) revealed that Sulu was gay (as a tribute to George Takai)
What's funny about this is that George Takei himself didn't really like that retcon. Said that he never saw Sulu as being gay when he portrayed him.

Was eating peanut M&M's, when suddenly one tasted like wasabi.
Sure they're not Bertie Bott's?

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #136775 on: August 13, 2018, 04:16:21 pm »

When Star Trek Beyond (the third part of the reboot series) revealed that Sulu was gay (as a tribute to George Takai)
What's funny about this is that George Takei himself didn't really like that retcon. Said that he never saw Sulu as being gay when he portrayed him.

Probably because it's vaguely insulting. Suddenly they want to compensate years of discrimination by labelling every character a gay actor has played as... gay? Somehow it manages to be discriminatory in itself, even.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #136776 on: August 13, 2018, 04:36:49 pm »

It's to soothe the masses... If people go around believing that a gay man can convincingly play a straight person, they'll put two and two together and start thinking that maybe there are homosexuals all around us, but they're just disguised as normal, heterosexual people.

Showing that gay people can only pretend to be other gay people is the only thing standing between society as we know it, and mass pandemonium.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #136777 on: August 13, 2018, 04:48:41 pm »

Well put.  I have a lot of respect for Takei, particularly that statement about Sulu.  People should be careful about confusing actors and characters.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #136778 on: August 13, 2018, 06:02:29 pm »

People practicing their Crutch-walker skills for when a forbidden beast attacks?

Also, I found a way people  could help me without doing much from their part and without much effort but I'm afraid people (mostly you guys, you are people right?) will think badly from it.

I think badly enough as it us, I don't need you making me dumber.

(This is a joke.)

Is it Patreon? Because, from what I've heard, I'd gladly do that for you.
I've been trying to put up a patreon page, in fact already registered but haven't been able to produce any content on for it to earn the support of people. I have several horrid stories I would like to make into short tales, perhaps that could be enough to earn some tips there? These tales are mostly right from my nightmares which oddly abound. But no, what I found (or rather was suggested by someone else) is something about coinpot.

I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #136779 on: August 14, 2018, 11:38:10 am »

That feeling where the first named character you encounter in a written work is "Dong Dong".

I get it, world, it's a translation thing. But... still.

Trembling World is the work. No clue if it's worth a damn, yet, Dong Dong was like two paragraphs in and just before the apparent rain of blood.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #136780 on: August 14, 2018, 11:56:34 am »

Are you reading the literary adaptation of the hit fighting game Dong Dong Never Die?
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #136781 on: August 14, 2018, 12:04:26 pm »

... no. No relation. I think. Maybe.

Didn't know that existed before now, actually. But no, isn't that.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #136782 on: August 14, 2018, 12:23:50 pm »

Yeah, at that point you may as well just rename them to Alexander Graham.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #136783 on: August 14, 2018, 09:03:44 pm »

WTF being an adult is nuts man.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 09:18:58 pm by Hanslanda »
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #136784 on: August 14, 2018, 09:07:14 pm »

but hans i thought you said you were a good adult
« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 09:40:29 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
Pages: 1 ... 9117 9118 [9119] 9120 9121 ... 10983