Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9170 9171 [9172] 9173 9174 ... 10983

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13167249 times)

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #137565 on: September 04, 2018, 02:37:38 pm »

Ooh, only thing better than a uniform is arbitrary visual identifiers of rank. Mooks in silver and leaders in red? Tack’s gonna spend a minute dreaming in his head.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #137566 on: September 04, 2018, 03:47:30 pm »

Didn't the US already do transparent backpacks?
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #137567 on: September 04, 2018, 03:50:42 pm »

Didn't the US already do transparent backpacks?

It was possible to buy them, but they were never required.

Hell, my high school didn't even care if you took your backpack from class to class every day.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #137568 on: September 04, 2018, 03:57:49 pm »

Huh, I thought I remembered seeing a big fuss about transparent backpacks and what an invasion of privacy they were, back when CNN and its crisis actors were busily milking that shooting in Florida for all it was worth... and before I got banned from the meme groups from which I used to get pretty much the entirety of my information on international current events. :P

Speaking of highschools and backpacks, I remember once following someone I didn't like after lunch, matching my pace to theirs, stealthily unzipping their bag and inserting the freshly-chewed core of the apple I'd just finished eating, before zipping it up again.
Could I have done that without it promptly being discovered if my school had some tyrannical transparent backpack policy?? I think not!
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #137569 on: September 04, 2018, 04:06:00 pm »

Well I've only been to like one county's schools.

But I do remember them being buyable around elementary or so.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #137570 on: September 04, 2018, 04:08:20 pm »

Transparent pencil cases for exams here. Though that's just common sense really.

Wonder if they enforce that one at Eton.
One wheel short of a wagon

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137571 on: September 04, 2018, 04:31:14 pm »

After an argument with my supervisor this morning, as well as events from yesterday, I had a little meeting with the boss. All I got out of that was confirmation that they see me as little more than a crutch.

What kind of sadistic high school would ake you wear a uniform

Mine? Wasn't really a uniform, just a dress code that nobody really bothered with.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137572 on: September 04, 2018, 04:57:37 pm »

I guarantee you if uniforms became sold and standard like textbooks, it would cost at least $80 to buy one, you would have to buy a new one each year (even if the old one still fit perfectly), a new one if yours gets damaged is at least $150, and knowing how poorly the government handles things, there would be three sizes, and if you fall outside of those sizes, you have to wear poorly fitting clothing, and if it fits too poorly, you get punished for it, and in colleges at least, athletes would be completely exempt from uniforms... and if I can go on a tangent here, according to one of my friends who happens to be a parent (I confirmed it as well) replacing a text book costs I believe it was actually about 150 dollars (the number from before was just random) when the book is sold online by the publisher/manufacturer for about 40 dollars

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #137573 on: September 04, 2018, 05:40:04 pm »

Freaking textbook racket.
The dang things are a hundred bucks apiece!
Honestly they're worth more like 25 or 30.
In the event the textbooks are cheap, they're accompanied by a code or whatever to access online content that makes up the difference.
It's maddening.
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #137574 on: September 04, 2018, 06:13:17 pm »

Huh, I thought I remembered seeing a big fuss about transparent backpacks and what an invasion of privacy they were, back when CNN and its crisis actors were busily milking that shooting in Florida for all it was worth... and before I got banned from the meme groups from which I used to get pretty much the entirety of my information on international current events. :P

To be entirely blunt, if I said that kinda shit about Port Arthur, you'd be fething pissed mate. Kindly show a little respect for our dead children.

"They're just actors!"

Tell that to the tombstones.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #137575 on: September 04, 2018, 06:19:46 pm »

Why is it when some people want to talk shit to you on the road, they do it through a half or 1/3rd rolled down window.

It's like, why talk shit if the other person can't understand half of what you're saying. Man road rage is such a strange study in human psychology, the potent mix of fear and aggression makes for a lot of weird, hesitant half measures. Like "Imma gone stare at you like I'm some kind of badass, but I'm going to leave my window rolled up so you can't hear any of the super manly shit talk I'm doing." I literally just watched a guy cycle through waves of "fuck you. Oh fuck.....no, fuck you. Oh fuck......"

Like, fucking commit. Or at least get a handle on your adrenaline so you don't go from raging like a crazy person to cringing like a pussy.

Freaking textbook racket.
The dang things are a hundred bucks apiece!
Honestly they're worth more like 25 or 30.
In the event the textbooks are cheap, they're accompanied by a code or whatever to access online content that makes up the difference.
It's maddening.

Used textbook stores exist. Also Amazon. As long as you get the right edition and leave yourself enough time to receive it....why play the game.

Although textbook manufacturers have cottoned on to this a while ago, and usually include some kind of dumb supplement no one keeps but that your teacher is sure to use. I swear some college professors are complicit in the textbook racket. Why else would you make your lesson plan more complicated by including some arbitrary crap the manufacturer included to screw over 3rd party sales...unless you're getting a cut.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2018, 06:24:33 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137576 on: September 04, 2018, 06:34:58 pm »

Used textbook stores exist.
The schools say you aren't allowed to use old textbooks

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #137577 on: September 04, 2018, 06:42:33 pm »

Yeah there are stupid arbitrary rules like that that are blatant cashcows everywhere. I had to buy a fuckig horrible jumpsuit for gym class at college. It was mandatory to buy one despite me having a perfectly suitable one. The complaints got so out of hand they started to change the jumpsuit design from semester to semester to try to mask it. People keep complaining and they eventually just raised the inscription quota and said it included the jumpsuit. Complaints stopped, fucking human psychology.

Gladly it was only for the first semester.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2018, 06:46:00 pm by LordBaal »
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #137578 on: September 04, 2018, 07:07:21 pm »

Used textbook stores exist.
The schools say you aren't allowed to use old textbooks

Of course they do. Again the question is the supplements, and whether your professor will leverage them in the course. And you can kinda tell that by looking at the text book they're selling, if it has an accompanying "study guide." Generally I've found younger teachers are the ones that buy in to that crap. At least half of my older professors in college just leveled with me about textbooks, either saying "buy it used" "buy it new" or "this textbook thing is such horseshit I printed out my own study packets. Please pay me $5."
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137579 on: September 04, 2018, 07:45:45 pm »

The college I worked at actually encouraged getting used books... except the math course which had an online component accessible via single-user codes that only come with a new book.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.
Pages: 1 ... 9170 9171 [9172] 9173 9174 ... 10983