Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9177 9178 [9179] 9180 9181 ... 10983

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13164044 times)

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #137670 on: September 08, 2018, 12:09:47 pm »

Not to mention the rather famous Science! cult recruitment tract masquerading as analytical fanfiction.
Whaaat?
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #137671 on: September 08, 2018, 12:13:08 pm »

Was there an acute need to induce nosebleed? To relieve pressure on the brain?

Cocaine doesn't cause nosebleeds.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #137672 on: September 08, 2018, 12:14:03 pm »

Snorting does though
Love, scriver~

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #137675 on: September 08, 2018, 12:32:22 pm »

Not to mention the rather famous Science! cult recruitment tract masquerading as analytical fanfiction.
Whaaat?
He's referring
One wheel short of a wagon

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #137677 on: September 08, 2018, 12:37:20 pm »

Whaaat?
I think he means Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality.

Googling tells me it's about thinking analytically and stuff. Making good decisions based on being rational, because nobody ever tries to do that.

The person who wrote it works with or is connected to the charlatans at MIRI, confirming a law I've observed: take any reasonable idea and push it to extremes, then turn that into a movement, and you'll inevitably end up with strong-AI nutters, usually MIRI ones.

That's the second time I've guessed a text from a fairly opaque referent today without having read it. Perhaps I have a vocation. If a rather dull one.
One wheel short of a wagon

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #137678 on: September 08, 2018, 12:43:03 pm »

And then Dumbledore came in, shouting "WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING YOU MOTHERFUKERS!"
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #137681 on: September 08, 2018, 12:52:16 pm »

I wisely/unwisely made a foray into the parts of the internet where fanfiction is stored.

I have never laughed as hard in my life as when I inadvertently found some of this slash stuff that is probably not safe to list here.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #137682 on: September 08, 2018, 12:57:04 pm »

Whaaat?
I think he means Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality.

Googling tells me it's about thinking analytically and stuff. Making good decisions based on being rational, because nobody ever tries to do that.

The person who wrote it works with or is connected to the charlatans at MIRI, confirming a law I've observed: take any reasonable idea and push it to extremes, then turn that into a movement, and you'll inevitably end up with strong-AI nutters, usually MIRI ones.

That's the second time I've guessed a text from a fairly opaque referent today without having read it. Perhaps I have a vocation. If a rather dull one.

That's exactly correct. Besides being technically a HP fanfiction fanfiction (the author proudly states that he stopped reading the actual books because he found them too childish, and preferred the "more grown up" fanfictions), all of the science in the fic is bunk. The "methods of rationality" in the title bear more resemblance to The Secret than they do to actual science, and the writing is fairly poor. Even the core premise (analyzing the Wiazarding world instead of taking it as a place of wonder) falls apart when you realize that all the rules Mouthpiece is breaking through Science! are ones tje author made up in the first place.

Other, minor considerations - casual misogyny, the fact that Mouthpiece is almost cartoolishly evil, the fact that the author tried to sell it - are also problems.

On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #137683 on: September 08, 2018, 01:00:22 pm »

I wisely/unwisely made a foray into the parts of the internet where fanfiction is stored.

I have never laughed as hard in my life as when I inadvertently found some of this slash stuff that is probably not safe to list here.
I used to be somewhat addicted to dramatic readings of badfics... Normally not too graphic, but then you get utter terrors like the Link x Author Insert marriage fantasy.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #137684 on: September 08, 2018, 01:05:42 pm »

I think it's fairer to say you'll end up with zealots.  Usually explicitly religious, sometimes not.

"Strong-AI nutters" are very specific case of "going too far with with a reasonable idea".
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.
Pages: 1 ... 9177 9178 [9179] 9180 9181 ... 10983